• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#1 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 8642 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:06 AM

Discuss factions, builds, and how to crush your foes mightily in this thread!

bryan@reapermini.com This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

#2 shakhak

shakhak

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3076 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:03 AM

Razig is back and ready to plunder.

The zombies are very practical for mobbing in the new rules and fielding Razig decked out with 16 models is... awesome.

Everything in my army had a ranged attack, except for the zombies and it was flat out devestating. Crewmen usually had point blank, and given the option of their ranged attack there is no reason not to shoot for the 2 points of damage. Just stand back and let the enemy come to you, and when they get close it's fire time.

The Marines are the heart that beats undeath into our new Crew. Blasting the crap out of anything that comes within 24" of them... It's beautiful.

The cannon is not so much a cannon anymore... but a Cannon fueled by the souls of many... as it should be. With a little bit better move it can get to where it needs to be, settle in, and fire away for the rest of the game.

Oh and Dark Maiden + Razig's Summon + Chain Lightning is a deadly combo. Summon her in, close enough to bounce the chain lightning through an unsuspecting troop and then send in the rest of the troop.

A cool RTS from one of the designers of Warlord 2.0 Cairn

CustomKorborlas64.jpgReptus.gifDarkspawn.gif

#3 Prophet

Prophet

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:33 PM

Just a quick qeustion. Explain the "Crewmen usually had point blank, and given the option of their ranged attack there is no reason not to shoot for the 2 points of damage" Part for me. I think I am understanding but I cant seem to find anything about a point blank shot anywhere.
Thanks,
Prophet
Check out my blog '7+ Ward Save'
http://7upwardsave.blogspot.com/

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

My current auctions

PM me about my Warlord minis for sale.

#4 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:35 PM

Point Blank = +1 to hit when you are within 6 inches of your target, it isn't a special ability, it is a ranged combat modifier.
There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

#5 Prophet

Prophet

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:53 PM

I must say that I was on the road out of Warlord, until last night I finally used my Raizig Army. I have had them since I first was introduced to WL but never used them. I must say that Raizig has saved my interest in Warlord.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

My current auctions

#6 Sergei

Sergei

Godlike

• Black Lightning
  • 1007 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:33 PM

It's a good faction now. It was the army I had started with but they were headed to cold storage after a disasterous tourniment.

But thanks to slow fire I think they're back in the game with a vengence.

I let my dice speak for me

Remember to keep safety first.....or at least in the top five

Pray to god, but row for shore.-Russian proverb

#7 Castlebuilder

Castlebuilder

The Dungeon Builder

• Bones Supporter
  • 2018 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:40 PM

It's a good faction now. It was the army I had started with but they were headed to cold storage after a disasterous tourniment.

But thanks to slow fire I think they're back in the game with a vengence.

Gave up on the Goblins already? Or are they just on hold since I stole your warlord? I have yet to play my Razig army, but I agree with you. The Marines are nasty, and with the crew now having guns the fun & games just won't stop!

Castlebuilder
"I forgot about the gods and spun my own bright fate, while at the root of life the three spinners laughed." Bernard Cornwell, Lords of the North

#8 Prophet

Prophet

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:47 PM

The chain gang is pretty formidable now as well, especially with Disable.

My current auctions

#9 Sergei

Sergei

Godlike

• Black Lightning
  • 1007 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:15 PM

Gave up on the Goblins already? Or are they just on hold since I stole your warlord?

I figured out that the problem must have been the fact that I was using your mini's. So i'm painting my own up. ::P: god knows that my own have never let me down.............

moving on. I never like the chain gang in 1.2. I was thinking of maybe trying them out later. Unfortunatly there on the bottom of a very long list.

I am going to try and face Mengu this Saturday with a 1000 point list. Any suggestions?

I let my dice speak for me

Remember to keep safety first.....or at least in the top five

Pray to god, but row for shore.-Russian proverb

#10 jdripley

jdripley

Compulsive Forum-goer

• Members
  • 1184 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:27 PM

Here's a thought I just had. I'm sure it could be countered, but it ought to put your opponent in a sticky position. Especially if they don't have any fast cavalry or whatever.

Instead of a typical "firing line" type formation, do something more like an elf would do - with speed bumps. Perhaps the zombies would be an excellent choice for this task since they're fairly resilient.

Anyways, you put them out in front of your ranged units and draw a charge. Spread your screen out to, say, 2 inches apart (so you don't block your own LOS) between models, and place your screen far enough in front that the enemy can charge the screen but would have to double move to get into b2b with your crew.

