joshuaslater

The Big Book of Reaper Painting

I have the Citadel painting book and I think it stinks! It's nothing but a collection of short blurbs that I find very unhelpful.

Funny you say that. I thought the same thing, but I didn't want to say it, since I have the older versions of both the painting and the war gaming terrain books. There were just a bunch of pictures of the wonderfu finished project and some very basic description like "We used polystyrene for the base and added some flock." Which left me feeling much like the "How to draw" books which would say "First draw a circle, then another circle. Fill in the details and Wow It looks like a horse!" and you would see a fully shaded and colored perfectly rendered equine. These always made me think, "Hey you left out a couple steps in there somewhere!"

I looked at the latest GW wargaming terrain book, and it seemed about the same, even though I was able to steal a couple more ideas of possible materials but I felt I got nothing that I couldn't have found online.

And yeah, I have to agree. In my brief time here, I have gotten more tips and encouragement then I ever did from any of the 'Eavy Metal tutorials they gave.

I'm all for the book, but I'm honestly dissapointed to hear that a DVD is out of the question. Watching someone in action beats a gazillion step-by-step pictures any day. Us noobs need all the help we can get!

I can't even imagine trying to produce a DVD for painting techniques. Its always better to watch someone in action but the time involved for to put it together is probably prohibitive.

I'm all for the book, but I'm honestly dissapointed to hear that a DVD is out of the question. Watching someone in action beats a gazillion step-by-step pictures any day. Us noobs need all the help we can get!

No sure where you are from pierworker, but I found myself in a similar boat. All of this advice online but it didn't always sink in. Luckily for me, a bunch of the painters in New England have decided to get together and have a seasonal paint day to meet each other an swap tips and techniques. The second one was this past Saturday. I think I learned more tere than my pst few years trolling the boards. It does make a huge difference seeing things in person. Try and connect with other painters in you area or go to a con and take a class. Once I practice what I've learned I'm sure my painting will improve.