• This topic is locked This topic is locked
114 replies to this topic

#31 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:28 PM

It's strong already, usied with certain combinations it's still extremely powerful.
There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

#32 Gus Landt

Gus Landt

Godlike

• Members
  • 5087 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:52 PM

Pain Cage is still the most powerful FA. You just have to have a proper army build for it. :B):
“There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way” - C.S. Lewis "I'm not sure God wants us to be happy. I think he wants us to love, and be loved. But we are like children, thinking our toys will make us happy and the whole world is our nursery. Something must drive us out of that nursery and into the lives of others, and that something is suffering." - C.S. Lewis

#33 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14694 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:18 PM

Pain cage does not need to be stronger in the slightest. It's more than strong enough as it is. Killing grunts gives you 3-5 tokens now, and you still only need to 10 points per token. I'm glad there was the minimum of 3 tokens added, so the blasted Broken Fodder cost a little more to keep in the fight, but for every Grunt you kill, that typically means another 20- gets to stick around longer. When we first started playing with the new Data Cards, I was hoping to see that the cost in tokens go from 1 token = 10 points to 1 token = 5 points.

It very frustrating as a Darkspawn opponent, trust me. You have to waste all your attacks to kill the same stupid Model on it's last track again and again. Now granted, lacking Clerics, or Mages capable of healing, it's a somewhat fair trade.

And actually, you have 6 Models now that can be fielded that cost 39 points or less unequipped - Broken Fodder, Isiri Warriors, Vysa, Imps, Lesser Devils, and Paintenders. These all cost the minimum 3 tokens to keep going on the last track, which means, kill a single soldier. Don't die. [ADDED] Forgot that Pain Cage now rounds up instead of rounding down. Still not a big deal. 3-4 tokens for each of these is still a single soldier most of the time. [/ADDED]

Of those Models, Fodder, Warriors and Paintenders are all pretty unpleasant to deal with on the last track. Fodder have 1 attack, but at MAV 5, Warriors, have DV 8, best of the lot, and 2 attacks at MAV 3, Paintenders have DV 6 (one better than Fodder), and 2 attacks at MAV 4, plus First Strike.

Demon Warrior and Ice Demon are also nice pick ups at exactly 50 points, so thats only 5 tokens.

Remember, you;re looking at effective combat on the last track when you consider Pain Tokens, not how good the Model is unwounded.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#34 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:48 PM

remember its 1 per 10 tokens rounded up... so 39 point models would need 4 tokens, not 3.

#35 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14694 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:59 PM

remember its 1 per 10 tokens rounded up... so 39 point models would need 4 tokens, not 3.

Yeah I had corrected that about 2 minutes after I typed the original post (see added section)

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#36 cristomeyers

cristomeyers

God of Dire Care Bears

• Bones Supporter
  • 1712 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:34 AM

More demony goodness (evilness) on reapergames: Lesser Devils.

Not bad, kinda weak on the DV side. They basically look like Reptus Javeliners with Ranked.
Life's too short to not laugh at its absurdities...

#37 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:42 AM

the ranked makes a huge difference. able to tuck them behind someone else for protection while they fire away.

#38 Gus Landt

Gus Landt

Godlike

• Members
  • 5087 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:53 AM

The Lesser Devils were my babies. I left them hidden for an extra week to playtest more. That ranked just makes them pure awesome, and when you do make B2B, their Reach continues their awesomeness! :devil:

As for their MAV and DV, well, if your opponent is attacking these guys, you've got bigger problems to worry about. Like the fact you're losing the game. :lol: ::D: ::o: ::(:
“There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way” - C.S. Lewis "I'm not sure God wants us to be happy. I think he wants us to love, and be loved. But we are like children, thinking our toys will make us happy and the whole world is our nursery. Something must drive us out of that nursery and into the lives of others, and that something is suffering." - C.S. Lewis

#39 Mengu

Mengu

Godlike

• Black Lightning
  • 1956 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:02 AM

Ok, I'm not one to ask fluff questions, but I'm really curious. What are the Lesser Devils shooting? Magic Bolts? Fire Orbs (ala Doom Imps)? Spittle?
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out. What am I doing right?" -Charles M. Schulz

#40 lord siwoc

lord siwoc

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:41 PM

My soul has been sold off. With just one game of warlord.

Now my eye is set on Darkspawn.

I see a lot of different armies, and it will probably take me a while to tailor make mine.

But what advice wuld you give a new spawn as I?

Which models and tactics should I start of with?

Just ordered the box of darkspawn, and do not know what I will get :rolleyes:

#41 cristomeyers

cristomeyers

God of Dire Care Bears

• Bones Supporter
  • 1712 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:44 PM

"Everything" comes to mind...

You'll need archers, at least a few. Lots of Broken Fodder is almost a must have (Pain Cage + Broken Fodder = evilgasm). You'll have enough Warriors thanks to the boxed set to last awhile. A couple Paintenders for support is a good idea, but not mandatory. I'd get a Painmage (spread the magical love) and the Darkspawn have killer solos.

#42 lord siwoc

lord siwoc

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:00 PM

So many cool solos indeed.

Is there any paint scheme or just do it like you want? (which I will probably anyway)

As said I am VERY new at this, though have been playing other games for close to 20 years now.

The pain cage...I know that it gives me the help to heal my people. Is it listed in the rules or where do I find out more about this?

I AM a bit impatient....geeeesh I sound like a 11 year old....what does this do? how do I do what you do? Does this hurt? :devil:

#43 cristomeyers

cristomeyers

God of Dire Care Bears

• Bones Supporter
  • 1712 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:25 PM

Paint scheme? What is this paint scheme you speak of? You're in the land of red orcs and elves that wear blue my friend!

Pain Cage basically means your troops won't die like they're supposed to. Register at www.reapergames.com (it's free, no spam), go to "Featured Downloads" and get the Army Faction Special Abilities pdf. It outlines what Pain Cage does. You can also get the most up-to-date stats for your models and the Rage Chronicles yearly rules update.

#44 shakhak

shakhak

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3076 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:26 PM

First sign up to ReaperGames if you haven't already.
http://warlordhq.reapergames.com/

Go to the Featured Downloads.
There is a PDF with some open beta FAs. The Pain Cage(our FA) is listed there.
There is also a section for Data Cards, pick darkspawn and take a look at all the models. You can also look over the Spells, Equipment, and Special Abilities here.

Here's the painted gallery for Darkspawn:
http://www.reapermin...llery/darkspawn
On Reaper Games you can view fan submited painted minis here:
http://warlordhq.rea.....0Mini Gallery

Welcome to Darkspawn, you have picked one of the best and most diverse factions in the game.

Oh and you'll want to get excited about the coming release of this guy:
http://www.reapermin...?...=26845&st=0

Alot of us are in playing mode. Alot of new things have creeped up so we don't have too many valid strategies/combos yet. In the coming weeks I suspect you'll see some nasty ideas start flooding this topic though. So be patient and tips on what to buy will come eventually.

A cool RTS from one of the designers of Warlord 2.0 Cairn

CustomKorborlas64.jpgReptus.gifDarkspawn.gif

#45 lord siwoc

lord siwoc

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:47 PM

He is sooo bad@ss

This is cool. A good welcome indeed.

I will do my best to keep Darkspawn spawning! Er...or something. :rolleyes: