cutebutpsycho

Seriously considering a tattoo

So, I have a thought of getting a tattoo. I know what it would be, I know who I want to design it (at least narrowed down to two), I know where I want it-but I want to know how long it's tender and what areas of the body hurt most to tattoo. Any advice would be appreciated.....

I don't have any, so I can't help. However, if you're not getting it soon, you can talk to my wife at RCon - she has three - 2 on her ankles and one on the back of her neck.

Just look for the brunette with her hair in a braid, and the dragonfly on her neck.

My husband has a pair of wings on his back, a pegasus on his chest, a heart on one arm, and a vampire lady on the other.

His comments to me about this subject a couple of years ago was something like this:

Ankles and places where there is very little muscle/fat coverage: very painful. Basically, they're inking directly over the bone and it's quite painful. Least painful place would be high-flesh areas, buttocks, breasts, belly, thighs, upper arms.

Tenderness. That's all dependent upon how well you take care of it. Keeping it moist while preventing infection and following the directions and whatnot for taking care of it. He says 2-3 days of more intensive lotion (A&D Cream is what he used, I use it for Thomas's diaper rash), and about 2-3 weeks of any lotion with Vitamin E until it's fully healed.

Apparently, it also helps to get somewhat drunk for it, as he had many beers over the 4 hours for the wings on his back. A lot will depend on the tattoo artist. Make certain you find one who is reputable and who keeps a super-clean store.

SD, fwiw, got his mostly in trade for webdesign. Some can be quite expensive.

Interesting topic. I've considered in the past getting a tattoo, but I know these things are permanent and with the way my mood changes about things, I could never think of anything permanent enough to actually want to put onto my skin.

Yep , got mine when I was drunk and in the army . Initially , I regretted getting them done but they grew on me to the stage now that I forget I ever had them done , not that they are visable very often . :blush: One , I must have been sooo drunk because I can't remember having it done . :wacko:

P.S. Congrats on the halo/ring . ::D:

My therory about tats is to get something that is meaningful and you will be fine, something to comemorate someone or something.

I do have a few suggestions. Avoid getting anything on the breast unless you plan to be perky all your life (they do tend to sag, or so I hear) and the last think you want is your Unicorn in your 20s to be a Water Buffaloe when you are 50.

Next, please for the love of god, and all that is holy avoid getting a tatoo on the small of your back. It is so overdone, and as a guy I can think of only one thing to do with a tatoo like that and to verbalize it on the forums would get me banned and slapped.

With no tattoos but plenty of soft-tissue injuries I would say, the meatier the spot the less the pain. Pretty much if I were going to voluntarily and deliberately puncture part of myself I'd go with buttocks or back; you don't have that many nerves in your back- but the middle of your back would be hard to care for. I would never voluntarily injure my ankles, but after some degree of work-related inurement I'd say knuckles were fair game. Forearms fair game. Shoulder fair game, upper arm less so. Sides not good, front rib-rack not good. Belly yeah, maybe, but not by preference.

Two tats here-

I would not recommend getting drunk. Most reputable Tattoo artists I know will not work on a drunk. They say alcohol thins the blood making you bleed more, and you are prone to unpredictable movements while drunk, making it very easy for them to mess up.

Do some research on the artist you want to use. Look at his work, most have an album of work lying around.

Do not get a tattoo of something on their wall, unless you really want something that has been on the body of half a dozen other people.

Follow the instructions of the artist fully after getting a tattoo or you will damage it.

It will hurt, and it will happen to get hit almost all the time while it's healing.

If you plan on being taken serious in the business world, put them were they will not be seen.

Well, for reassurance-I've never been drunk even once, so that's not something I'd do. I want a unique piece of art, I want it where no one can see it unless I intentionally show it-but it's between two places and I was looking for more information about which might be better. Sounds like I can have something on a soft fleshy part that might wrinkle but hurt less when I'm doing it or a bony part that will stay true to the design, but will hurt like the dickens. And no, my back is not an option. I want it for myself, it's hard for me to see my back without assistance. This would be for me, not the rest of the world.

Also, I cannot stress enough the importance of a super-clean shop and taking care of it afterwards. A non-sterile shop means infection, and not taking care of it afterwards means the tattoo will fade, and fairly quickly.

Have you been warned that tats are addictive, once you get one you'll want more. For me the worst part of getting a tat is about 2 or three days later when it's healing real good and starts to itch, but you cant scratch it.

Good idea, Erin. You never know when Matt might turn into Beavis.

As for where to go, there's a place in Louisville KY called Tattoo Charlie's. It advertises "Tattoos while you wait". :lol:

I personally do not have any tattoos but most of my friends have several. One friend who has many tattoos says getting tattooed on the underside of your upper arm is one of the most painful experiences he has ever had.

I would also stress making sure it is a clean, certified shop. I worked for the health department with the woman who inspected tattoo shops and she told me many interesting stories. It wouldn't hurt to give your city health department a call and find out what shops they would advise against. I think its ok for them to inform you of which ones have violations, but its not professional of them to tell you "the best" shop.