Sign in to follow this  
Mike Mearls

Minis Database

Hey all,

I hope this is the right place to post this. If not, apologies in advance!

I love the wish list feature in the Reaper online store. I regularly use it to mark new releases that I want to buy, and then later make a one, big order for all the stuff that's caught my eye. It's really handy. In the past, I'd place an order and, right after hitting submit, remember a fig or two that I had meant to pick up.

Today, as I was pruning my wish list (made a run to the FLGS last week), I realized that it would be really, really cool if I could build a similar list of all the Reaper minis I own, maybe organzied by line and stock number (Dark Heaven 3000s on one page, 3100s on another, etc) and with a flag marking if I've painted the figure or not.

You see, just like I used to forget to add a figure or two to my orders, I'm always forgetting that painted minis I have in my collection. Almost every time I write up an adventure for my D&D group, I end up kicking myself because I forget to include a monster or cool NPC I had painted up. With an online database, it'd be easy for me to page through my collection.

Anyway, I imagine such a thing would be no easy task to implement, but it'd be neat to see.

Thanks!

- Mike

I've done something like this for some of my other collections (like paint) by using an Excel Spreadsheet. Excel works well for these kind of lists because it can export in various ways, or be stored on my PDA or Smartphone.

This has been very handy for my paint collection to make sure I don't buy a color I already have.

Perhaps when kit gets done with the figure finder, he could give us a downloadable cvs or xls file with the figure numbers and names.

EDIT: Hmm - I just went to the new fig finder Kit's been previewing to us and played a bit. If you search for the term Dark Heaven Legends, it will give you a list, in numerical order of the DHL figs. You can then copy and paste this to a text file.

Once you have it saved as a text file, you can import it to Excel very easily.

It's not online, but <nerd mode> I built one in MS Access </nerd mode>. PM me if you're interested.

[edit] Ah, well, the export to Excel method is much easier. My db handles manufacturer, line, stock number and a bunch of fiddly details, but it doesn't track pictures or import so easily. Then again, I wonder if I can export from Figure Finder to text/CSV/Excel and use it as a data source for the db...? Hmmm.... <nerd mode>

List management is a feature of Figure Finder milestone 2. Which is what I'm working on currently.

Until then, what the other guys said.

So I played with it last night, and I now have an Excel Spreadsheet that includes all the names and stock numbers for the DHL line that are in the new Figure Finder.

If anyone wants a copy of it, PM me.

I have an Excel spreadsheet somewhere that has a somewhat complete list of all Reaper models, including many OOP ones. I have not updated it in several years, however. I think someone else wanted to take it over at one point, but I can't recall who.

It included DHL, Warlord, CAV, box sets, paints, miscellaneous... I can't remember what all, and I think I didn't get past the 2900's in DHL, but the list was complete from #2000.

I worked with Ed a bit on it on getting some of the models, which included the current prices at the time and the sculptor. I just don't have time anymore to keep it up. If anyone wants this to update to current models who has the time, PM me and let me know and I'll email you the file.

Or, if anyone wants it just to have, PM me and I'll email it to you. It will at least save you some time in assembling one.