Sign in to follow this  
dargrin

Chest/arm Hair

How does one do this see attached example. I know if try and winf this it would be bad.

img4658aff830fcd.jpg

Looks like it was done with a very fine brush and thinned out paint or perhaps a careful glaze over the top of the hair strokes with the base flesh tone....I'm guessing of course but that's what it looks like to me.

Hair on the Chest, belly and arms is what I want to duplicate. I suppose the tattoos would also cross into this as well. These are very well done and was hoping to see if anyone knows how this was done. Either by doing it or seening it done.

It's freehand, with thinned paint and a very fine brush. With the color they were using for the hairs it would probably have gone a bit dark so I would expect that there are a couple of flesh-colored glazes over the hair pattern to soften the effect.

For the hair on the arms you're using the same technique those savvy historicals guys use to layer up highlights on horse hair--use a long, thin, layering stroke and brush in the direction the hair would grow. Leave some of the skin color showing through as this artist has, or it'll look like he's growing a pelt! :lol:

For the chest hair, that's been very cleverly done. He obviously studied from life or a photo; chest hairs are usually slightly curly and he's simulated that with what looks like a cross-hatched brushstroke. Very well-done! Who's the artist?

--Anne

Thanks Anne. Time to break out the 0000 and message my eyes for a few minutes.

Who's the artist?

--Anne

I don't know the artist name but he goes under the screen name "The Yellow One" on Cool Mini or Not. He has some pretty amazing work. I can only hope to be at that level some day. :down:

Since there's more than one way to do things, another solution would be to use a technical pen or a ultra fine point marker.

On the tattoos: 3rd to the last step, more than likely drawn on with an ultra fine tip marker. The 2nd step would be a final wash of skintone to "age" the tattoo. The last step would probably have been the hair.

With the hair: It looks to me that this was done with something similar to a Koh-I-Noor size #2x0 (.30 mm). Rather than ink, the medium would have been something similar to Golden Airbrush Color's Transparent Raw Umber Hue. The right profile's right arm, near the elbow, has either the hair "applied too thick", or shows slight signs of "troughing" where too much pressure could have been applied.

If it were me, I would have applied it "last step" as the previous highlighting and shadows would provide continuity to the transparent "hair". Plus, if it went all wrong, at last step a quick touch of alcohol would remove the offense.

This isn't to refute other's opinions, nor is it in fact "proof" of how it was done. This does however provide an alternative. The only way to know for sure, would be to ask the one who did it.

Just my 2 cents worth. :poke: