Sign in to follow this  
nadinbrzezinski

Dark heaven apocalypse

8.Always go after the other guys magic user

Ya, the magic users blow up when killed. Haven't played it but skimmed through the rules. My group isn't much for large scale battle scenarios. GOt the box set for the free minis inside and the info on the world. Thought it would be a "good" romping ground. No one in my group has the game, so they know nothing about the people, countries etc. Good place to keep the "on thier toes". That's why I would like to see more "history" and game info come out on the Reaper world.

Lady Tam

Is the Dark Heaven game still available, or is Reaper canning it in favour of this Warlord game?  I fear I live in the RPG deadlands, so this kind of stuff never makes it to the local shelves.  I did get a copy of Casketworks last year or so, and was mucho impressed with it and the smattering of "world" stuff in there.

I'd agree, and urge Reaper to develop more!  The old school "world builders association" is getting a bit dry IMO - time for the Apocolyopse IMO!

Back before Reaper changed their website, I printed out a blurb they had about the various terrain (major topographical features) found on Adon.  This was under their DHA game listing.  It provides a little bit of background in it but I also like to see something published about the world, countries, races, politics, history, etc.  It really has the potential for a good world to do roleplaying in.

I believe that the DHA game is officially canned, though the Dark Heaven line is alive and well.  Warlord Skirmish is intended to replace the DHA game.

This is all based on information from Origins.

Back before Reaper changed their website, I printed out a blurb they had about the various terrain (major topographical features) found on Adon. †This was under their DHA game listing. †It provides a little bit of background in it but I also like to see something published about the world, countries, races, politics, history, etc. †It really has the potential for a good world to do roleplaying in.

Hey, that RPG bit sounds like something coming out next ye...

[WRITER CENSORED BY EDITOR'S GOON SQUAD]

--Robert E. Allen III

Reaper Miniatures

My gang played two more games of DHA this week. Spike, the DM Who Will Not Be Named, and I broke in Aegrist13.

We started with a 2000 point game of elves versus a mix of trolls bugbears and gnolls, with a small black dragon thrown in for bad measure. Despite the point balance, the game was a walk for the evil humanoids. The speed of the small monster class can be overwhelming unless you are prepared for it.

The second game was a three way brawl between the O'Mannon's. the McAndrew's and the Rowan's. 16 Highlanders per faction (Three heroes, one magic user, two cavalry, each). Aegrist13 and the DMWWNBNamed closed early and bloodily. Both clan factions were looking at early advancement to chieftain after two turns. Spike brought her McAndrew lads up through tough terrain until finding a vantage point from which she could have her magic user rain fireballs into the melee between her rivals. Before they could patch things up and assault her, she had finished off most of them. The two games took about ninety minutes, even with a brand new player.

If the forces are very balanced (mirror images almost) five or six figures on a side can be an interesting lunch break. Once you start to vary your forces, twenty or so each seems good and managible. Watch out for overloading a "factor" even if points are close. By this I mean that 500 points of monsters is not equal to 500 points of light armored human swordsmen. The monsters will probably massacre them. Four or five 300 point heroes/mages can probably re-create the final battle from the Wild Bunch" with 3000 points of orcs or skeletons.

the weakness of every point system...

it can't possibly be truly balanced, since everyone wants to have a good exploit. So, over time, the exploits come into being to meet demand, and the point system loses meaning...

sigh.

makes me wonder why anyone plays point-system games.

I know Stargrunt II doesn't use a points system.  I also know of a grand total of two people who play them.  I think people use points systems because they're too lazy to haggle over what's a better force than whose, and what kind of scenario would make for a good game, etc.  I don't necessarily think that's bad, either.

Points systems: eg: Starslayer is hard to break, WH40K is inherently broken. Different design goals, you see? One is a gamer-math-geek's ( but a nice guy) never-likely-to-break-a-profit Gaming Opus. The other is built to showcase cool miniatures- which is fun in itself, BUT- balance is only relevant in that if it was too blatantly, stupidly unbalanced people might actually stop complaining about it and learn a new system.

I think many games out there fall into 1 of three categories: 1. points balance is secondary to enjoyment of official miniatures. 2. points cost was never statistical, it was "eyeballed", or the statistical assumptions were wrong. 3. points system is sound, but even a 99% perfect game can get bent well out of shape in the right circumstances.