Sign in to follow this  
rgtriplec

Box set ideas

Since the boxed armies are gone and the majority of soldier models are now available in nine packs...

If Reaper were to start making 750 point army sets what would you like each to contain?

Here are a few ideas I had for a few of the armies I own.

Dwarfs

King

9 Warriors

Ivar

Bear Rider

Lesser Elemental

Elves

Prince

9 Longthorns

Caerwynn

Lysette

Mossbeard

Bull Orks

Varaugh

9 Hunters

Ombur

Yagun Oog

Nhoolyan

Hanged

Boris

9 Pirates

Ado Salint

Jos Gebblar

Theda

Dendris

Those are interesting lists. I would also like to see the new starter army boxes contain a mix of troops, not just warriors. Something along the line of four warriors, two spearmen, and three archers. This could introduce the new players into the variety of the game and help them decide how they want to build their army. I also don't know if those big solos would be a good idea. The idea of the starter is a good base army to build on at a reasonable price. Some of those solos would add quite a bit to the cost of the starter sets.

Castlebuilder

When we do start making army boxed sets again, we'll be looking at a $40 price point again, so about 9 models total.

With that in mind, what would you like to see?

In a 750 point army made up of approximately 9 models you'll need to use a Warlord model, max out on elites and some of the expensive adepts or ranged troops for soldiers. Otherwise you'll get too much of the army tied up in upgrades (IMO).

Overlords

Ashkrypt (146 points $6.99)

Rogran (77 points $4.49)

Ymrilix (74 points $5.99)

6 Onyx Phalanx (306 point ca. $30 - this is based on the cost of the army blister, not the individual minis)

Totals 603 points and savings of about $7.5 if you buy the box (15% discount).

And you still need to add 147 points of spells and equipment to get it up to 750 points.

Composition analysis:

Leaders 19%

Elites 20%

Soldiers 41%

upgrades 20%

I've tried to keep the upgrades down by choosing the most expensive warlord, the most expensive adepts (on standard bases) and two expensive elites (the max number allowed in a troop with 9 models total).

Edited by vejlin

When we do start making army boxed sets again, we'll be looking at a $40 price point again, so about 9 models total.

With that in mind, what would you like to see?

I'd like WL to be an easy-to-start-playing game again, and then easy-to-develop-your-army game ::):

I'm with Castlebuilder on mix of troops in starter sets. I believe I suggested it long time ago here on Reaper forums.

It would allow players to try different tactics at once, test both melee and shooting models, help them to decide what to buy next.

I'd also love to see a solo model in starter boxes (like Lurgh in the old Reven set). This would give players a 2nd unit immediately. Moreover it would show new players 2 important issues from WL rules: different type of units (multi-model vs solo), and use of card deck.

If you aim at 9 models per box (more or less), I'd suggest warlord, mage/cleric, 2 warriors, 2 archers/crossbowmen, 2 adepts, 1 solo.

And then I'd absolutely love to see 3-mini blisters again... ok, maximum of 6 minis per blister. Reaper is not as strong on gaming market as GW or PP to allow themselves to force players to buy so many minis at once. Give us smaller blisters again, allow to develop our warbands in small steps. Don't want to hi-jack the thread, so I ask everyone to not reply to this paragraph of my post. Just wanted to express my opinion.

Just wanted to add that the starter box sets would likely not include a Warlord, and would probably be in the 500 point range instead of the 750 range.

I'm torn on whether or not they should include spellcasters. As a true starter set, it might be easiest to leave out that mechanic for someone just getting started. What do ya'll think?

9 models and 500 points sounds like a better idea than 9 models and 750 points.

Ideally I'd like to see both ranged and close combat troops, two troops (1 of which is probably a solo) would probably be a good idea too.

I was thinking of things from a packaging perspective... giving each box a blister of soldiers, a warlord... the only model capable of leading 9+ and a spell caster. Simple packaging... three blisters.

Any other way would require special packaging or give all the same sculpt for the grunts and adepts, which would be very unpopular.

But if 9 is the limit and two troops and range and magic are wanted, here are a few ideas.

Dwarfs 559

Fulumbar

Gwyddis

3 Maidens

3 Halberds

Snorri

Elves 556

Arnise

3 Deathseekers

Dryad

Larnarch

3 Archers

Necropolis 577

Azraphan

Naomi

3 Knights

3 Wraiths

Kaena

Reven (10) 550

Kiakara

4 Skeeter

3 Ogres

Yagun Oog

Lurgh

Reven - Bull Orks 580

Uru

2 Hunters

2 Archers

Narg

2 Bersekers

Ombur

Reven - Goblin (12) 555

Gronkelfibbits and Mazak

Gonda

3 Harpies

Neek

3 Beast Riders

3 Skeeters

Sinhan 570 (10)

Gundor

2 merc x-bows

2 Minotaur

Haranobu

Tallis

3 okuran

Hanged 556

Boris

3 dark Dwarfs

Ado

Rod Blackreef

2 Blackreef Pirate

Jos Grebbler

Sisters 567

Calindra

Lorielle

3 Blade Sisters

Kasandra

2 Shadow sisters

Olivia

Crusaders 542

Lord Ironraven

Macus Gideon

2 Templar Ironspines

Duke Gerard

Valandil

3 Justicars

Darkspawn 549

Ashakia

Jhorxia

3 Incubus Warrior

Keradaan

Audine

2 Isiri Archers

Nefsokar 574

Nakhti

Fatima

3 Tomb Guard

3 Herdsman

Khathan

Overlords 579

Ashkrypt

Balthon

4 Onyx Phalanx

2 Overlord X-bows

Selthak

Razig 561

Captain

Clarissa

3 Chaingang

Black Knife Tom

Soul Cannon

2 Harpooners

Reptus 588

Po Wi Set

2 Clutchling Javeliners

2 Brood

Ssathuss

Nai Khanon

2 Longstrikers

Lupines (7) 578

Captain

Corm

5 Ragers

Just wanted to add that the starter box sets would likely not include a Warlord, and would probably be in the 500 point range instead of the 750 range.

