joshuaslater

Metal Prices

I thought Andy at Heresy was extremely straight forward as to the whys of the price increase.

1. Independent company.

2. No price increase in years, despite putting out a line of multi-part models, usually large, with the customer's customization in mind, and always more for your bits box.

3. Free shipping on large orders, and price breaks on buying more than one model of a given type.

4. A new casting machine and the costs of upgrading the operation.

I don't see any kind of lie in his announcement and the reasoning is pretty spelled out. I would recommend going to his actual site, and the FOD to get all the details before making Andy and Heresy out to be a liar.

Crocodile games. Price increase. GW. Price increase. Reaper. Price increase. Need I go on?

I didn't see those points, I merely read the announcement concerning the tin price increase and resulting mini price increase. I can appreciate the expenses and trouble involved in running a business and I don't mind the price increases themselves. From that single announcement however I didn't get any of that. To me it sounded very much like he was placing the price increases solely on tin prices, which I thought sounded wrong.

So I did my calculations, and still stand by the conclusion I reached. The price increase on the bulky stuff cannot be explained solely by tin prices unless the minis consume 1.5-3 kilos of metal.

I don't know the guy, but from what I hear he's a nice guy. I know I like his minis which are really cool, and the prices on his minis (even after the price increases) are completely reasonable considering bulkyness and quality. I'm not attacking any of that. I'm just saying I don't buy the "tin prices are forcing me to increase the price on azeroth to £25-£35" story.

I only read that one announcement, and I'm sure the reasons for the price increase are completely reasonable. I guess I'm just taking my built up annoyance with the "tin prices"-story out on Heresy, which ofcourse is completely unfair since everyone has been telling the "tin price"-story for years and this is his first time telling it.

Edited by vejlin

just found his post about the new machine further down. Sounds to me like it's about time he increases the prices. A business balance of £100 is very tight.

I think the thing could be that a metal price increase drives up monthly expenses, and miniatures have to be raised to try to cover that, NOT to try to make each miniature work out to exactly metal + margin, but to make the total sales of minis do that. Anyway, gotta go to work. Just remember these things can be very different at the business end relative to the consumer end.

A couple of points to mention:

1) Croc gets their stuff cast by Iron Wind Metals, I believe, so I am pretty sure that they are just passing along their costs,

2) I know that Garrison and Minifigs USA are running tight as well and in answer to the Heresy notice they said they will have to probably raise prices as well,

3) My understanding about tin is that China has a near monopoly on its production, ergo they have an inordinate amount of influence on us.

Remember that metal prices aren't the only thing that has gone up. Energy costs either direct (transport of finished product, powering/heating/cooling the factory) or indirect (transport costs of metal or other materials factored into increased raw material costs) have gone up as well. There's also some inflationary pressure and possibly increased credit costs.

Ron

exactly Ron. And I don't mind the price increase, there's a lot of competition in the mini market and I'm sure this competition keeps minis at a reasonable price. I'm just tired of the "tin prices made me do it" explanation being used every time.

The logic seems to be that if the tin prices doubled then people are likely to accept large price increases, while people are too ignorant to realize that when they themselves earn more money than last year, then the guy casting the minis, the guy driving the truck etc etc probably also would like to earn more money (so they can afford the rent and food that's also more expensive than last year). Everything else is getting more expensive every year, I expect minis to more or less follow the general price increases in society.

I'm sorry that I pissed off people, guess I got a little excited and took all my built up annoyance out on Heresy. I apologize. If the Heresy guys read this I apologize to you guys especially for overreacting.

Edited by vejlin

A couple of points to mention:

1) Croc gets their stuff cast by Iron Wind Metals, I believe, so I am pretty sure that they are just passing along their costs,

2) I know that Garrison and Minifigs USA are running tight as well and in answer to the Heresy notice they said they will have to probably raise prices as well,

3) My understanding about tin is that China has a near monopoly on its production, ergo they have an inordinate amount of influence on us.

Yes, Iron Wind does all the casting and mold making for Crocodile Games, they also do this for a number of the other small companies.

China has a near monopoly tin based on active mines. When tin mines outside of China couldn't compete with the prices the mines shut down. As tin prices rise and make it profitable to mine it again those mines will re-open, the short term effectis that the prices rise dramatically until the older mines are producing again. When that happens there will be a stabilization in the price and maybe a slight drop in the price. Its impossible to say when it will be profitable for mines outside of China to re-open though.

Rumour has it, and I have no concrete proof, that the same companies that own the mines over there in the far East have ownership, or a hand in, other mines throughout the world. Why reopen a mine in the U.S., pay higher salaries and operating costs, when you can keep makin' money on the cheap?

this may be slightly off topic but....is it possible to send reaper the slag..from minis that we buy...so it might help off set any riseing prices....and help recyle the metal at the same time...

i do have a small bit saved...after buying more than 200 reaper minis.....and many others from other companies...

i was thinking of melting down some junk minis some day...to maybe make something else... :unsure:

Yes. In fact, you can recycle your Reaper metal for Reaper minis at ReaperCon.

It has to be Reaper metal though, not mixed in with other companies metal.

just at reaper con only? what about for those that cant travel that far?...... that is in the US..and im in Canada...

and how can you tell...what metal is which....besides any reaper logos on it...if any...? :wow::rock:

Rumour has it, and I have no concrete proof, that the same companies that own the mines over there in the far East have ownership, or a hand in, other mines throughout the world. Why reopen a mine in the U.S., pay higher salaries and operating costs, when you can keep makin' money on the cheap?

Let's see, obviously I can't disaprove such a rumor, we are dealing with communist China. I'm not all together sure that they would allow a foreign company to own any mines in their country, work them maybe, own them no. One of the reasons for the rise in the cost of tin isn't that those mines are dropping in production but that China is keeping it and using it internally. Tin is a vital part of creating electronic components an industry that has really coming into its own in China.