Gus Landt

Sleep Number beds - anyone got one?

So the wife & I are thinking about getting one of them sleep number adjustable beds. I was wondering if anyone here had one, and could give me some feedback. ::):

We have one, and love it. We bought ours shortly after a trip to her mom's where we slept on their old sleep number bed. 3 nights and we were sold. I _hate_ going out of town and sleeping in motels now.

There are a couple of things about them though that you should be aware of:

1. I don't think they make them anymore, but make sure the controller isn't one of those that doesn't show the number. If you don't have the number, anytime you adjust the bed, you'll be playing for days to get it set right. The number on the display takes that frustration away.

2. My next sleep number bed will probably be one with a pillow top, because the pillow top seems to "even" out lower sleep numbers while still retaining the comfort.

3. If your sleep number is really low like mine is, the bed isn't suited for, um, adult activities, without adjusting it to a higher number. That's the one thing that I've found most people with Sleep Number beds won't tell you.

4. If you plan on moving anytime soon, moving a sleep number bed is WAY easier than a conventional mattress and box springs set, if not quite as convenient.

5. On our bed, electric blankets don't seem to be quite as effective at prewarming the bed as they are on a standard mattress. I have no idea why, but this probably isn't an issue for you in TX anyway.

We've been thinking about it too- if I had my way we'd sleep on a futon mattress on the floor, I like a really hard mattress. But my wife likes a really soft one. Aren't they wicked expensive?

Sleep Number beds are over $1200 in my area. I looked at them and the memory foam/Tempurpedic when shopping for our bed. We ended up with a conventional bed, double-pillowtop, and LOVE it.

We were sleeping on a futon. I was getting tired of it, and the new bed doesn't hurt my back as much as the futon did. I don't wake up EVERY morning in pain, just the mornings when Thomas decides to crawl into bed with us and push me off to the edge of the bed.

Bear in mind I've never tried a Sleep Number bed, but have also been lured by the memory foam ones.

I *do* recommend testing the beds first, finding out warranty information, and then researching prices from various places as well as delivery costs and times.

And when we got our bed, we concentrated on mattress. The headboard and footboard will come later. I'm not going to compromise comfort and a good nights sleep for a nice looking frame like my brother did.

One thing to be aware of with memory foam mattresses: You will generally be HOTTER due to sinking into the foam and being insulated by the foam.

Sleep number beds: I can't think of anyone that hasn't liked theirs. However, due to similar health considerations, we like the same firm-ness, so we went with a well-made, but standard, mattress.

Well I think we'll give one a try. They claim a 30 day free trial (with certain things you do have to pay if you return it, of course).

Looks like there are 5 levels of quality (price).

The one that I'm really looking at is their $5000 Grand King. It is 30% bigger than a normal King size bed! :bday:

Next question: for those that have them, did you get their special 'foundation'? Or do you just use a regular box spring?

I will put my .02$ in here, as I have been a mattress retailer/ manufactuerer for over eight years. The sleep number beds seem to be a love/hate type of bed (usually one person loves it, one hates it). Everyone I talk to about them either love them, or they have returned them within a few days because they couldn't stand them. They support you the same way water beds used too, support by displacement, your weight displaces the air until there is nowhere for it to go so it comes back and pushes against you.

Tempurpedic/memory foam beds- Once again a love/hate thing here I personally love this type of foam. If you look at one of these, don't buy from tempurpedic, they do not have any special foam over any of the other companies that make matts. Just make sure that the foam is at least 5.0 density( if the company your looking at will not tell you the density, do not buy from them), the tempurpedic is 5.3, the matt we make using the foam from the same plant that tempur gets theirs from is 5.5, and we price ours about 1000$ less cause we don't make people pay for infomercials or free samples.

Regular spring matts- If you are looking at regular matts, find a local factory direct if you can, I see you are in Texas, so I will say DO NOT buy from Mattress Giant (I worked for them up here in Illinois, till they sold their stores here), their product is no longer good. Their entire line up that they carry is now a one-sided no flip matt. These products are no good, do not believe anyone who tells you different, they were built to fail in 3-5 years and get you to buy a new one. I have proof of that in my bedroom, my GF and I both worked for Matt Giant and both won Simmons Matts during a meeting, we have a retail value of over 6000 of bedding. They are both failing in just over 4 years, giant body impressions and shifting coils, with no way to flip them to fix them. If you can find a local factory direct that is still making 2 sided matts, buy from them. Also know that all bedding will have to conform to the goverments new fire regulations by July. So do not believe people if they tell you their matts are all natural, as they have chemicals, or will in a few months.

If you have any questions on any product out there, feel free to email me or PM me. I have probably either sold it, or know about it.

