Sign in to follow this  
spiritual_exorcist

Bind Souls

Alright, so I'm a bit dissapointed bond sould are missing from the released equipment list.

I assume that their function was considered incompatable with the new direction of Warlord, and disallowing them kept a more finite cap on the number of spells a mage could field, which is fair enough.

So if they were to return they'd need a different function, anyone have thoughts?

One is as a relatively expensive device (compared to their previous 2 points), around the 15 point mark that allowed the caster to cast a spell as a free action, with the limitation that a caster could still only cast a single spell per activation, however that would free up the caster to be able to undertake combat actions or Invoke actions in that same turn. (this would be a one shot item, that could be bought multiple times, just like the old bond souls).

Another thought is that they could each simply provide a one off +1CP boost to a single casting of a single spell, for around maybe 5 points each, with maybe a maxium of 2-3 being able to be broken by a caster each turn. I think this has some really interesting possibilties, but I think it easily remains balanced.

Another possibility is that they could be broken, a maxium 1/turn, as an Invoke action, to heal 1-2 points of damage to the caster, for 20-40 points depending on the damage they healed.

Just some random thoughts, I'd love to hear more ideas.

Canopic Jar isn't Unique.

It does do some of the things that a Bond Soul might, but with alot greater limitations (max spell level 2) and it has always cost substantially more than a Bond Soul.

I suppose Bond Souls could retain their original function, but with a greater limitation, perhaps a max of 2 for level 1 mages, 4 for level 2 mages and 6 for level 3 mages, and at a heftier cost of 5 points each, which would put it alot more in line with the Caponic Jar. Removal of any benefit to the creation of Spectral minions would help balance them as well.

It does do some of the things that a Bond Soul might, but with alot greater limitations (max spell level 2) and it has always cost substantially more than a Bond Soul.

I suppose Bond Souls could retain their original function, but with a greater limitation, perhaps a max of 2 for level 1 mages, 4 for level 2 mages and 6 for level 3 mages, and at a heftier cost of 5 points each, which would put it alot more in line with the Caponic Jar. Removal of any benefit to the creation of Spectral minions would help balance them as well.

You had better look again.......

IT IS UNIQUE :blink:

You had better look again.......

IT IS UNIQUE :blink:

That is true. Canopic Jar is unique. I hadn't noticed the "Unique" thing before. Crap. Now I'm going to have to look at all of the magic items more closely...

Oh, and I DO NOT want to see Bind Souls come back into the game. I thought that was the cheeziest thing since Warhammer to hit the table. "Oh look. I have 4 Railors with 4 Bindsouls each, Moandain with 8, and Aysa with 8. La la la la." :grr:

Wild Bill :blues:

Meh. It's not that Bindsouls themselves were cheesy, it's that they were ridiculously underpriced. Canopic Jar is 10 points, price them equivalently and they'll be workable.

I agree, 5 points per bind soul puts them on par with the Canopic Jar, I could care less about the ability of Bind SOuls the increase summoning Spectral minions, and obviously that is what they were previously most used for, I want to see bind souls back to enhance casting. Either by allowing you to carry more spells, or in some other function. THe fluff and notion of them is cool, I've always disliked the Summoning of SPectral minions, I think it's a gimmicky spell more fit for a GW game.

Assuming Bind Souls won't keep their original function, any thoughts on other ways they could be brought back into the game?

(God, I looked and double checked the Canpoic Jar and still didn't see it as unique...sometimes we only see what we want to. No worries from my perspective, I would likely only put one in any list anyway).

I could see BindSouls as cheap, one-shot CP boosters.

BindSoul: 3 points. Non-Unique. You may use one (as a move action) to add one to the CP of the model carrying it. Only one (or maybe two) may be used per casting attempt. The boost lasts until the end of its current activation.

As far as I know, the Bindsouls are a Necropolis specific faction ability from the faction book and are still in effect since they said they weren't changing faction abilities right now. Until I see an official response stating otherwise, I'm going to use them as stated per faction abilities. If they weren't still in effect, it would also negate the faction ability for being able to break them as well for a +1 to the next undying host spell.

As far as I know, the Bindsouls are a Necropolis specific faction ability from the faction book and are still in effect since they said they weren't changing faction abilities right now. Until I see an official response stating otherwise, I'm going to use them as stated per faction abilities. If they weren't still in effect, it would also negate the faction ability for being able to break them as well for a +1 to the next undying host spell.

Bindsouls weren't a faction ABILITY, they were a faction specific EQUIPMENT.

therefore, they are no longer tournament legal.

Bindsouls weren't a faction ABILITY, they were a faction specific EQUIPMENT.

therefore, they are no longer tournament legal.

That really stinks, its still faction specific, which had at one time been said the faction books were being left alone for now. That was a good benefit that really needs to be added back.

Alright, so I'm a bit dissapointed bond sould are missing from the released equipment list.

I'm not, try to beat an army that has create 35 Spectre Mins by the end of the game.

Yes and it happens everything I play that person.

Bindsouls are a the king of cheese.