• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Humansquish

Humansquish

Rauthuros

• Bones Supporter
  • 1899 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:41 PM

I received a Wonderful package in the mail today and I would like to share the assembly and painting of this awesome monster. And yes Bryan, now that I have my own I will stop pestering you by asking if I can use yours.

I don't know if you can tell in my crappy pictures or not but they really beefed up the packaging for these big models. See the double Reaper name at the bottom? The larger one is back, and the smaller one goes on top with the flat part of the blister glued between them. I had a slightly harder time getting into it than a regular blister. I think this is a big improvement for the heavy models.

Once I got inside there are thirteen pieces including the base. Head, body, legs, four wing sections, two swords with hands, two tail sections, punch dagger sprue, and base.

On initial inspection it doesn't look like any area will require pinning, but we will see once I start building him which will be tomorrow.

rauthwip1.jpg

rauthwip2.jpg

"The battle between Minis I Want and Money That Needs Not To Be Spent is eternal, and wearies the soul."--Nanite

"you don't buy miniatures to paint, rather you buy miniatures to daydream about painting and that you like to daydream a lot!" Ed Pugh

#2 Legion

Legion

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:59 PM

you've got your work cut out brother. Cant' wait to see the finished product.

:devil:
I am Legion, and we are many.
Knowledge is Power,
Power Corrupts,
Study Hard,
Be
EVIL!!!

You can see all my work here:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Legion

#3 PurityThruFire

PurityThruFire

Full Metal Samurai

• Members
  • 1208 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 10:44 PM

Eh...pin it anway...it looks heavy...yeah, just pin it, it look seasy enough to pin and it will save you heartache down the road.
I pin everything regardless...I've seen people drop whole armies, not a pretty site (the army and the person who just dropped it).

Great mini btw, looking forward to seing this one take shape.

The last head falls to the ground, no one is left alive.
They thought that they could take me down but it's not my time to die.
-Amon Amarth "Where Silent Gods Stand Guard"

#4 Versutus Vulpes

Versutus Vulpes

Godlike

• Members
  • 1735 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:08 AM

Must resist...

Must not buy... GAAAAH!!!!

This looks awesome - and I am really looking forward to this WIP.

How well does it fit in terms of greenstuffing? are the joints pretty tight?
It's not enough to bash in heads - you've got to bash in minds... ~ Captain Hammer ~

#5 fieldarchy

fieldarchy

Goddess of Pastels and Nekkid Chicks

• Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:14 AM

Have fun! I hope you have lots of putty to fill gaps ::): He is quite the project.
Michael Genet: *chuckle* I guess you can. I've never heard anyone say that before, "I can be my own whore".
Me: No, I said, "I can toot my own horn"

Arcane Paintworks Blog
Arcane Paintworks Fan Page

#6 ReaperShaun

ReaperShaun

Formerly PreFUNk

• Members
  • 1000 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:11 PM

Bryan and I said prayers to dark gods and sacrificed lesser minions while packaging him on the wheel of pain. :grr:
BL KS005 "Drybrushing is fine". - Anne F.

#7 wyrmgear

wyrmgear

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:13 PM

Holy smokes thems a lot o pieces! Looks like to be a fun one. I shall stay tuned to this space...

Uhm... how do I find this guy at the Asylum? I have done searched on his name and on the number 14417 (from Reapervision), checked all the Darkspawn stuff but I cannot find him (I wanna see if I can buy them punch daggers seperately...)
He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else. ~Benjamin Franklin

The person who really wants to do something finds a way; the other person finds an excuse. ~Author Unknown

#8 Rastl

Rastl

Goddess of Shiny Things

• Bones Supporter
  • 2491 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:26 PM

Pin. Pin everything.

I learned the hard way to just take the time and pin it while doing the assembly. Not on this one specifically but in general.

I'll be keeping an eye on your progress!
Consistency and dedication are the hallmarks of -- oo! Shiny!
Nobody likes stompy mechenbooty. - Krztoff
Indulge me and visit my blog: RastlWorld
p.s. LOOK! I was the ANTI-RASTL! Only 20 words! - Anne
28mm troops with a difference .. or two. RastlWorldMinis

#9 Humansquish

Humansquish

Rauthuros

• Bones Supporter
  • 1899 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:17 PM

Well if you read off topic you will see I just bought a house. I was there cleaning all day after work to get it ready to paint on the weekend. So I didn't get much done on him like I thought I would.

