Sign in to follow this  
nadinbrzezinski

Dark heaven apocalypse

So I've seen here and there mentions of Dark Heaven Apocalypse, the fantasy battels game Reaper put out a while back.  I have the box set, but I've never played it.

How does it play?  What are people's imperssions of its strengths and weaknesses?

Same here, though Mordheim is the game for me.

From the DHA rules, it looks like you just get your biggest hero possible, lots of swarmers with spears, and rush across the table at each other, with no real tactics.  I dunno though.

Don't know anything much about DHA really, I've never seen it. I have been thinking about picking it up, but I've only got about 20 Highlanders painted so far. I'll probably get more serious about finding a game system to use them with when I have more like 50 or so painted.

Chris

I only know one place to get it but they never supported it much.  I keep thinking I'm going to get it but I don't think they even produce it any longer.  I wish they had made the basic rules downloadable like they did with CAV.  You could build some nice armies with Reaper but generic game systems are always incompleat and who knows if DHA is still arround.  I hope they do a better job with Warlord.

I'd like to see a gauze cannon sometime.  You fire, and a roll of cloth unrolls out at the target and goes  fwip-fwip-fwip in the target's face.

As for the new game, I gather it'll use the same damage-track system that CAV uses, though how they're going to implement it, I don't know.

My group has played about ten games of DHA, and here are my findings:

1.The system is amazingly complete. A few "point buying" notes were made avaiable on a fansite (I'll have to find the address), but otherwise, it's all in there.

2.It is simple to learn.You keep wondering, "What am I missing?" because all you need are the player sheets, the two-sided chart, and copies of the spell lists. Most games now, we don't even need to refer to paper.

3.Strategy is subtle. Very "zen" at times. Big heroes can beat anything. Powerful mages can destroy the mightiest warriors. A kobold with a bow and a lucky shot, and a failed save throw, can bring down the wizard. You have to cover all the bases. Nothing is untouchable. Nothing is worthless.

4.Rating your own characters is the hardest part of the game, until you've done it several times.

5. The games move at a frighteningly fast pace. Damage is quick and severe. Plan to play several 1500 point army games in a single evening, unless you have mure than four players at a time.

6. Small skirmishes work alright, but 50-100 figures on a side is much better. The small actions are good for teaching mechanics, but can be resolved too quickly.

7.Always "buy" a back-up magic user. They are your real "heavy artillery".

8.Always go after the other guys magic user.

We love this system. I have also played Chainmail{original and new),Warhammer, D&D, lots of historical miniatures, and design my own rules for miniatures. This is one of the most playable I have ever encountered. If "Warlord" improves on it, we are in for a treat indeed. :laugh:

Very interesting, I never really realized there was that much depth.  I found that I got lost in the details when I was reading through it, so maybe that's not surprising.

On another note, does anyone know of an army builder file for DHA?  I've seen a bunch of rumors, but nothing substantiated.

I'd dispute the idea that generic systems are always incomplete. I've played one in particular that's amazingly good- altho it's scifi....

Well then I've not seen that one and I'm looking for a Fantasy game any way.

8.Always go after the other guys magic user

Ya, the magic users blow up when killed. Haven't played it but skimmed through the rules. My group isn't much for large scale battle scenarios. GOt the box set for the free minis inside and the info on the world. Thought it would be a "good" romping ground. No one in my group has the game, so they know nothing about the people, countries etc. Good place to keep the "on thier toes". That's why I would like to see more "history" and game info come out on the Reaper world.

Lady Tam