joshuaslater

Pit Fighter unit

Well Soriel is all well and good, but I think he's lonesome. Maybe the Reptus have their pit fighter too, but I don't recall. In any event, I would like to see Reaper have a go at a unit like this, for the Mercs, or, easily fitting into the fluff, as a unit for the Overlords comin' out of Craclaw and all.

Any of us growing up in the eighties playing D&D were big fans of the Conan movie, and love the scenes of the pit fights in the film. GW has their pit fighters for Mordheim, and the old OOP models of theirs are great for their setting, but I would love to see Reaper take this idea and knock it out of the park for Warlord.

I had suggested this idea before, but now I really would like to see some real oddities: a Bloodstone pit fighter, an Elf or Half-Elf, Orcs, Goblins, Isiri, you name it, all derived from the fluff of Warlord.

I suspect people would simply buy these if they are Reaper quality, for RPG's or maybe, just maybe, Reaper could come up with a pdf for some pitfighting rules using the RAGE mechanic. 'Kinda like Warlord, with a few more options, like stunts, grapples, trips, overruns, nets, etc.

As any new rules could be in a pdf format, and the models could be used in regular Warlord games, we'd make out pretty well on this.

I love the idea of Pit Fighting RAGE rules with associated pit fighters.

The easiest way to do this would probably just be to do it as a set of pit fighting scenario rules for Warlord.

Edited by vejlin

The rules part would be nice for scenarios, using the whole of the Warlord line. I still would like to see some dedicated models for this unit/idea.

NO ONE has sculpted a pit fighter Elf, that I can think of. Dwarves, yes, seen them. Bloodstone Gnome, nope. Some really well done models of different races would rock. Maybe a box set with some head sprues, weapon sprues, all done better than that pit fighter GW Mordheim box, would be great. It would be like having a bunch of multi-track individuals going at each other with some new rules.

I know some people play house rules games where they just load up a few models with magic upgrades and play. This would be easily accomplished by making things like nets an add on, like a magic item for whatever point value. Some models would be able to trip, disable, hamstring, etc. All of this could be done with loadouts!! You could have about a dozen models to a side, and throw some other craziness in there while you're at it.

There's already a couple of pit fighter models in the DHL line. Why not Warlord?

Basically, I would see them continuing to make the different theme models for DHL and then you can proxy them into warlord.

To be added into warlord they would have to add new datacards specifically for them, and that wouldnt necessarily fit into each faction's storyline.

And as far as I know, there are not going to be any changes or additions to the Warlord line until mid 2008.

You seem satisfied with Soriel, there are a lot of models that have a similar feel in the Warlord line. The Dwarf Berserkers and Warlord are similar, Gundor Hordetaker, Arnise and the Deathseekers, Shad Coalshadow, Boris Mingla, the Shadow Sisters, Tellazar, Sir Osric, Chattel, Broken Fodder, Nakhti, Khadath, Misher, Dervishes, Moria, Sethak, Rogran, Bondslaves, most of the Reptus and Reven look like they should be thrown in pit match.

I'm painting on old GW model, the pit fighter that came with the Talisman box, supplement, something? That's the look and feel I'm talking about. Obviously all pit fighters are based off of ancient Rome, to a degree, with minimal armor and specialized weapons. I don't want to see more ancient historical models, but I do want to see Reapers' take on this, filtered through the lens of Taltos.

I agree with you that a lot of the models in the line look they could be thrown in the pits, but I'm talkin' about guys, and GALS, of course, who are trained solely to fight, and die, for the amusement and entertainment of the crowd.

I'm painting an old GW model, the pit fighter that came with the Talisman box, supplement, something? That's the look and feel I'm talking about. Obviously all pit fighters are based off of ancient Rome, to a degree, with minimal armor and specialized weapons. I don't want to see more ancient historical models, but I do want to see Reapers' take on this, filtered through the lens of Taltos.

I agree with you that a lot of the models in the line look they could be thrown in the pits, but I'm talkin' about guys, and GALS, of course, who are trained solely to fight, and die, for the amusement and entertainment of the crowd.

