Frankthedm

D&D 4E seems to be looming ahead.

I am so glad I bailed on this game at 3.0. If anyone is looking for a good generic system that can be used across multiple genres, try Unisystem. It is what I use now and I have never looked backed.

Anthony

All Flesh Must be Eaten is my second favorite RPG. (it would be my first, but an extended campaign is... difficult. Either the problem gets cleaned up quickly and the campaign ends, or everyone gets wiped out and the campaign ends, or they find someplace and get enough supplies stocked and the area secured well enough that they can live out the rest of their lives in peace and the players get bored and the campaign ends)

Keeping in mind that I've only seen Unisystem as used in AFMBE, I'd think that the system is too unforgiving for heroic fantasy style combat. I mean, one or two hits will kill almost any PC character. Is that a problem?

The high lethality of the game was addressed in the Dungeons and Zombies (I love that title) supplement by proposing a couple easy rules for a high fantasy setting. Such as, removing damage multipliers and allowing PC's to purchase additional life points beyond what is normally allowed. I prefer the more dangerous combat system. It makes players think and plan before running into combat with guns blazing and swords swinging. I wish I had the time and group for a long term campaign...

Anthony

To each his own I say! I feel the pain of many of the negative posters, I grew up on 1ED and considered 2ED to be an afront to my senses! :wacko: That said i purchased ONE 2ED book, the Monster Manuel, reason, I loved the fact that the new dragons were supercharged in 2ED. When 3ED came out I purchased the core books and a few others because the new system intrigued me and many of my old RPG buddies came out of retirement to play again. Like many others i refused to buy 3.5 on the grounds that it wasnt different enough to warrant the spending of $ on what I considered a "tweek" of the 3ED rules. If the 4ED looks like fun and is significantly different I'll give it a whirl, but I wont prejudge it or WoTC motives until I get to see it. One final note, I really hope WoTC supports the new system with some well written modules, I miss them most of all from my 1ED days. Some of my fondest memories come from maps like Against the Giants, Tomb of Horrors, Queen of the Demonweb Pits, Ghost Tower of Inverness, and on and on. With Dungeon Magazine gone the way of the dodo I'd really like to see a rebirth of good module writing for the 4th Ed.

Bought 3.0 ed core books and DMed a game of it twice....

Bought D20 Liscense books and played many, many more times.

I liked the D20 version of the Everquest 1 RPG, and I liked 2nd ed, but I will most likely stick with my new interests in spaceship combat than give money to a company like WoTC or GW that try to take all my money. :rolleyes:

Quick timeline:

2000 - 3.0

2003 - 3.5

2008 - 4.0

So, yeah, after eight years (or five, if you consider 3.5 a complete edition of its own - I don't) I have no problem with a new edition coming out.

So, yeah, after eight years (or five, if you consider 3.5 a complete edition of its own - I don't) I have no problem with a new edition coming out.

When that x.5 edition renders all previously released book obsolete, yes, I consider that an edition of its own. If 3.5 had only added and errata'd the released 3.0 books, then I would have bought into the nomeclature. But they released 3 new "core" books and supplanted all the "splat" class and setting books as well. Pretty greedy, IMO.

Anyway, just something to think about.

~v

Edited by Shakandara

When that x.5 edition renders all previously released book obsolete, yes, I consider that an edition of its own. If 3.5 had only added and errata'd the released 3.0 books, then I would have bought into the nomeclature. But they released 3 new "core" books and supplanted all the "splat" class and setting books as well. Pretty greedy, IMO.

~v

That's one way of looking at it, here's another:

I bought 3.0 when it came out, when 3.5 came out all the errata and changes were available on the internet.

No one who bought 3.0 was forced to buy 3.5, but it did make sense to print out the 3.5 books for those who hadn't yet bought 3.0, rather than just have 3.0 and loose printouts from the internet, or print errata sheets in the back, but only in the newer ones you print. .5 makes it pretty easy for the customer to realize that this was the most up to date release.

(shrug) Some people like all the newest updated rules and errata in one place.

To compare to Microsoft, would you rather have the Windows XP disk, do all the service packs, then get the upgrade to Vista, or would you rather just have the Vista Disk with all the stuff already on it.

~v

That's one way of looking at it, here's another:

I bought 3.0 when it came out, when 3.5 came out all the errata and changes were available on the internet.

No one who bought 3.0 was forced to buy 3.5, but it did make sense to print out the 3.5 books for those who hadn't yet bought 3.0, rather than just have 3.0 and loose printouts from the internet, or print errata sheets in the back, but only in the newer ones you print. .5 makes it pretty easy for the customer to realize that this was the most up to date release.

(shrug) Some people like all the newest updated rules and errata in one place.

To compare to Microsoft, would you rather have the Windows XP disk, do all the service packs, then get the upgrade to Vista, or would you rather just have the Vista Disk with all the stuff already on it.

Wish you could look at it that way but that is very erroneous statement Cadaver.

The errata and changes were available prior to the release then pulled the day the books hit the shelves.

There never was any intention by Wotc to freely release 3.5 in a form that could be downloaded.

I believe March before the release both the OGL and SRD changed. Significantly changing the playing field.

The M$ comparison.. is funny..

~v

Tell me, exactly what in the 3.5 rulebooks invalidates the content of the 3.0 classbooks and setting books?

The errata and changes were available prior to the release then pulled the day the books hit the shelves.

There never was any intention by Wotc to freely release 3.5 in a form that could be downloaded.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

..and that conspiracy theory is disproven.

..and that conspiracy theory is disproven.

The first sentence of the "3.5 update" booklet states, "The purpose of this booklet is not to provide a comprehensive list of everything that has changed with the 3.5 revesion. The changes are too large in number and varied in scope to be able to provide an all-inclusive inventory. Instead, what we want to do is to show you a broad picture of what has changed and to provide you with support for updating our most popular product."

I was one of the people that downloaded that booklet with the hopes that WotC was doing the right thing. But, clearly they were not.

Anthony

The first sentence of the "3.5 update" booklet states, "The purpose of this booklet is not to provide a comprehensive list of everything that has changed with the 3.5 revesion. The changes are too large in number and varied in scope to be able to provide an all-inclusive inventory. Instead, what we want to do is to show you a broad picture of what has changed and to provide you with support for updating our most popular product."

I was one of the people that downloaded that booklet with the hopes that WotC was doing the right thing. But, clearly they were not.

Anthony

Come on, now. Doing the right thing? Do you really expect a game company to give away free constant updates for a product that at the time was three years old? What other product besides software does that?

They didn't have to release the errata at all.

They need to eat as well you know.

Anthony

Come on, now. Doing the right thing? Do you really expect a game company to give away free constant updates for a product that at the time was three years old? What other product besides software does that?

They didn't have to release the errata at all.

They need to eat as well you know.

I don't expect constant updates, that's why I did not say that. I did expect an x.5 update, much the way Reaper has done with Warlord. Also, I don't appreciate a bait and switch, by posting an update book that's not really an update book.

Anthony

I don't expect constant updates, that's why I did not say that. I did expect an x.5 update, much the way Reaper has done with Warlord. Also, I don't appreciate a bait and switch, by posting an update book that's not really an update book.

Anthony

If you're just complaining that WotC didn't make a nice, simple, easy-to-read booklet with all of the changes listed clearly in black-and-white for you, fine, I can understand that, but I see little substance in that argument given the existence of the SRD which contains nearly all of the rules anyway.