His tail hangs down lower than his feet when assembled so you will want something for him to stand on. I went with cork. If you really wanted to though you could just build him and stick him on the base, he will just be leaning forward a little.

rauthwip3.jpg

Must resist...

Must not buy... GAAAAH!!!!

This looks awesome - and I am really looking forward to this WIP.

How well does it fit in terms of greenstuffing? are the joints pretty tight?

Some of the gaps look tight, some will need greenstuff. I will document this as I go along.

Holy smokes thems a lot o pieces! Looks like to be a fun one. I shall stay tuned to this space...

Uhm... how do I find this guy at the Asylum? I have done searched on his name and on the number 14417 (from Reapervision), checked all the Darkspawn stuff but I cannot find him (I wanna see if I can buy them punch daggers seperately...)

You won't find him in the Asylum. :devil: At least not until the 1st when he is released. :ph34r:

And I do intend to pin him. I was just saying you probably wouldn't have to for those who can't or don't want to pin.

"The battle between Minis I Want and Money That Needs Not To Be Spent is eternal, and wearies the soul."--Nanite

"you don't buy miniatures to paint, rather you buy miniatures to daydream about painting and that you like to daydream a lot!" Ed Pugh

#10 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12612 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:16 PM

Squish

sounds like that is the same blister Cadratha or whatever the demon-spider came in (backing was a bit thicker, looked like 2 together, etc), hope so as that is nice blister for the heavy figures.

can't wait to see what you do with guy.

RM
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#11 ReaperShaun

ReaperShaun

Formerly PreFUNk

• Members
  • 1000 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:10 PM

regarding the packaging, many of reaper's heavy miniatures come in this sort of "fold over" blister cards. I think it all started back when the hill giant would fall out of the blister on retailer shelves. The fold over card was the answer.
BL KS005 "Drybrushing is fine". - Anne F.

#12 tanker22

tanker22

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

This guy looks entertaining to do. Suppose this is what we used to call a leadership challenge in the service.

Can't wait to see this one worked up.
"Wars are not won by the most competent army, they are won by the least incompetent army." -Ralph Peters, Red Army

<a href="http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Tanker" target="_blank">http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Tanker</a>

Ebay Auctions

#13 Humansquish

Humansquish

Rauthuros

• Bones Supporter
  • 1899 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:00 PM

Got a little assembly done today.

Since the cork isn't all that stable I made a pin that will go through the cork and into the base.
rauthwip4.jpg
I then glued the legs to the base. And then kicked myself for not pinning the first part of the tail on first since there is no way to do it with it on the base. The connections for the tail all look tight. Maybe a little sanding with a file to flush them up. The body to the legs has a little bit of gappage though.
rauthwip5.jpg
rauthwip6.jpg
rauthwip7.jpg

The weekend looks to be busy so I probably won't have anything until Sunday.

Edited by Humansquish, 27 September 2007 - 10:01 PM.

#14 Legion

Legion

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:34 PM

Looks like your making some headway. Too bad your gonna have to give up painting this weekend to...paint? :blink:

Enjoy the new digs, just make sure you commandeer a room for your "work". ::P:

:devil:
I am Legion, and we are many.
Knowledge is Power,
Power Corrupts,
Study Hard,
Be
EVIL!!!

You can see all my work here:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Legion

#15 Humansquish

Humansquish

Rauthuros

• Bones Supporter
  • 1899 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:41 PM

Got him mostly assembled. I'm going to leave the wings off until I get all his gaps puttied up. My only problem with mold lines was on the punch daggers. The problem was the small connection on the wrist blade thingy on the one side. It kept trying to bend if I held it wrong.

I won't have internet connection at my new house for at least a month or two, so any updates I do will be from my parents house on a weekend, but I'll try to keep up to date.

rauthwip8.jpg

The worst gap was on the back of the wing hinge.
rauthwip9.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users