I have a 2,000 point army idea I was kicking around. I decided to go through the process and see how many models I could cram into a 2,000 point army. It's pretty basic, but I think it might actually work. :upside:

King Thorgram + MW + GMA

11 Warriors

Musician

Standard Bearer

Totem of Battle

Fulumbar + MW

7 Halberdiers

Musician

Standard Bearer

Gargram

5 Halberdiers

Musician

Standard Bearer

Gargram

5 Warriors

Musician

Standard Bearer

Gargram

5 Halberdiers

Musician

Standard Bearer

Totals: 1,996 Points, 38 Models, 5 Troops, 6 Init Cards

There's plenty of halberdiers to support the Warriors and leaders. And, with the totem, if you actually can manage to surround a model, you should be spanking it pretty hard. (Of course, if it is Darkspawn, they may like that. :lol:)

I haven't worked up a "traditional" army yet. I was actually given something to do at work. Evil monkeys!! :lol:

Wild Bill :blues:

Last night I used this 750 list: I call it the Estrogen Brick! It fights hard!

Freya Fangbreaker

Margara Firetongue, +2DV, +2CP/+1MAV, Ice(2), Ice(4), Lightning Storm (the two damage aoe one)

6x Shieldmaidens

Unfortunately, not enough points for a musician upgrade. But having Margara not die super easily is a bonus, and having her flay the opposition with spells is a bonus. The Maidens and Freya fight hard enough when they get there, no need to hurry them up :D

What no Bears WB ? I've really come to like these guys , not that I didn't before . Can't wait to see the Ursla sculp . I've also been having some great effect with the Stone Spirit and I'm using DHL 2250 Earth Elemental as a proxy for it .

One of the changes I really like is the increase in soldier types. With the addition of the Miner and Berserker, and now being able to field Bear Riders as adepts, we've got loads and loads of options! I felt like dwarf troops were getting a bit "cookie cutter" since we had limited options and the roles of the types we had were fairly defined.

But now, if you want, you can field a troop of Logan, Durgam, a Bear, a Berserker, a Halberdier, a Piercer and a Swiftaxe, and have a fast, hard hitting, psycho brute squad of 7 models without any repeats! It almost feels like we're a fully expanded faction!

Hey I think that troop might have some potential... Berserker/Fearless means any target is a possibility for the majority of the troop. Shock means the Bear can take out weak targets with relative impunity. First Strike allows you to neutralize half of a big model's tracks before it even gets to do anything in return. The Piercer gives you a chance to do a little damage ahead of time... or to finish off a wounded enemy that just needs to be finished off so the Berserkers are free to move on next turn. Pretty crazy!

What no Bears WB ? I've really come to like these guys , not that I didn't before . Can't wait to see the Ursla sculp . I've also been having some great effect with the Stone Spirit and I'm using DHL 2250 Earth Elemental as a proxy for it .

Actually, I was trying to take the maximum number of models. Taking bears means I only get like half that number of models. <_<

You little Dwarven Freaks seem to have become awefully magic resistant, Curse you for returning to your D&D bonus vs. Magic Save roots!!!

Anyone else detest the idea of Little Dwarven Miners with Pick Axes being able to burrow at a movement rate of 4? These better be some spectacular models with Jack-Hammers to convince me, and if they end up being GW style Dwarf miners i'll try my best to erase their existence from my memory!

Anyone else detest the idea of Little Dwarven Miners with Pick Axes being able to burrow at a movement rate of 4? These better be some spectacular models with Jack-Hammers to convince me, and if they end up being GW style Dwarf miners i'll try my best to erase their existence from my memory!

Naaah, they found a couple mining machines next to the rotary gauss cannon they discovered recently. But hey, if you think 4" is bad, wait until you face the burrowing spawn with their 10" burrow speed!

Castlebuilder

You little Dwarven Freaks seem to have become awefully magic resistant, Curse you for returning to your D&D bonus vs. Magic Save roots!!!

Most units that have Burrow in the game actually move faster while underground, than while on top. The miners are the slowest burrowers in the game!

Oh, and you can just take your anti-Dwarven attitude somewhere else buddy! Or else my Dwarven Miner Ninja :ph34r: will tunnel right up into your living room and steal your remote control! :lol:

Naaah, they found a couple mining machines next to the rotary gauss cannon they discovered recently. But hey, if you think 4" is bad, wait until you face the burrowing spawn with their 10" burrow speed!

