Mengu

Warlord tournament discussion

I'm a bit curious. The point level is announced as 1000, and I noted that a game of this size has around a 10-15 models, and takes about 45 minutes, maybe an hour. Why is the time limit 90 minutes? Am I missing something?

There will be scenarios for each round, so that could take time as people jockey for the objective points. And, I have played several games now at the 1,000 points. I don't like the small points for our armies, but I understand them wanting to move things along. Most games I have played we have played to the 90 minute mark and there are still models on the table for both sides. Trust me, I play fast and so do my players here. Granted, we might have been in like turn 8 or something, but still...

Besides, if 90 minutes includes set up time as well, we'll need all 90 minutes...

Wild Bill :blues:

Will we know what the scenarios are before making our army lists? 1000 points is already pretty limiting, it's almost impossible to make versatile lists. Thankfully we are allowed two lists.

One thing to remember is that not everyone has been involved with the new Data Cards, and for a lot of people the Final Copy and/or Open Beta was the first time they have seen the new cards/spells/etc.

I imagine there is going to be a lot more looking up of information during this tournament than there has been in past tournies, since people are not only less familiar with their own army, but also their opponents.

That's true, but even the first few 2000 point games we played with Sergei were moving pretty quickly despite both of us constantly flipping through documents. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the 90 minute limit, it means most games will come to a definite end, however slow or fast the players may be, and that's a great thing.

I still would like to know what the scenarios will be...

Will we know what the scenarios are before making our army lists? 1000 points is already pretty limiting, it's almost impossible to make versatile lists. Thankfully we are allowed two lists.

It's my impression that we will know the scenario before we choose which list we are going to use. After we choose the list, we find out who our opponent will be. Then again, that's only a guess....... :rolleyes:

Castlebuilder

I can only answer based on past experience, so, this may or may not be true..

The first round is obviously random in terms of table assignement. But, then for every further round, people move around the room in an orderly fashion, so if I was on side 1 of table 1, my next game would be most likely on side 1 of table 2. Each side moves in opposite directions. So the person who is on side 2 of table 3 on the first game would end up being on side two of table 2 in the second game playing against me.

Again, they might change things up completely for RCon, but that is how we've done the past few tourneys in our area.

Also, I can say (again based on recent tourneys) all scenario games have been capped at 5 turns. So, collect as many objective points and/or kill points within 5 turns type of thing.

As for 1000 points, I too initially thought it a little small, but I can understand it considering everyone is going on 1 month to build their lists and get comfortable with them. And thinking outside the box, I actually like the idea of playing a little faster game. Mainly cause there are so many things going on at RCon, that I have yet to take advantage of because I was always either in a class or in a tourney. If I can play in the tourney and still have time to play a few rounds of of the crawls, and do a speed paint contest, and pick some teachers brains sitting in the paint room... I am gonna be a happy camper..

Thanks for the info.

Also, I can say (again based on recent tourneys) all scenario games have been capped at 5 turns. So, collect as many objective points and/or kill points within 5 turns type of thing.

Can you expand on how the objective points work?

Do you have to get to a point before your opponent to claim the objective points?

Do you score the point the moment you are on it? Or do you score at the end of the round?

Can you score the point multiple times?

How many such points are typically on the table?

Are they typically around the center of the table? Or are they scattered around so you have to split your forces?

How many points is each objective? Just need a ballpark like 10-20 or 50-100?

I am waiting on Ed's final stamp on the scenarios & such and then all questions will be entertained.

Okie, I'll try to be patient (and probably fail). I'm hoping we see these Very Soon.

How tight are you with the 1000 point limit ? :unsure:

Based on past experience... You couldn't pound a greased needle in past 1,000 points.

How tight are you with the 1000 point limit ? :unsure:

You pretty much have to sacrifice two or more of:

* Mage Spells

* Cleric Spells/Healing

* Powerful Equipment

* Powerful Elites/Solos

* High number of models

So, superfragilistically tight.