• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 fieldarchy

fieldarchy

Goddess of Pastels and Nekkid Chicks

• Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:08 PM

Ok guys, I'm going to start looking at miniatures to paint for golden demons 2008. I have a lot of questions though and I can't seem to find the info on the golden demon site. So I wanted to check with you guys to see what y'all know.

First, I've heard that if you paint the LOTR stuff it has to be the same colors as in the movies. Is this correct?
Second, can you deviate even the slightest bit off the game cosmology? I believe Anne said that everything has to match the faction history/cosmology for the game.
Third, what restrictions are there? What things should I stay away from?
Fourth, do I have a freaking shot in hell?!?!

Any input would be great!

Meg
Michael Genet: *chuckle* I guess you can. I've never heard anyone say that before, "I can be my own whore".
Me: No, I said, "I can toot my own horn"

Arcane Paintworks Blog
Arcane Paintworks Fan Page

#2 Lord Wehrmacht

Lord Wehrmacht

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:16 PM

Meg,

Got this from the UK site, its a decent overview I guess. Recently I think there was an article in White Dwarf addressing some of the more nuanced thematic issues with figures and their place in the storyline/ethos.

http://uk.games-work...s-guidelines/1/

Got paint all over me... Ill look for the mag asap.

LW

#3 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6132 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:22 PM

The only thing I can say for sure is STICK TO THE FLUFF. Deviate from it to much and it will be held against you. Don't paint your orcs with redskin, and avoid using mythological or religious symbols that are not part of the existing material. You will do much better.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#4 Joe Kutz

Joe Kutz

Godlike

• Members
  • 1364 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:29 PM

Best advice is to take a look at what won past Demons and go from there.

Based on that, I would have to say...

Yes, LoTR stuff only gets picked if it is true to the movies.
Yes, you can deviate from the game cosmology...if you give them something which is good enough for them to integrate into the game cosmology. In the past winning entries have become new factions in future Codeci (sp?). If you are using an existing group for inspiration, you need to stick to what it says about those groups - afterall it is more about marketing for them, than art for you.
The only real restriction is that everything has to be either GW or made by you. If you use a really cool looking sword/skull/dead body from an outside company...you can be disqualified. This extends into ideas as well. So be careful if you want to add a bit of humor by referencing movies/TV or something else which is non-GW.
Stay away from stuff they are not currently pushing. While I don't have time to lay it all out...it seems that they tend to choose Golden Demon's from their golden children at the time. Certain things are up front and center in their marketing scheme...they like them to win, since it gives them additional marketing leverage.

Could you win? Yep - I think so. Time, thought in composition and a bit of luck go a long way towards that end though.

#5 Lord Wehrmacht

Lord Wehrmacht

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

Stay away from stuff they are not currently pushing. While I don't have time to lay it all out...it seems that they tend to choose Golden Demon's from their golden children at the time. Certain things are up front and center in their marketing scheme...they like them to win, since it gives them additional marketing leverage.

Think Orcs here for 08... betcha.

LW

#6 Enchantra

Enchantra

Godlike

• Members
  • 10545 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

Having never entered a Golden demon competition I don't know what it takes to enter one. However, I do think you can do it. I've seen your work. Just put extra time into it, and focus on refining everything to the point of anal-retentivity and you can do it. I have faith in you. ::D:

The Federal Government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it.  We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as "progress," doesn't spread.  -Andy Rooney

http://www.artfire.c...nchantedRegalia

http://www.pinterest.../amandabielski/

#7 Versutus Vulpes

Versutus Vulpes

Godlike

• Members
  • 1735 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:54 PM

What about the new Russians for the 40K? Vostroyans...

They are kinda new aren't they?

Some pretty neat looking minis in that set.

They like mods too if memory serves. All GW parts - but combined in new ways floats their collective boats. And weathered/distressed/battle damage.

And good news - they also appreciate metallics that are done well - not just NMM.

Check out this winner from a Canada Games Day 2007... Metallics - and some of the best reds I have ever seen.
It's not enough to bash in heads - you've got to bash in minds... ~ Captain Hammer ~

#8 Dane

Dane

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:40 PM

I believe they just released a new Chaos Marines codex recently. That could be an option.

#9 Versutus Vulpes

Versutus Vulpes

Godlike

• Members
  • 1735 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:57 PM

I believe they just released a new Chaos Marines codex recently. That could be an option.

You could do purple and teal then!!!!
It's not enough to bash in heads - you've got to bash in minds... ~ Captain Hammer ~

#10 Joe Kutz

Joe Kutz

Godlike

• Members
  • 1364 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:58 PM

As it stands right now...Orks would likely be a good option. They still haven't updated that Codex...so it will likely get tapped next year - Dark Eldar too. The Chaos Space marines would be old news by then...however, it is a line that GW always likes to push since it is something that they can tag a lot of sales on to (people who mod characters, fairly $$$ expensive armies).

At this point though, I'd expirement a lot till next spring and see how their market is shaping up then. If Armageddon takes off, you might see GW head in a different direction...however getting familiar with a handful of the Armies will help when you get a bit closer.

#11 fieldarchy

fieldarchy

• Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:03 PM

hmmm . . . think I'm going to head to GW in Grapevine tomorrow to check out the scene. I've never really even looked at GW stuff in the three years I've been painting other than acknowledging it exists. I just like Reaper so much more. You can betcha that my GenCon entry next year will be Reaper in some way most likely!
Michael Genet: *chuckle* I guess you can. I've never heard anyone say that before, "I can be my own whore".

Arcane Paintworks Blog

#12 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:14 PM

Could a really cool Reaper Mini not win a golden demon?

#13 fieldarchy

fieldarchy

• Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:19 PM

nope Golden Demon is GW sponsored so it's GW models ONLY

Arcane Paintworks Blog

#14 Angorak

Angorak

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

Not a chance Stubbdog..:(

Not even a most excellently painted Reaper could be entered. The GW police would have you incarcerated for the affront to thier sensitivity...
GW minis only I'm afraid.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Wow...that was fun!" Attending a wedding for the first time, a little girl whispered to her mother, 'Why is the bride dressed in white?'' The mother replied, 'Because white is the color of happiness, and today is the happiest day of her life.' The child thought about this for a moment then said, 'So why is the groom wearing black?'

#15 paintminion

paintminion

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1269 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:38 PM

Keep it new stuff, tell a story, attention to fluff, to detail, and basing. Make it pop, make it unique, but make it totally GW mind-set. Know your fluff well, be innovative, find out who the judge's are and what they've liked in the past. Make it look good for the camera and show the fluff. Did I mention the fluff? Most of all--find something that inspires you and you'll enjoy working so hard on.

Do a dragon--worked for me! :devil:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users