• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 fieldarchy

fieldarchy

Goddess of Pastels and Nekkid Chicks

• Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:12 AM

Alright this is the next mini I'm doing for Reaper. I've gotten a good start but I can already see hours being sunk into getting his skin just right.

Tre--yet another fine sculpt! I hope I can do him justice.

So far I've done the basecoat which is 4 drops tanned shadow and three drops intense brown. The first highlight layer I just added 2 more drops of tanned shadow and then the second round of highlights I added 2 drops of pure white.

Picture_179.jpg Picture_180.jpg
Michael Genet: *chuckle* I guess you can. I've never heard anyone say that before, "I can be my own whore".
Me: No, I said, "I can toot my own horn"

Arcane Paintworks Blog
Arcane Paintworks Fan Page

#2 fieldarchy

fieldarchy

• Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:42 AM

more work is done on the flesh. I really need some feedback though. Do you think it is fine as it is now in these photos? Do I need to add more highlights?

Picture_184.jpg Picture_187.jpg
Michael Genet: *chuckle* I guess you can. I've never heard anyone say that before, "I can be my own whore".

Arcane Paintworks Blog

#3 Fruggs

Fruggs

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

My only thought would be to start showing the light source more as right now all his muscles appear to be highlighted to the same highpoint without accent to where the light would be the strongest, at least that is what the photos seem to show. I could be wrong though. Otherwise the skin tone is really nice an smooth.

#4 fieldarchy

fieldarchy

• Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:01 PM

Better?

Picture_190.jpg Picture_193.jpg
Picture_194.jpg

Arcane Paintworks Blog

#5 olliekickflip

olliekickflip

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

Ya Meg, I second Fruggs suggestion. As one of my friends says...."Always obey the light!" You seem to have a fairly continuous skin tone throughout the model. Any area that is in shadow should be darker...if not much darker ie. underside of the arms. I would also suggest popping your highlights on the face which will draw your eye imidiately to it. To really make your model POP, I would also suggest doing 3 points of light. This will be your brightest highlight and in only 3 spots on the model. I would say those three points would be the top of his head, right shoulder and in the center of the axe blade (I'm assuming your going nnm with that).

I like the base as well, is that going to be a little stream going through the middle? If you lay down some really fine dirt in the bed of the stream it will make it look more natural when you pour the resin...as opposed to being flat which usually gives the impression of being deep...which would look strange for a stream. A couple leaves and or very small twigs caught in the rocks would be a nice touch as well. This will give his enviroment a sence of motion...like the world he lives in is truely alive. If you add any tall grass or cotton tails, maybe have them leaning a bit to his right...the opposite direction that he is swinging the axe...this will give an enhanced sence of motion as he is kind of thrusting to his left.

Anyways, thats my .05 cents...have a happy Thanksgiving!

a

#6 fieldarchy

fieldarchy

• Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:18 PM

thanks ollie, I think you posted that before you saw my most current round of highlights. The issue I'm having is there is a good deal of contrast, I'm trying to keep the highlights smooth, continuous without having just a big obvious streak somewhere. I've done several rounds of highlights and glazing. I'm thinkin' he's looking pretty good at the moment though maybe a glaze to smooth out some of the transitions I just painted.

Arcane Paintworks Blog

#7 olliekickflip

olliekickflip

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:59 PM

Nice...I think it is fine for now...I would move on to the rest of the model and when more is done you can revisit the skin and make any minor changes that need to be made. The face is really good now. Very expressive. As for shadows, what I do is 4 or 5 coats of very thin, very diluted paint...in fact I usually add a dark blue to my darkest color (brown in your case). I put the layers on thin and feather the edges to keep it smooth with no visiable lines. This will give you a subtle shade without ruining an already brilliant paintjob.

a

#8 fieldarchy

fieldarchy

• Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:24 PM

Ok the pictures are a little fuzzy but you should be able to see the final highlights I've done. I went back and glazed in some shadows with intense brown and intense brown + blackened brown. Once those dried I did a glaze over the entire area of tanned shadow. Once dry I went back in with tanned highlight + pure white and touched up the highlights.

Picture_196.jpg Picture_199.jpg
Picture_202.jpg

Arcane Paintworks Blog

#9 primeval

primeval

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

Skin looks great to me!

But I have to ask - is that a dead slug under the base?!?!? ::D:

"Barbarism is the natural state of mankind," the borderer said, still staring at the Cimmerian. "Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph." - REH

#10 fieldarchy

fieldarchy

• Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:28 PM

it's galactic silly putty actually ::): I use silly putty to stick my minis to stuff for me to hold on to. Works the best out of everything I've tried.

Arcane Paintworks Blog

#11 Fruggs

Fruggs

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:17 PM

Fieldarchy he is looking good. I like the tone you have for his skin and the transitions look really natural. nice work. Keep it up.

#12 SIGIL

SIGIL

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:36 AM

He is looking fantastic thus far Meg. Great color choice for the skin. I do have one small thing to point out; The axe head had to be twisted out of position casting. It should be pointing directly out in line with the knuckles of his right hand. I would not risk damaging your paintjob to fix it now, but if you think you can get it back into position without messing up the rest of your work I think it would look a bit more natural.......

Here is a pic of the original post production to show the intended orientation of the axe head.....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0351.jpg

#13 olliekickflip

olliekickflip

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:49 AM

Very Very nice Meg. The right arm, head and both hands are pretty much perfect. You really achieved a level of depth that looks very natural! If you can make the left arm look like the right arm as far as your shadow areas go, I think you'll get some bonus points. Especially the area right under the muscle on the shoulder. If you can get that area in particular darker like on the right arm, your golden. It looks very natural though...great job. The face is fantastic!

@ sigil: I take it you sculpted this??? It is a really nice model! I see what you mean about the axe blade...however it actually looks better in the photos, the way Meg accidentally has it. I think it will show off a nice nnm paintjob better that way.

@ Meg: the backside of the axe blade has a mold line. You might want to fix that before hours of paint go on it. I can't wait to see more...keep us posted!

a

#14 fieldarchy

fieldarchy

• Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Tre for the heads up. When I was gluing it together I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing to the pose. However, Ollie does have a point that the angle at which I have it will show off the NMM I'm going to do better. But it is good for everyone else to know the position of the axe as well if they would like to change it when they tackle this mini. Oh and I posted this on Creafigs.com along with Jadeah and you are getting some nice compliments. I told them that people here have been joking that Jadeah and Thelgar are boyfriend/girlfriend and the frenchies want to see a baby to complete the trio ::P: Wouldn't that be funny? A little toddler half orc barbarian with throwing axes?! Maybe a cloth diaper, a little wisp of hair on his head, two cute little fangs, oversized eyes, and some furry boots. hehehe

Ollie which bunch of muscles are you talking about exactly? I've already gone back in with intense brown glaze and intense brown + blackened brown glaze and then one all that was dry glazed him entirely in tanned shadow. That way it didn't look overly obvious I had gone back and glazed in shadows.

And yes, Sigil is Tre Manor. He is one of the most fantabulous sculptors out there! I really love your stuff Tre because it has a very cartoony look to it, the poses are dramatic, the features are exaggerated, and it is so easy to make them look good. Sort of like Werner's stuff. You, Gene and Werner--I love the stuff y'all put out! Very nice!

Ok well I need to finish my coffee and then go pick colors for a jaguar print . . . yes he's going to be wearing animal print somewhere. ::): I'll post more pictures later.

Arcane Paintworks Blog

#15 SIGIL

SIGIL

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:10 PM

Well thank you Meg.

that bit about a half orc baby does sound like fun..... Hmmm....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users