They can be expensive, that is for sure. But if you're one of those couples where one needs a soft mattress, while one needs a firm mattress, that cost is offset by the fact neither of you have to make a compromise, which, in my case at least, leads to fewer arguments. That's worth $1200 in my book. Another benefit is that I can't feel my wife move in bed, and vice versa. If both of you need about the same level of of firmness, then you can definitely save some money by buying a top end conventional mattress that suits you. Short of seperate twin beds, the sleep number is the only mattress I've run across that allows us to have the drastic difference in firmness we both need.

When we looked at how expensive the sleep number mattresses were, versus how long they are supposed to last, and the warranty for them, plus all the other benefits, it seemed like a pretty good deal. I admit to being hesitant to spend that much money at the time, but I'm very glad we did. We've owned ours almost 5 years now and it's still as comfortable as the first day - I've never had a conventional mattress much longer than that (of course, I've never spent more than $200 on a conventional mattress).

We even had an issue with the bed that they covered under warranty. We had a problem with the pump unit - it quit, and the mattress went flat. The local store supplied us with a loaner unit while we sent our unit in for repair/replacement. Turns out the reason the unit failed is that the headboard was sitting on the power cord, and eventually cut through it. Technically that was our fault, and I fully expected to pay for it, but they covered it as warranty, no questions asked. We didn't even have to pay frieght either way - they covered everything.

All that said, they aren't for everyone. My cousin and his wife, and my aunt & uncle all tried the Sleep Number 30 day trial after hearing how much we liked ours. They all returned them, and ended up buying the memory foam ones and are happy. And definitely go with Ary's advice about concentrating on the mattress, rather than the bed.

Next question: for those that have them, did you get their special 'foundation'? Or do you just use a regular box spring?

We got their special foundation, but we were moving up to a bigger bed, so we were going to have to buy something anyway. The foundation wasn't much more expensive (IIRC, maybe $50?) than a box spring would have been.

It's a special set of blow molded plastic pieces that assemble together to form a pretty decent foundation. There is a cover that goes over it to make it look like a normal box spring. Assembled it's got to be 25% the weight of a box spring - my wife can lift it up by herself if she wants to. It was a dream to move, too - it all went in a box, and got carried out to the truck by one person.

Be careful about buying any overly large or odd sized mattress - make sure you can easily get sheets for it. My sister and her husband bought a California king years ago, only to discover that at the time they weren't too popular in their area, and they had a devil of time buying sheets from anywhere other than the store they got the mattress from. She was even more frustrated because Target would advertise the California King size in their ads, but the Colorado stores didn't carry that size - only the California stores did. I was living in CA at the time, so every time Target ran a sale ad on a sheet pattern she liked, I would get a call from her asking me to go pick up a set for her.

If they're still offering the 30-day trial, and you're at all interested, I'd say go for it. Just be sure to give it the full thirty days (or as close to that as you can) - it will take you anywhere from 3 to 10 days to get the mattress dialed into your comfort zone. But, like Bile said, they are kind of a love/hate thing.

We looked at them and chose not to get one. One big concern I had was finding a lot of negative reviews on epinions and elsewhere on the Web. A number of people complained about a particular part or two going out. The guarantee (at least at the time we looked) was prorated, so the longer you have the bed the larger share of the repair cost you pay. We also didn't like the feeling in the middle between the two different sides, seemed anti-snuggle. ;->

Prior to my marriage, I had slept on a latex foam bed since I was about 14, and found it very comfortable and helped reduce occurance of upper back and neck problems that I get. The mattress still seems in fine shape over 20 years later, just too small for a couple, and I liked that kind of durability, also. (Though I doubt we'll get that with a modern bed, the topper will go out after a time even if the interior foam holds solid I expect.) We looked at the memory foam, my parents recently bought one and were extolling the virtues, but the heat factor really put me off. Happily latex foam is making a bit of a come-back so we were able to comparison shop a number of those and recently purchased one. Latex foam shares a lot of the properties of memory foam in terms of cushioning joints and whatnot, but doesn't wrap around you as much. It is a kind of mattress where you don't feel movement very much. If you haven't already, it's probably at least worth trying the various kinds of foam beds on the off-chance that the cushioning will provide the support the firm mattress sleeper wants and the softness the soft mattress sleeper wants.

All of that is just IMHO, offered because I know how maddening looking at all the options and trying to make sense of them were when we were bed shopping.

we have had a tempurpedic/memory foam mattress for a couple of years now. i absolutely love it. i had extreme back pains with our regular mattress. i would never sleep through the night. now i sleep soundly through the night. i don't think i have ever felt hotter in it, but i'm generally hot anyway. I have never tried a sleep number bed, but it sounds like people like them.

The in-laws have one. and when we babysat the horses for them a while back we got to sleep in it. I want one so very bad. but I'd rather goto Gen Con first.

The in-laws have one. and when we babysat the horses for them a while back we got to sleep in it. I want one so very bad. but I'd rather goto Gen Con first.

Priorities. You do have to make sure you have your priorities straight. Glad to see you do. :lol::lol: