Mojoman

Possible New Faction

Has Warlord ever considered releasing a faction of Roman or Greek styled miniatures and creating a faction similar to ancient Rome or Greece. I think it would be interesting to see a group of Spartan Hoplites and Greek ballistas, mixed with some centurions or peltasts on the battle field... Just a thought.

There is no reason you couldn't get some 28mm historic greek and spartan miniatures and play them as a mercenary troop,

the only possible problem is that you won't be able to use them in official tournaments.

The upside is that being mercenarys you can add the troop in to any other faction you happen to play with.

I think it would be a cool idea. Perhaps they are from the western coast of the sea that Taltos sets on. After letting Taltos battle for years they've decided to come in full swing and take the land.

They could have a few models that used the Lock Shield rule that Overlord phalanx use.

The idea of a lightly armored, mostly human, greek inspired army could be very cool.

Perhaps this type of faction could also contain half-elves. The ones that don't believe it's their job to die gracefully in battle and refuse to be used as fodder by their pure blood brethren.

There is also no reason to not include the plethora of mythological beasts that perhaps they convert into beasts of war.

Let's see Cyclops, Minotaurs, and whatever else we can dig up!

One of the guys that plays with us on a regular basis there at the Gamewyze in Vista Ridge mall in Lewisville, uses the crusader datacards for play, but proxies a bunch of kelt barbarian type miniatures that he has had for a long time.

As long as we know what they are suppose to be, its all good.

Alrighty Shakhak... Let's start a petition!

Other Ideas... there could be philosophers that can confuse or convert enemy units. There could be demi-god heroes such as Achilles, or Hercules. We could have Zeus be the Warlord... or a Caesar. I'm blending two civilizations here, but in all fairness, the Romans stole most of their gods anyway. Other beasties could include some gorgons, cerberus, titans, and much more.

I would love to field an army made up of a troop of hoplites, a troop of peltasts, a couple solos like Perseus and Hercules and maybe a titan and a gorgon... too fun!

C'mon Reaper peeps... unite to bring in a new faction. :lol:

Alright I'm game, we need to find a bigger map so we can see what is across the Sea of Stars and maybe give our fictional faction a place to come from.

Does anyone know what is across the sea?

Let's get some bare bones for what could come out of this faction. It should be very different than anything currently in Taltos. We're talking oversea invaders, not the northern neighbors like Overlords.

We'll say the faction is starting out as a small addition, fluff wise these would be the scouting vessals, game wise it's to keep the initial start small, about the size of Razig.

Warlords 1/2

- Large based human or minotaur (I can't decide which would look cooler) give him a ripped body, make sure he is noticibly tied to electricity. (Innate: Bolt; Innate: Lightning spell)

-

Other leaders 4

-Half Elven Unq. Captain (I'm thinking a mage fighter)

-Minotaur Captain, stats very similar to the Adept

-

-

Elites 4

- A massive human. Some say he can wrestle a Minotaur to the ground. Hercules under a different name. Awesome melee stats, leather armor, flowing cape.

- Half elven, Master of wisdom. Cleric 2/4, Mage 2/4.

-

-

Adepts 2/3

-Humans/Half Elves modeled similar to Spartan soldiers, large round shields (Reach, First Strike, Shield Lock)

-Minotaurs modeled after spartan soldiers, HUGE shields, halberds instead of spears

-Pegasus Riders. Nuff said.

Grunts 3/4

-Robed archers, very low DV. Mix the races Human and Half Elven.-

-

-

Solos 2

- Gorgon. We've got the model, let's repackage and stat this puppy up.

- Cerberus Hounds, Give them a ranged attack and Disable

Theme:

I think one thing warlord suffers from is either Faction Racitus. Where a faction has too many races or only a single one. (Elves, Crusaders, Dwarves vs Reven, Reptus, Nefsokar)

That's why I tossed out the idea of Humans, Half Elves, and Minotaurs being the primary races of our made up faction. 3 Races, all are fairly different, and each can offer something Unique to the faction.

Humans offer a large population to fill the ranks. Easy to train, and unbreakable spirits.

Half Elves offer the intelligence and long life of their elven heritage. Also comes is an uncanny ability to lead and practices in magic and faith.

Minotaurs offer a strong arm. Largely thought of as beasts by outsiders... in our land they are treated as equals and show us the same respect. Through this they have slowly become more civilized and offer us the strongest of warriors and unique war tactics.

Keeping with our Greek/Roman theme, I'd like to see strong spirited warriors of human and minotaur decent that mirror Spartan soldiers and Intelligent scholors that fill the ranks as half elves.

We need to pick an alignment.

We need to decide how the other factions feel about us:

Perhaps we are at odds with the elves. Since we house and protect Half Elves as our own.

Mercs and Razig would know of us for sure since we are across the pond. What the Mercs think of us is up in the air.

If we're a long standing empire, perhaps the last time we were near Taltos was when we aiding in removing Nefsokar. If he his people are marching, perhaps it's good reason to return.

With all of the liches coming out of the wood work, maybe our half elves are pursuing arcane knowledge.

How do we feel about undead?

Undead? Well, since ancient cultures (including Greece and Rome) believed in an afterlife and paid attention to ancestry and heritage, perhaps we believe it is an abomination to force said ancestors to be raised to serve as grunts for a power-hungry, sick, and twisted Judas...?

What about our cyclops?

I think our alignment should be neutral. We come from a land unknown to Taltos, so perhaps our culture does not necessarily fit into the classic black/white, right/wrong category. We have honor and intelligence, yet we fight with rage and take no quarter. Also, we are expansionistic; destroying or assimilating anything in our path.

What else?

The Apocalypse game book has detail on most of Adon. I don't recall there being a Hellenic/Roman based nation in there, but that doesn't mean anything.

[MOD] I'm also going to move this over to Factions and Tactics. [/MOD]

Edited by Qwyksilver

The Apocalypse game book has detail on most of Adon. I don't recall there being a Hellenic/Roman based nation in there, but that doesn't mean anything.

I have DHA, and since it only details the continent of Adon, I've wondered if anything will ever come out that will show any of the rest of the world of Avalorr. No reason races like that couldn't be somwhere else in the world. Possible Warlord expansions maybe?

Hint, hint.

One thing I haven't kept up on is the fluff in the faction books that were released. Does anyone know if they go into detail at all about surrounding lands?

Has anyone heard anything on whether a plan to update the world/continent fluff from DHA to Warlord exists?

It would just be nice to have something up to date on that, as I'm sure everyone here agrees.

@BrushMaster

Those are great looking models. The bronze bull was what I was thinking of when I said Gorgon. Thanks for digging up links for those.

The bronze bull was what I was thinking of when I said Gorgon.

According to Greek mythology a Gorgon was a creature with a woman's face, torso, and arms, with the body of a snake for legs and snakes for hair... a.k.a. "Medussa". In clash of the Titans, Perseus chops the head off of a gorgan and uses it's gaze to freeze the Kraken thus saving his city. :B):

I'm curious what the folks at Reaper think of our musings here... "What say you, Reaper peeps?"

The bronze bull was what I was thinking of when I said Gorgon.

According to Greek mythology a Gorgon was a creature with a woman's face, torso, and arms, with the body of a snake for legs and snakes for hair... a.k.a. "Medussa". In clash of the Titans, Perseus chops the head off of a gorgan and uses it's gaze to freeze the Kraken thus saving his city. :B):

I actually didn't know that Gorgon was another name for a medusa type creature. Just did some reading up and I still like the idea of a Medusa type Gorgon solo also!

The Gorgon I was thinking of is from D&D, a big metallic bull pretty much.

Got any ideas on Faction Abilities Mojo?