This way, when the enemy charges your screen, they'll probably kill it, but you'll get lucky hits on defensive strikes, and if your screen survives all the better - and the major point is, when your troop activates next you get to make your Slow Fire attacks. You ought to do some good damage on that first volley, enough to justify losing 3ish zombies. Then the enemy line will hit your crew, and you'll have to do melee until you get some free models when they can start peeling the enemy off of the rest of the crew.

I just love how Razig models are Undead so they don't get shaken from being in b2b with ranged targets. If I do a 3rd army it'll be Razig. I didn't make them my 2nd because Nefsokar is so cool and also because I thought the faction was cheezy (this was prior to 1.2). Now with the changes I think they're more fair so I wouldn't mind using them :D
Jim Ripley

#11 wildbill

wildbill

Tulsa Warlord Gawd

• T-Town Crew
  • 3173 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:26 AM

Gave up on the Goblins already? Or are they just on hold since I stole your warlord?

I figured out that the problem must have been the fact that I was using your mini's. So i'm painting my own up. ::P: god knows that my own have never let me down.............

moving on. I never like the chain gang in 1.2. I was thinking of maybe trying them out later. Unfortunatly there on the bottom of a very long list.

I am going to try and face Mengu this Saturday with a 1000 point list. Any suggestions?

Here's an army I created to play at ReaperCon for Razig.

Captain Razig + MA
5 Bone Marines
Soul Cannon

Black Knife Tom
4 Harpooners
Musician
Standard Bearer

Grim Pete
4 Zombie Recruits
Musician
Standard Bearer

Totals: 1,000 Points, 17 Models, 3 Troops, 3 Initiative Cards

Notice that Razig's unit has no musician. That's because I don't expect to move them...ever! Well, except maybe to strategically withdrawal. :devil: The other units were given a standard bearer before the final rules came out declaring that Undead never suffer from shaken tokens. It might not be a bad idea to give Razig GMA and MW. You're out the same amount of points, but now he's that much tougher. I used the Harpooners because of Reach. The Zombies charge in, and the Harpooners back them up. Yeah, the Zombies aren't all the great on DV, but with Tough/4, let them take the brunt of the attacks. ^_^

Wild Bill :blues:

"Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building."

My Indian name is "Runs With Beer".

#12 jdripley

jdripley

Compulsive Forum-goer

• Members
  • 1184 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:00 PM

Ok... so some thoughts on what I might do if I buy into Razig (do I really need a 3rd faction????)

Razig Boxed set -
Razig, Baron, Soul Cannon, Dark Maiden, and 8 crewmen. Comes out to 878 points if you use the cannon as an elite. If you give Razig +1DV and the Maiden Lightning Blast, Chain Lightning, and Stun, you're within a couple points of 1,000 and you're light on the model count by a potentially serious amount. $39.99 expense.

Custom Purchase -
Razig, Soul Cannon, 3x Bonemarines, 7x Crew, Grim Pete. Add +1DV to Razig and you've got a 750 list with the same numbers - not so light on the model count. I already have Grim Pete so that would come to 47.38

Now, I'm undecided on buying Razig to begin with. But if I were to buy into it, either one of those options would be how I'd go. Thoughts? The Boxed set includes Baron LeBone and the Dark Maiden, both of whom are seriously awesome models, and it'd be a shame not to have them. But I already have Pete, and it'd be a shame not to use the model I already have. 12 models seems very small for a not-adept force at 1,000 points, but it's cheaper than the custom 750 list......
Jim Ripley

#13 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

dont think of it as the end list, think of it as the beginning list as you add to it.

#14 wildbill

wildbill

Tulsa Warlord Gawd

• T-Town Crew
  • 3173 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:20 AM

The first thing I bought when I got into Razig was the boxed set. Then I springboarded into buying 12 Bone Marines. 12 Harpooners. 4 more Crewmen for a total of...12. And, last but not least: 12 Zombies! :devil: :lol:

I also bought 2 more Soul Cannons. This was back in the day when they were only 49 points each, but I wasn't all that into them unlike some people we know **cough Ranzadule cough**. :lol: ::P:

Wild Bill :blues:

"Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building."

My Indian name is "Runs With Beer".

#15 Ranzadule

Ranzadule

Modlike

• Members
  • 2986 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:54 PM

@Wildbill,

Here's to hopin' you make it two years in a row for Razig!
KOMITATUS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users