GreyHorde

The Wannabe at ReaperCon Painting Challenge '07

Welcome! You can get the general idea here; the following are guidelines, subject to revision as we go.

Disclaimer: this is not a Reaper event. It is completely fan-based and unofficial. No copyright infringement...no endorsement...no animals were harmed in the making...aww, you get the idea. All references to ReaperCon and related deadlines are intended only as arbitrary target dates, just something to shoot for in this challenge. Play at your own risk.

The Challenge

By 11:59 PM on Thursday, May 17th , paint a single miniature as if you were actually going to ReaperCon and entering some part of the painting contest. There are no prizes offered at the time of this posting, but that could change if response is good and there's a lot of demand for it. Again, the real incentives are to try something a little different. Challenge yourself. State a goal publically and push yourself to meet it. Challenge your friends and encourage them to meet their goals. Offer advice and constructive criticism. Play some one-upsmanship. Try a little ‘anything you can do’ attitude. Keep it light, though -- standard forum rules re: family atmosphere, posting, linking and such still apply.

How it Works

1. Accept the Single Challenge by posting here in this thread. HONOR SYSTEM CLASSIFYING: Professional and Amateur. Pro is defined (here) as someone making a living at painting miniatures via direct employment, commission work, etc. Amateurs are everyone else, from beginners to serious almost-pros. You know who you are, just identify your class when you respond to this challenge.
  2. A list of participants will be updated in this thread as they are added, grouped into Pro’s and Amateurs.
  3. Paint any Reaper mini. Only a Reaper mini will be considered. Use current or discontinued DHL, Warlord, CAV, Exalted, etc. Whatever you want to paint & post is fine.
  4. WIP photos: optional, in the WIP topic. Most contests do not allow WIP pics, and you wouldn’t want to tip your hand, anyway. This is not a real contest, so I’d like to try something different here – community involvement. If you want help and advice, post away. If you want to make a tutorial on competitive painting, go for it.
  5. It probably goes without saying, but just in case: do your own painting, and non-Reaper mini entries will be disqualified.
  6. Prior to the deadline, post final photos here in this thread. After winners are announced, feel free to post again in Show Off.
  7. Between the entry deadline and the end of ReaperCon, vote once each here in this thread for Best Pro Mini and Best Amateur Mini. Voting is open to any Reaper forum member, not just Challenge participants.
  8. On Sunday, May 20 votes will be tallied and winners announced.

That's it. The gauntlet has been thrown. Any takers? The list, so far:

Amateur Division

Alisandra

Dyelan

Fruggs

Sanael

Dargrin

Nissiana

Tommy

Voladilk

Darthiir

Ironworker

Vil-hatarn

ecs05norway

Pro Division

Versutus Vulpes

Rocky

Jabberwocky

More updates to follow. Ask questions and we'll work it out.

I'd like to get some of my shiny new CAV painted up if I have time...at the least, I'll put up my Warlord elves, maybe a DHL or two.

Hmmm, which mini to paint, which mini to paint. Just hope I have enough time to paint it! Oh and definitely amateur for me!

is te wannabe comp still open for people who want to try?

I would like to. Also I would be Amature and it would be a DHL figure or diorama I have to decide which and what....

is te wannabe comp still open for people who want to try?

I would like to. Also I would be Amature and it would be a DHL figure or diorama I have to decide which and what....

Sure! Come on in, the water's fine...

I'm in.

I have one painted up already but my basing is kind of blah.

Ooooooohhhh...

Getting to be a crowded field here... :mellow:

Should make for some nice work.

Suppose I should get started soon eh?

Does single mini exclude the use of familiars etc?

It's good to see things heating up! There's no deadline for entry, only for completion. So, it's not too late to kick in here and strut your painting stuff.

Just a reminder -- please see the top of the thread for the current list. Some names are shown under an 'unranked' division because I wasn't sure where they should be. If you see your name there, post up or PM to let me know if you should be in Pro or Amateur and I'll make the adjustment.

V.V. -- Familiars are cool, as are dioramas, multi-models, fight scenes, etc. Anything you would enter at ReaperCon would be great.

Using your guidlines I guess I would consider myself an Amateur. I don't paint for a living and use only sales as non-profit (all goes back into painting supplies). If you think other wise, I won't have any problem with it.::):

Eh, why not? My show closes next weekend, and then I should have evenings free to paint again. Sign me up for amateur! ::D: