Sign in to follow this  
joshuaslater

Spinespur

Here's a little "How to" for those who are wondering:

Some of the build rules are a bit like Warlord: you can run a freelance, agenda or philosophy. In a freelance, the only restrictions are based on opposing alignments (Philosophy) or if a character is limited to only one faction (Agenda). You get to use any “neutrals” and then either side of the spectrum, but not both. This allows for a lot of choice in models and that’s about it.

A build based on shared philosophy allows you to exceed the maximum build total by up to 5%. This doesn’t seem like a lot, but sometimes playing with 210 points allows you to add in a certain special model or an odd additional thug and can make a big difference.

A build based on agenda allows you access to larger numbers of some troop types and also to special abilities. These are usually pretty damn good and Agenda build is my favorite.

OK, you have your force and now you are going to play. You roll your three dice (d6) and add your grit to see who deploys the first model. The winner gets to nominate the player who places first (usually his opponent) and then it goes back and forth from that point. If the roll is a tie, look to the Blood Die. Whenever you make a roll in Spur, you roll three dice, one of which is a different color. This is the blood die and is used for things like breaking ties for round control or opposed tests and also to determine damage. In the case of a tied Deployment or initiative roll, the player with the higher Blood Die wins. If that is tied, then I think the player with the most uncorrupted models wins and if that is a tie, then you roll again.

You’re deployed and ready to play. Roll for round control just like in deployment. Each figure has two actions. There are half actions which are counted accordingly. You can make two moves, move and attack, attack and move, attack and attack, cast a spell and duck for cover… When you make an attack, roll the three dice, add your brawl for melee or aim for ranged, adjust for range mods and compare to your opponent’s React score + his roll. If you tie, look to the blood die. If you hit, look to the blood die for damage. In the case of a hit, the lower the result of the Blood Die, the better the hit. Each weapon has a chart with range and Blood Die, which tells you how much damage you did. Weapon damage is based on your strength and works well. The melee ranges are B2B, .5”, 1” and 2”. Each range has different mods and most weapons have only B2B and .5”.

Spells work similarly as does ranged combat. If you strike someone from behind you get bonuses and very many models have nifty special attacks, defenses and other tricks. The game is not simplistic and should appeal to many players who like more of a mental challenge, though the system is VERY easy to learn.

The rules are VERY much rated ‘R’ and the fluff is possibly even ‘NC-17’ so don’t read it if you don’t like twisted stuff.

You should be writing reviews and critiques for games, Ranz. Thanks for that. I'll tell'em at Comfy Chair games that your review pushed me into buying into their game. Sounds really fun.

Cheers.

I think I might have to get a few models. It just looks and sounds *fun*. Although finding an opponent for this is probably harder than for Warlord, since I doubt stores carry it with the "adult" content. :rolleyes:

You don't need a game to be in stores for it to be good, or to find opponents. Yes, it's easier that way, but I don't play many games in stores these days. This company is a niche market; I'd advise going in with a friend for a rulebook and a selection of models. If you get a third player, you've got gaming going on.

I was hooked by their models a few months ago (they are really cool and disturbing) - but after reading the fluff and seeing a little game going on (really neat 2x2 urban decay table) I think I might pick this up.

I have not played *A lot* of games, but it seems to work with few against many pretty well. You could take Hack and a thug (50 points) against Dr. Akron and 3 little ones and have a nice game. The good thing aobut that is that you can combine all of those figs into one force of 100 points and have an Institution Agenda(Faction) ready to go. Add in a rulebook and it can't be even 100 bucks, more like 75 MSRP I think. It looks like 200 points is going to be the popular build and 200 points plus Rules is going to run you 80-150 bucks.

No payroll needed. If something is good, I get excited and tell people. If it's bad, I mostly keep quiet or tell people as a cautionary tale. Spur is good, according to me though YMMV. ;)

Where are they available? I looked at their online store, but they either don't have all the factions made yet, or just don't have them on the site.

The first wave is out with waves coming every 6 to 8 weeks. Check the forums for better info. Check out Komitatus.com for the hell of it as well.

You can also run into Spinespur stuff at Gencon next week (next week?! Man, it's sneakin' up on me) -- swing by the booth and give my boss more work to do. ;) I believe the booth number is 1314, they'll be doing demos and answering questions and selling rulebooks and models and t-shirts and all sorts of stuff.

A lkittle thread necro for the kool game update:

MOre minis are out and more rules coming. The RPG is well underway as is the campaign style game for Spur. (Think Necromunda as far as team development. ) :wub: I've seen some familiar faces from here on their forum as well.... 8)