PurityThruFire

Purity's Monique DeNoir 54mm

Monique DeNoir 54mm was the first Reaper mini I added to my "Bookshelf of Shame", so it seems fitting that she should be the subject of my first ever attempt at doing a "display" quality mini. Up until now I have been happy cranking out tabletop quality mini and painting from the bottle. I've been floating around this forum trying to suck up as much knowledge as possible, let's see if I learned anything shall we.

I'm not going to be painting her as a Vampire. I'm going with an "evil" fighter look but I'm not tying myself down, we'll see what happens as she progesses. In another thread I began discussing how I want to use the dark elf skin triad for her armour. I'm thinking pale skin contrasting with dark armor, again we shall see how it works out, if it does at all. The cloth and the lining on the armor are still up in the air at this moment, though it seems that if I do not do it purple I will be hunted down and beaten :poke: .

I haven't really got much done. Trying to fit in painting while reading the new (and final!) Harry Potter book. I cleaned her up and primed her. I've laid down the basecoat for her skin (a big thanks to Anne for the advice she's been giving on her current WIP, I think this is my nicest looking basecoat yet!). I will be using the Reaper fair skin triad, the only color I have laid down is the fair shadow, I'll be working my way up on her skin. I will also be attempting to use all Reaper master paints on her as they are the best (shameless plug!). Hopefully tonight I will get some dark lining done and do some layering on her skin. Can't make any promises though, Harry Potter is getting REALLY good ::P:

Comments, questions, constructive criticism all welcome

With out further ado I present to you Monique the Primed (and somewhat basecoated)!

post-4056-1185142979_thumb.jpg

I will be watching your WIP as I am very interested to see how she turns out. Good luck and dont let her get the best of you.

If you are still going with the dark elf skin for black armor then you could do gold or green for the cloth. Make the colors bold but where the tattered ends of fabric are make it look really washed out. That or somewhat dirty and soiled.

I won't hunt you down and beat you if you don't do purple. Now east or VV I can't say. They may very well hunt you down if you don't do purple. I have my own ideas on how I want to paint her though . . . I just need to get my hands on her.

In my experience the fair skin triad looks very close to each other in tone. You may want to darken the shadow a bit, or go a little lighter on the highlight.

Perhaps.

I haven't painted a 54mm fig yet.

Ishil

Dark lining was a royal pain in the butt and did not go quite so well as planned.

I'm currently touching up her skin, so much for that smooth as silk base coat.

:down:

This too shall pass PTF...

I am looking forward to seeing this one come together - regardless of what colours you choose.

BTW - have you had any problems getting her to stand on her base? or are you goung to base her on something else? (Just throw that out in case you haven't checked it yet - but the raised symbol on her base and her cloak/tabbard don't always play well together - better to hack at her now than later when she is painted).

Yeah, I think part of why this one is still sitting after almost six months is that I don't like the base that came with it and I haven't come up with anything better yet. I do want to see how this comes out. I used the Dark Elf Skin triad on something. I think it was a horse for a GW Blood Dragons Necromancer. It is an interesting series of colors.

I'm with Ishil on how close together the skin tones can be. It is noticeable in the Fair Skin, but I see it somewhat in the Tanned triad as well. I often use colors from the adjacent triads (Dark Skin and Fair Skin) to give a bit more contrast to the Tanned triad. I would probably used Tanned Skin as a base for Fair, if I were to go for something really pale.

Edited by Cerridwyn1st

This too shall pass PTF...

I am looking forward to seeing this one come together - regardless of what colours you choose.

BTW - have you had any problems getting her to stand on her base? or are you goung to base her on something else? (Just throw that out in case you haven't checked it yet - but the raised symbol on her base and her cloak/tabbard don't always play well together - better to hack at her now than later when she is painted).

VV - No fear, I know it will pass, I won't be throwing th emini at the wall or anything to that effect. I was already planning on adding some more detritus to the slab so she would stand on it fine. I've got some plans for the base.

You shall see...Mu ha ha ha ha ha!

Mel - I was already thinking about going back and darkening up the basecoat. I'm going to see for myself how the fair triad works and if need be I will go back and redo it. I may even lighten the highlights to her skin, once I start the layering I'll see how it comes out. I may even go with thicker layers and see how that comes out, I'm testing a lot of stuff here I was never really able to do with tabletop models. I do want her to look really pale, but still not a Vampire. Along the lines of a goth girl.

Looks good so far. Nice primer coat on it

I didn't have much of a problem with the base. A little raised but not very noticable. As with the smooth skin a quick fix is buffing it with a floating medium. Soften's and smooths the paint pretty well. Use it a lot on the bigger scupts. It will bleed over on your armor though, touching up shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes I just throw a dark wash over the edging, eaiser to touch up and gives the same effect I think. May need acouple of coats depending on consistency. Seems to blend good as well.

Keep at it and don't get discouraged. Switching to a different style of mini is alot of trial and error. Just takes time to figure it out.

Already has some major mess-ups with the skin.

As this is early on I figured it would just be easier to strip her than keep on going over mistakes.

Fear not, I am not giving up, just a minor set back.

In a matter of a few hours I should have her re-primed and back to working on the skin.

As this is early on I figured it would just be easier to strip her than keep on going over mistakes.

In a matter of a few hours I should have her re-primed and back to working on the skin.

Sorry to hear you were having problems. You might try using Tanned Highlight as your base coat for the Fair Skin triad. You could even darken that a little with Tanned Skin.

Sorry to hear you were having problems. You might try using Tanned Highlight as your base coat for the Fair Skin triad. You could even darken that a little with Tanned Skin.

Ah, no problems, this is what experimenting is all about.

I was actually thinking about darkening fair shadow with tanned highlight, leaving fair skin as is and then lightening fair highlight with a dab of linen white. That should give me a little more contrast in the skintone.

Nope... No pressure at all ::D:

Least I can do is play cheerleader whilst you paint Monique as you've been chiming in from time to time on my checkerboard efforts :poke:

Nope... No pressure at all ::D:

Least I can do is play cheerleader whilst you paint Monique as you've been chiming in from time to time on my checkerboard efforts :poke:

Woo Hoo! :lol: Fan club!

This is where I stand, she is re-primed and I have re-basecoated her flesh areas. This time instead of using straight Fair Shadow, I mixed 25% Tanned Skin with 75% Fair Shadow. Hopefully that should give the shade a little more depth. Any one who wants to say they told me so about the Fair Skin triad, I implore you to do so now. As soon as I can put down the new Harry Potter for more than 5 minutes I will be working on the layers on her skin. I will be worrying about dark lining later. Right now I want to focus on giving her a realistic flesh tone.

Possibly, maybe some new pics later, and I do mean later as I probably won't start painting until around 11 or so.