Castlebuilder

oh don't hate Tim

Here's something that's been going on inside my head. A comparison/contrast between Swiftaxes, Halberdiers, and Warriors. They're all essentially the same cost and have different roles (sortof). But why take one over the others?

Pros for each:

--Halberdier - Have Reach, also good to attack en-masse with First Strike. They also have Trencher so they're super versatile. +1 Move above the standard dwarf.

---Swiftaxe - High MAV, +1 Move above the standard dwarf.

---Warrior - excellent DV, Deflect

Cons for Each:

---Halberdier - not the best DV in the world

---Swiftaxe - Really not the best DV in the world, very few SA's to add usefulness

---Warrior - Slower than the others, lower MAV (by a significant 2 compared to the Swiftaxe)

I think the Warriors will be my mainstay model as far as grunt infantry goes. It's the high DV that does it. With the defense to survive attacks, they'll be around longer to hold back the enemy and continue to lay out a solid beating.

I will definately be using Halberdiers in conjunction with my warriors. I did this before, but I'll do it even more now since the Halberdiers lost all of the "downsides" they had before and gained quite a bit on top of it. I'll also use Halberdiers all by themselves when I want a brute squad to run around and first strike heroes into the ground. If you get 4 of them together, that's 4 MAV 8 first strikes, plus 4 regular MAV 8 attacks. They ought not to take much damage in defensive strikes against most targets.

Swiftaxes... if there's one that I'm lukewarm about, it's these guys. I've used them, and they kick serious butt. They're good to sprinkle into troops to give it the extra MAV push a troop needs here and there to bring down a strong opponent, but they'll also be targetted early, so it's a trade off. Swiftaxes are excellent if you can have them face off against enemy grunts, since their many tracks counts as a boost to their defense, and their high MAV can just shred enemy grunts without much trouble. Not too many grunts in the game with 4 damage tracks!

Most units that have Burrow in the game actually move faster while underground, than while on top. The miners are the slowest burrowers in the game!

Oh, and you can just take your anti-Dwarven attitude somewhere else buddy! Or else my Dwarven Miner Ninja :ph34r: will tunnel right up into your living room and steal your remote control! :lol:

I've got no problem at all with the Dwarven Miner statistic block, just with the fact that the notion of Dwarven miners burrowing with pick axes under the battlefield ::(: I'd much rather have seen a concept where they melded and moved through the stone by magical means, or where the models themselves were mini earth elementals or such.

I will definately be using Halberdiers in conjunction with my warriors.

If you check out the 2,000 point list I made, the point of the Halberdiers was to help the warriors use their Trencher ability. With DV 12, they can go toe-to-toe with most grunts. The problem comes with their MAV 4. Against something like a Crimson Knight, the DVs are equal, but they have MAV 5. I need my Halberdiers to help out!

I'd much rather have seen a concept where they melded and moved through the stone by magical means, or where the models themselves were mini earth elementals or such.

Whose to say that they don't use magic to mine? Did you see The Fellowship of the Ring? Remember how big those halls were in the Mines of Moria. You don't think a handful of dwarves did all of that with pickaxes do you? :lol:

Swiftaxes... if there's one that I'm lukewarm about, it's these guys. I've used them, and they kick serious butt. They're good to sprinkle into troops to give it the extra MAV push a troop needs here and there to bring down a strong opponent, but they'll also be targetted early, so it's a trade off. Swiftaxes are excellent if you can have them face off against enemy grunts, since their many tracks counts as a boost to their defense, and their high MAV can just shred enemy grunts without much trouble. Not too many grunts in the game with 4 damage tracks!

In playtesting I used Vale Swordsmen to great effect, by pairing them up with something the enemy really wanted dead, in this case Vale Archers.

Perhaps the Swiftaxes can be used the same way. A few of them stand near the Piercers and Kara. When the enemy heads over there, they are trying to kill the Piercers, so they don't target the Swifties.

PS

Along the Lines of what Storminator is saying, why not pair them up in the same troop as more potent troops that the enemy will be forced to focus on or afraid to let run wild. I'm thinking of Sheild Maidens, and Bear Riders in an offensive case, every attack they lay down on the heavy hitters is one less on your Swift Axes, and every attack that gets put on your Swift Axes helps increase the length of your HEavy Hitters. Granted using the Swift Axes as sacrificial lambs at 40 points each is a bit risky.

Anyones else pondering the fact that the Bears can charge 15 inches and attack if their troop is carrying a standard (Bear Rider Standard Bearer).