Draxtar

Help Warlord

It is getting harder and harder to get in a game of Warlord these days. We need to help somehow to get the game rocking.

What does it take to get a huge following so we can travel from city to city and be able to easily get a game in? I can go anywhere and play 40k. Why not this game? I believe that this is the best skirmish games out there. How can we help Reaper?

Dan

I'm gonna go play at Vista Ridge in Lewisville with Stubbdog tomorrow night. More players being seen with the game is better, right?

I'm gonna go play at Vista Ridge in Lewisville with Stubbdog tomorrow night. More players being seen with the game is better, right?

I would definitally agree. If you play they will come. More games must be played in plain sight at game stores.

Getting people excited about the game is one of the things I try to do as a Black Lightning rep. (See the Reaper homepage for info about joining the BL team).

Basically, every other weekend I (and a friend or three) go down to my local game store and set up a gametable and several small armies to pick from. Teaching the game's basic mechanics to a newbie is very easy to do, and if you start with a matchup of two small (500 pt) armies and without too much magic or special army add-ons to complicate the new player's first experience with the system, a game can be played in under 20 minutes.

But the key is to make it look fun! Set up a spiffy looking table with some interesting scenery...bring out a spiffy painted-up army...be familiar with the rules..and above all be willing to ask a complete stranger, "Wanna learn a quick but fun fantasy game?"

Next thing you know, you have a league forming up and Warlord minis flying off the shelves at your local store.j

BUT..the success or failure of Warlord really hinges on building the player base and hoping the store's willingness to invest more money and shelf-space in the system will follow. Growing a player base for any single system when there are so many game systems out there to steal their attention away is an uphill climb. Good luck making it work for you in your area.

The real problem is right now alot of people are only buying 1 game to participate in. We use to have 10-14 40k players on Saturday and the last 3 weeks there has been 1 game of 4 players. The last time warlord was played a friend played against me with my kids reptus army. We use to play small games every Thursday, but we have not played iin months. I elected to play it at home. I did get 4 more players to commit to the game, but it is so process. It is a great game and far superior to the other mini games. Many 40 k Players have said it is a better game, but have so much invested in 40K they feel as if they play Warlord they severe the bonds of their 40 k groups. The other Mini games such as Hordes, War Machine, Necrumundo are all in the same boat as far as our local store is concerned. We are actually getting more Hero Clix scenario players than the other games combined (5 on 5 Battles) on Mini game night. I still will push warlord to find players, but it is sad when Me and my son play 2400 points apiece games against each other, it is so much more fun with other players different armies and strategy.

The best suggestion I can give, is print off flyers advertising your game night and put it on the store front desk or window. And when you do give demos, grab email addresses and phone numbers and use them. The most important thing is communication.. and even tho they have a vested interest in it, I would say don't expect the store to help out at all in that area. If you want to have people to play against you are gonna have to do the electronic leg work.

I think everyone has experienced slow downs aross the board. Some of it is related to the school year, and fall sports. Spring nd summer are always a bit better. Even tho there is still school and sports, theyare not the same usually - ie. a good majority of people watch or play football compared to the number that do spring baseball and such... The thing is to keep a positive spirit and be prepared for those slow nights so that your night is not "ruined" if others dont show. I have started taking some painting supplies with me such that I can do some army/tble top quality painting on the nights when no shows happen.

If you do have some local players try scheduling a tourney or the like in early to mid January before people go back to school. Might be the best time until summer to catch them. And again make sure you communicate with them via email and messaging, not just hoping they show up at the store...

Macendale is right. The players that are out there are trying to divide up not only their funds but their time as well. Warlord is without a doubt the best fantasy game out there with playability at virtually any point cost. One of the things that can help is being able to set up a given night where you get together and play. Thursday night was the one for us until my daughter started up dance classes on Thursday and pretty much set the stage for where I would be. Sometimes an off night works better than your usual weekend especially if you are starting Warlord out in your area. Also make sure you have a couple small senarios to play out because having a storyline behind your game no matter how small really helps in the draw as well.

Also don't forget the added bonus to tell your players that learning Warlord then gives you the basics for playing CAV too. A lot of people like getting the two for one deal out of that.