I'm torn on whether or not they should include spellcasters. As a true starter set, it might be easiest to leave out that mechanic for someone just getting started. What do ya'll think?

I don't think Warlords should be excluded, but they don't have to be required.

I think having a cleric or mage is important as many new players want that mechanic right off the bat.

It just so happens that I made 500 pts lists for all the armies in the Beginner's Guide for warlordgamer.com. I wanted to make lists that allowed at least 2 initiative, magic and ranged (my main focus was to give examples of startup cost/model count of some simple lists). The only list I failed on was Elves, though it's still a WIP so I'll go back and redo that one. Maybe these will help here...though the lists geared more towards the $50-60 price range.

I'm sure this gets brought up so much, but it truly would be great to get starter boxes out again. It would get more people inspired to just "jump" right in the game and I would absolutely love to write in the guide: "for an easy start, just buy a box!".

Crusaders 499 pts (9 Models)

Sir Broderick

Justicars x3

Valandil, with 2 Ice Shards & 1 Fireball

Sir Conlan, with 2 Cure1

Templar Knights x 3

Darkspawn 500 pts (12 Models)

Vysa

Broken Fodder x5

Ashakia, with 4 Bolt & 1 Ice Blast

Demon Imps x3

Nasith

Soultender

Dwarves 500 pts (9 Models)

Gargram Heavyhand

Dwarven Warriors x2

Dwarven Halberdier x2

Freya

Ivar Silverfist, with 1 Cure1, 1 Blessing & 1 Hold

Dwarven Piercer x2

Elves 493 pts (9 Models)

Selwyn

Vale Archer x2

Vale Swordsman x2

Arnise

Death Seakers x3

Mercanry 492 pts (10 Models)

Grundor Hoardtaker

Dark Dwarf Warrior

Mercenary Axemen x2

Blackreef Pirate x2

Istvan

Leisynn, with 2 Fireball, 1 Ice Shards & 1 Schockwave

Street Thug

Okuran Ronin

Necropolis 495 pts (11 Models)

Eikar

Zombie x2

Skeletal Warrior x3

Lord Kentaur

Malek, with 1 Shell of the Coffin, 1 Rigor Mortis & 1 Poison

Crimson Knight x2

Wraith Harvester

Nefsokar 493 pts (10 Models)

Chosen of Sokar

Khamsin Herdsman x2

Anubis Guard x2

Khamsin Ranger

Ammat

Sokar's Disciple, with 1 Draining Touch, 1 Fear & 2 Stun

Awakened Mummy x2

Overlords 500 pts (12 Models)

Ilks

Overlord Warrior x2

Overlord Crossbowmen x2

Overlord Spearman

Lorena of the Whip, with 2 Cure1 & 2 Divine Vigor

Daughter of the Whip x2

Bondslave x2

Onyx Zephyr

Reptus 499 pts (9 Models)

Audt

Reptus Warrior x2

Reptus Archer x2

Chai Uut

T'kay, with 1 Crimson Embrace & 2 Cure1

Reptus Skull Breakers x2

Reven 500 pts (12 Models)

Narg

Ombur, with 1 Cure1, 1 Aspect of the Hunter & 1 Warcry

Bull Orc Berzerker x2

Bull Orc Fighter

Orc Warrior

Urga

Beastman Woodcutter x2

Goblin Skeeter x2

Orc Spearman

Edit: Typos... excuse any I didn't catch, please.

Edited by chesme

Chesme's lists are a very nice balance and the nice thing with them is that the spells are chosen already to flesh them out. I know that everyone will change these after their first couple games but the idea of the boxed set is to get you playing and understanding the basics so a pre-built force has a loy behind it. 500 points is also a good start point too I think.

Considering most people play at 1000 to 2000 points, I think the box sets should be as beefy as possible. Most people are not going to want to play 500 points very long. I was trying to make lists that could be stretched into 650 or 750 with spells and equipment.

in that case change Warlord to Captain in my proposal ::):

IMHO spellcasters should not be excluded from starter sets. They are important part of the game. As I stated earlier - starter boxes should show possibilities offered by WL.

I agree that spellcasters should be included. I think that ideal basic sets would be ones where the main basic concepts (multiple activations, leaders, melee troops, spell casters, and ranged troops) are included at a reasonable cost.

The basic sets should serve as an introduction and also a core set of minis that could serve as a good foundation to build upon.

Maybe a captain, a spell caster, 2 grunts, 2 archer types, and a solo? Or a captain, a spell caster, 2 grunts, and a sergeant with 3 archers?

I think that around 500 point makes for a good introductory game and force, especially considering that the price point probably should be at $40 or less.

Ron

I would like to see the army starter box leader model be a non-unique Captain with a single non-unique Elite and six or thereabouts of a single troop type, preferrably melee.

One good thing about this would be that the cost would be lower than simply taking the price of a nine-pack and then adding on two extra models.

Secondly, if all the models in the starter set are non-unique non-adept, there would be a higher chance that people would purchase a second or third of the same set.

Third, making a move away from the "750 points" format would make it much easier to build an affordable yet practical starter set for the beefier armies such as reven and dwarves. Let's face it, in order to get 750 points of orcs in a box and bring the cost in under forty bucks, you'd have to pile on a helluva lot of spells or upgrades or some other means that would not add to the amount of pewter in the box.