• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sergei

Sergei

Godlike

• Black Lightning
  • 1009 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:55 PM

I'm making a Rift and I'm looking for a motor the will turn slowly and be easy to hide. I've never done anything like this and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I let my dice speak for me

Remember to keep safety first.....or at least in the top five

Pray to god, but row for shore.-Russian proverb

#2 Madog Barfog

Madog Barfog

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:44 PM

There are 2 ways to make a motor turn slowly: use a stepper motor or gear it down with a gear box.

I don't know how small stepper motors get, but they are usually bulky and require support circuitry.

You may be able to find a small servo in an R/C hobby shop that has an integrated gearbox. They can be small. You'll probably have to modify it if you want a full 360 degress of rotation.
Those who don't understand THAC0 (subtracting a small number from another small number) should probably not admit to it in public.

#3 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 15029 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:58 PM

I'd imagine a good Model Railroad shop would have something you could use as well. Maybe buy a small battery or electric powered carousel and gut it for the motor. There's probably all kinds of those Xmas/Halloween village things you could cannibalize.

I am presuming this is for a terrain piece, and not some sort of set dressing.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#4 Sergei

Sergei

Godlike

• Black Lightning
  • 1009 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:01 PM

Correct, This is for my scenario for ORIGINS. I know a couple of shops I can check.

I let my dice speak for me

Remember to keep safety first.....or at least in the top five

Pray to god, but row for shore.-Russian proverb

#5 Doombringer

Doombringer

Uber-Mensch

• Black Lightning
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:39 AM

how about a slot car motor?
you can make it go as fast ro slow as you like by just varying the voltage and it's very small to boot.
Lois: I guarantee you a man made that commercial. Peter: Of course a man made it. It's a commercial Lois, not a delicious thanksgiving dinner. Bud Light: Suck One Jackie Moon

#6 kristof65

kristof65

Captain of the Sky Pirates

• Bones Supporter
  • 6796 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:06 PM

I don't know if this is small enough for you, but MicroMark has an Animation Gear Motor

My Blog - Warming: May be political

Please check out my wife's Stained Glass page:
KAH Designs

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Member of the ReaperBryan Fan Club.[/font]

#7 Madog Barfog

Madog Barfog

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:18 PM

how about a slot car motor?
you can make it go as fast ro slow as you like by just varying the voltage and it's very small to boot.

There is a limit to how slow you can make a motor go by dropping its voltage. You can go from, say, 8000 RPM at full voltage to maybe 2-3000 RPM, but if you want only a few dozen RPM, you are more likely to burn up the windings this way, and torque will fall off dramatically until it just stops turning.
Those who don't understand THAC0 (subtracting a small number from another small number) should probably not admit to it in public.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users