Madog Barfog

Karoak, Toad Demon

I picked him up on clearance, and of course it only made sense to get the frogmen right next to him, too, to have a little army...

So while I develop some adventure to justify this purchase, I'll be painting him up. I'm quite anxious, as he looks easy. I can't quite figure out the armor, though - is it plate male, or something Oriental?

I wanted to look at some painted examples, and maybe try to copy some styles. The last time I did that, I learned a lot, and since I don't have a particular style in mind, he would be a good mini to repeat that lesson with.

The only painted picture I could find was from some Asian site. It was one of their better paint jobs, which isn't saying much.

Can someone give me some inspiration?

BTW, I am probably going to complicate him by using a custom base. While his chicken legs are probably appropriate (hmm, tastes sort of like frog) and his base is better than the giant chunk of broccoli most DHL minis are inexplicably standing on, in general his lower half is not inspiring. Besides, 5 of my 10 lizard men/troglodytes have received rather detailed and elaborate custom bases, and the other 5 will later - and I

promise to post a tutorial.

post-3073-1184936904.jpg

So while I develop some adventure to justify this purchase, I'll be painting him up. I'm quite anxious, as he looks easy. I can't quite figure out the armor, though - is it plate male, or something Oriental?
I believe it's banded mail. :blush:

Can someone give me some inspiration?

:blink:Here is a link to a Flash Eating Toad of Madagascar - that is very creepy. :blink:

::o: (Not for the faint of heart) - Located at Syracuse University, a picture of a 5 foot / 160 pound Man Eating Chicken can be found here ::o:

:blink:Here is a link to a Flash Eating Toad of Madagascar - that is very creepy. :blink:

Is that the toad that cleans up my minis for me?

Anywho, Madog, I think it would look kinda cool to go with an Asian theme for the froggies.

You can never really go wrong with black, gold and red.

It should also nicely contrast the green on the froggies.

Right, it's definitely not plate mail - I was just repeating what someone else said. It isn't banded mail, either. I think it is Asian.

Black, gold, and red sound good. I already used black & gold for my lizardmen/troglodytes (actually about 3 different sets of minis with a common paint scheme, theme, and complimentary bases).

Now how am I going to tie that into the frogmen, who look like Amazon savages? http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/02630

Right, it's definitely not plate mail - I was just repeating what someone else said. It isn't banded mail, either. I think it is Asian.

Black, gold, and red sound good. I already used black & gold for my lizardmen/troglodytes (actually about 3 different sets of minis with a common paint scheme, theme, and complimentary bases).

Now how am I going to tie that into the frogmen, who look like Amazon savages? http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/02630

Toad demon is the noble and the frogmen are the serfs that live off of his land... There were plenty of jungle islands under Japans control so you've actually got a great justification for using 'em together.

Right, and that's basically what I'll do in game terms, but I think there should be some visual reference - ideally, something like a primitive emulation by the frogmen of the frog demon's appearance.

I'm not able to sculpt any conversion, though.

Right, and that's basically what I'll do in game terms, but I think there should be some visual reference - ideally, something like a primitive emulation by the frogmen of the frog demon's appearance.

I'm not able to sculpt any conversion, though.

You should really just be able to tie them together with color and with basing.

I know that may seem kind of basic but it will bring them together.

Perhaps you may also want to check out the various Reaper weapon sprues and give your tribe frogs slightly advanced weaponry.

Often the villagers would pillage equipment off of dead Samurai, sometimes they'd even kill them.