Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sergei

Small, slow moving motor

7 posts in this topic

I'm making a Rift and I'm looking for a motor the will turn slowly and be easy to hide. I've never done anything like this and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

There are 2 ways to make a motor turn slowly: use a stepper motor or gear it down with a gear box.

I don't know how small stepper motors get, but they are usually bulky and require support circuitry.

You may be able to find a small servo in an R/C hobby shop that has an integrated gearbox. They can be small. You'll probably have to modify it if you want a full 360 degress of rotation.

I'd imagine a good Model Railroad shop would have something you could use as well. Maybe buy a small battery or electric powered carousel and gut it for the motor. There's probably all kinds of those Xmas/Halloween village things you could cannibalize.

I am presuming this is for a terrain piece, and not some sort of set dressing.

Correct, This is for my scenario for ORIGINS. I know a couple of shops I can check.

how about a slot car motor?

you can make it go as fast ro slow as you like by just varying the voltage and it's very small to boot.

how about a slot car motor?

you can make it go as fast ro slow as you like by just varying the voltage and it's very small to boot.

There is a limit to how slow you can make a motor go by dropping its voltage. You can go from, say, 8000 RPM at full voltage to maybe 2-3000 RPM, but if you want only a few dozen RPM, you are more likely to burn up the windings this way, and torque will fall off dramatically until it just stops turning.