Sign in to follow this  
haldir

anyone got 500 just laying around somewhere?? :)

I just got my lego catalog in the mail this past week. :)

I was drooling over that as well. It is rather spendy, one can get a really big huge Falcon model to put together for significantly less.

But still... :)

I've been drooling over the Star Destroyer and Death Star II at $299 each for years, and then they went and added the Falcon. <sigh> I want them all.

I just can't justify spending a couple hundred or more on LEGOs to myself. Despite the fact that I probably spend at least that yearly on sets for my son and myself.

LEGOs are an addiction like our pewter is.

LEGOs are an addiction like our pewter is.

I just finished placing my order for the Catwoman motorcycle/Bat dragster so I now have the complete Batman set since I just realized it is not longer available through Lego, so I needed to get it before it disappeared. :lol:

I honestly think that my son has enough bricks to add on to the house with... at least 2 complete rooms... and I already got shown this one at least 2 times...

That's cool but there is a part of me that is getting tired of overpriced toys clearly marketed towards adult geeks. Of course sports fan memorabilia is even worse.

True enough IW - but at least with the LEGOs, once you tire of it, your 8 year old can tear it apart to make something else. And then, later, if you can find all the pieces again, you can rebuild it, should you so desire.

LEGOs have become their own hobby - one that focuses more on the creativity aspect, rather than the collecting aspect other toys **cough** action figures **cough** have taken on. Take a look online for the sheer number of LEGO fan sites, and these days most major cities have LEGO modeling clubs.

Overall, I think LEGOs have transcended mere toy status, and instead have joined the level of hobby, like our painting of little pewter guys and pushing them around a table top.

I think the saddest point will be the number of these that people will buy, and then just leave in the box, pristine, in their basement or attic in the hopes that 200 years from now it will be considered a collectible.

True enough IW - but at least with the LEGOs, once you tire of it, your 8 year old can tear it apart to make something else. And then, later, if you can find all the pieces again, you can rebuild it, should you so desire.

LEGOs have become their own hobby - one that focuses more on the creativity aspect, rather than the collecting aspect other toys **cough** action figures **cough** have taken on. Take a look online for the sheer number of LEGO fan sites, and these days most major cities have LEGO modeling clubs.

Overall, I think LEGOs have transcended mere toy status, and instead have joined the level of hobby, like our painting of little pewter guys and pushing them around a table top.

Yeah but there has always been limmits to my personal figmentia. I never purchased things like Thunderhawk Gunships or the many "Gynormo the Dragon" boxed sets either although I've certainly spent pleanty on minis over time. There's just a personal limit to what I'm willing to spend at one time on my hobby. I'd certainly never purchase anything I felt was too expensive to game with.

I understand that, I'm the same way. Just want to point out that LEGOs are more than just the model you buy - the large kits are no more pricey than just buying the equivilent number of pieces in bulk.

I understand that, I'm the same way. Just want to point out that LEGOs are more than just the model you buy - the large kits are no more pricey than just buying the equivilent number of pieces in bulk.

But unfortunately many of the kits now, the pieces are becoming so specialized you have to start being super creative to use them outside of the instructions. The days of the basic brick are so long past.

I remember when the window frame and shutters were a wild and crazy piece :lol:

For the big sets, like the Falcon, the Star Destroyer and the Eiffel Tower and the hobbyist sets, like the Hotel and Townhome, they aren't using a lot of those specialized pieces, or they're using them in creative ways. I used to think that they were getting too specialized too, but now that I've started building with my son again, the only pieces I'm not finding a lot of uses for are the boat hulls and the airplane sets.

The themed sets, like Bionicle, Batman, Sponge Bob, Star Wars, etc seem to have more specialzed pieces, but the core city sets are still pretty basic. There are the occasional themed sets I want for specific pieces, but that's because they inspire modeling ideas. I'm really eyeing that Batman Tank - it's screaming "Space Marine Land Raider" to me!

I feel ya Iron... but let me try to have ya see it the other way.

When we were kids and buying the Commodore 64 games ... or Atari's and asking the parents for the new Cobra HISS tank, it was pricey to us. OMG 30 BUCKS for that game?? Ill never mow enough yards, or do enough chores etc. 30 dollars was out of the range, as it were.

Now we are older and we can drop, usually, 30 on something fairly easily. But we are guys that like toys... so we need the BIG TOYS!! So if you scale it up.. we are 30ish it been a few years and now that 30 dollar must have is a 500-1000$ must have. Of course they are just as useless, but why do they make us feel soo damn good!

If it feels good... do it! You can't take them with you... and that includes the debt! Right?

LW

I think the saddest point will be the number of these that people will buy, and then just leave in the box, pristine, in their basement or attic in the hopes that 200 years from now it will be considered a collectible.

sad thing is a few years ago like 10 perhaps, I wasn't a collector per se, but I did like to keep stuff in it's packaging due to I liked the look of it inside the packaging, but after the birth of my kids & seeing how they love the stuff they have, I got over that quickly.

I have a bunch of Star Wars stuff I got when the SE versions of the movies came out, I mainly got them cause they reminded me of my childhood & I was having fun buying them. Now I can't get rid of things on ebay (not worth it), I got rid of a few of them last year during the Toys for Tots campaign, but decided this year, the rest are heading for there as soon as they start advertising again, don't care about them, all they're doing now is just taking up space & maybe give a kid a toy for Christmas this year.

Right about the only collectible thing I buy are Cars diecast for my son, who loves the movie (heck he is as bad as I am with Reaper minis, ha ha) but it just gets frustrating to have to fight the collectors for those, as they a)are hard to find b)collectors go after them c) ebayers thinkin they'll get rich on them. My daughter collects Bella Sera cards but those have mostly been pack purchases, no single purchases & such, but nothing like what we have to go through for Cars stuff.

I use to play with Lego when I was a kid, so seeing something like this is a throwback for me, thou I think the most my mom spent was for the old castle sets (ran about 40 dollars if I recall) & that was for Christmas.