I'm painting an old GW model, the pit fighter that came with the Talisman box, supplement, something? That's the look and feel I'm talking about. Obviously all pit fighters are based off of ancient Rome, to a degree, with minimal armor and specialized weapons. I don't want to see more ancient historical models, but I do want to see Reapers' take on this, filtered through the lens of Taltos.

"Are you not entertained! Are you not entertained! Is this not why you are here!"

I got the GW pitfighter rules and board for Mordheim last year. Very cool stuff.

I would like to see a Warlord version of it. Even something even along the lines of Every Which Way But Loose (Clint Eastwood), Fight Club (Brad Pitt), or Lionheart (Jean-Claude Van Damme) would be cool.

A pit fighter named The Taltos Stallion. "Yo, you wanna piece of this?"

"You're a bum, Stallion. You're a bum."

"I ain't no bum, man. I ain't no bum."

"Then get in there, and show them whatcha got!"

Ding!

Just puttin' the Gladiator and Rocky quotes in the same thread should earn you some sort of prize. I especially like the Mickey bit, bein' from Philly!!!

I'll have to see if I can get the Mordheim pit fighting rules to tide me over. Every model I've hoped for has ended up in the lineup eventually. I wanted Dark Dwarves; boom!! Here comes Thunginar and his boys. I wanted evil gnomes; along come the Bloodstones. I want pit fighters, so I figure it'll be sometime next year.

The sculpting of these are begging for good artists. The sculpts will require good musculature, good armor/weapons,(I hear edges are difficult!) and lots of variety.

Just puttin' the Gladiator and Rocky quotes in the same thread should earn you some sort of prize. I especially like the Mickey bit, bein' from Philly!!!

I'll have to see if I can get the Mordheim pit fighting rules to tide me over. Every model I've hoped for has ended up in the lineup eventually. I wanted Dark Dwarves; boom!! Here comes Thunginar and his boys. I wanted evil gnomes; along come the Bloodstones. I want pit fighters, so I figure it'll be sometime next year.

The sculpting of these are begging for good artists. The sculpts will require good musculature, good armor/weapons,(I hear edges are difficult!) and lots of variety.

Thank ya, Sir. My word ninja skills are paying off. :ph34r: And people laughed at me in therapy for all that writing.

Mordheim Pit Fighter

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/13465

Love the game, don't care for the overly gothic world.

We are very much on the same page. Mordheim is for GW, and their world. I'd like to see pit fighting in Taltos!! With insanely good Reaper sculpts!!!

That's not a bad looking arena in that pic, there. 'Makes me think a hex-based, slightly more complex set of rules would allow for keeping the Warlord bases the same, but giving more detailed options for the fighting. Of course there are enough Warlord models already you could throw in there, but some pros would be cool.

A spinoff set of rules, free download, whatever, with a resin kit, or cardboard and you've got a pit!!

Good times.

Call me a dork, but what about using the castle walls from that Heroscape kit? I don't have the castle one in particular, but from the pictures I've seen of it, it looks cool enough and it's only 14$ (or was).

That could be the pit walls. Just a thought. Or, zip over to Pottery Barn and get an unglazed flat bowl so it has a rougher texture like old style walls. Paint it. Hmmmm. Maybe make a scale ladder that hangs over the lip of the bowl going into the pit/base.

Lord, that's all I need is another project.

I'd be the pot callin' the kettle a dork, man, as my friends down the hall in the mailroom write "Dork Express" on all my miniatures comin' in to my office!!

I love that Heroscape terrain. I bought four boxes of the Thaalenk Tundra for large battles in the well, frozen tundra. I'll have to check out this castle you speak of. As nice as it would be to have a dedicated arena, something modular with more than one use would have its appeal.

I'm trying to figure out what stats off of the Warlord models would be required for scenario rules or just rules. There is no strength rating for opposed tests, or for that matter, agility. It may require a lot of creativity for this!!

I'm trying to figure out what stats off of the Warlord models would be required for scenario rules or just rules. There is no strength rating for opposed tests, or for that matter, agility. It may require a lot of creativity for this!!

I'd pick a couple abilities and do a Data Card Search. I think 360 and Warmaster are the most gladitorial, the fighters would be very mobile, light armoured and fighting blow for blow. Then discard anyone with a DV that is too high. Most if not all of the games berserkers and dervish types would probably work.