Sign in to follow this  
Catman Jim

Where and how did it all began for you???

In the early '80's I wandered into a store and saw a display of metal dragons, elves, and warriors. †Being a total Tolkien geek, I was hooked. †I purchased a paint kit, a dozen Ral Partha blister packs, and 2 boxed sets of Heritage miniatures to recreate Middle-Earth in lead. †Later, I picked up the D&D red and blue box sets, and the rest is history....

:cool:

Regards,

Vorlon

Woohoo!  Frank has a Mini-Me!

I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into RPing.  My first game was Paranoia, and my first minis game was watching people play Titan Legion/Epic.  There's a solid foundation to build on, yeah.

Oh, lstormhammer, you should meet a friend of mine. Your coproducers would have got along fine with his coproducers.

Anyway, it was kinda this friend and hehehe, some CHURCH friends before that, that got me into RRP'ing and subsequently GW and subsequently strategy/war/tactical gaming. Virtually the entire christian population in my demographic in my little freakin butthole stinking open sewer drug soaked crappy little country town were dangerous roleplayers. The dangerous roleplayers moved the hell out got degrees and c and lived happily ever after. The rest of the friggin little hole stayed and screwed themselves with speed pot and booze and rotted.

Praise God and pass me the dice, brother, my character wants to beat and rob your character and leave him for dead......

I've been into and out of gaming in cycles. †Depending on where I live and the job that I am doing. †But, I have always found gaming (RPG, CCG, miniatures, Board games) fun. †Computer games I like but not as much as interacting with real people.

I started in High School (9th grade) in the 70s. †We had a teacher who started a Games Club with school sanction (didn't make the yearbook but that's OK). †There were 15 or so of us in this club and one of these gamers mentioned a place called Stardock down on Menaul (this was in Albuquerque, NM). † I hopped on my bicycle and rode down to the store. †WOW, they had it all, D&D stuff, hex paper, games from everywhere and on everything and miniatures. †All cramed into a little storefront. †

The owner of Stardock had made a diorama of the Bridge at Khazad Dum. †Big Balrog and little wizard, fear terror and darkness all shown to good advantage in 3D. †I was hooked at that point. †I bought a norse warrior (Vilhelm Onearm, his axe arm kept breaking off) and Melee, part of the Fantasy Trip by Steve Jackson or Metagaming. †I kept going back. †Eventually he sold his stuff to Wargames West on Central. †That place became a Mecca for gamers. †Between miniatures and trying all kinds of RPG related merchandice I rarely had money in my pocket for long. †

We used miniature figures in D&D, but only occasionally, we had a group that travelled from house to apartment to dorm floor meeting on Friday or Saturday nights, that made it rough to ensure a playing surface for miniatures. †My miniatures were mainly for playing Melee and Wizard and because I enjoyed painting them. † †

Then another friend of mine, younger than me and the son of one of my parent's friends saw some of my painted miniatures and wanted to play. †This is where I got into miniature wargames. †We used the Fantasy Annex of the Chainmail rulebook (a Silver covered small book put out by TSR) and the D&D Books that came in the white box for magic spells. †On Sunday Afternoons, twice a month, through the school year our families would get together. †James and I would have a battle on a six by four field with about 150 miniatures per side. †We ignored points rules and morale rules and our battles were typically to the last figure standing. †All very pleasant memories. †I have a special fondness for Badgermen with lances riding giant flightless birds.

That's how it started for me. †I and my friends dropped RPGs for more socially acceptable past times like clubbing, playing pool, hanging out. †We went camping, hiking and fishing more, played games less. †College came and went. †People move, excitement and boredom alternate. †

Returned to gaming again after our last move. †My son and brother in law were in a Games Workshop Store and the store manager coaxed us into a battle. †Travis and I whupped up on some Imperial Marines with wimpy elves. †I bought the basic fifth edition box for WH (Bretonnians and Lizardmen) started painting lizardmen and away we went. †

I was hooked again and it becomes my son's origin story!

:D

I started back in elemetary school by picking up the 1st edition boxed set of D&D at WHSmith bookstore with my allowance.  I later bought the AD&D books and some cool miniatures by Grenadier in yellow boxed sets.  I was reading Tolkien at the time so I painted up some of the halflings and orcs, and a cool Gandalf looking type with some testors enamel.  I later clued in to using acryllics just because the cleanup would obviously be easier, but the minis also started looking much better.

Then in 99 I was walking past a GW and the memories started flooding back, so I bought some minis, some paint, and it's been continuing since.

My first Reapers were the 4 Horsemen, followed by War, Golgoth, and a Grim Reaper.  Then I bought Skar and started a small orc band (these were very in the spirit of tolkien, unlike GW orcs which i never liked).  Then I bought Galladorn and that started the character collection, followed by Nord Kegbreaker and many others.

Thanks to Ron and Reaper for making miniatures that capture all that magic I had as a kid.   :laugh:

Cheers!

I got started wargaming in general as a senior in high school in 1977 and got hooked on LOTR at the same time. †Continued with it into college. In 1979, got in contact with a local gaming club on campus after continuing to read and see D&D in the local scifi book store. †The group was roleplaying using miniatures the day I walked into the room for the first time. †Rolled up my first character and the rest was history.

I got my best friends from high school started by playing Gamma World soon afterword. †Started buying a few scifi and fantasy miniatures and was able to get one of my friends to paint a few. †At the time, I didn't the time or space to paint.

I tried to stay caught up after entering the Navy but never got to play much. †Left the Navy after 11 years, got married, have two small children and still trying to stay up on what is out there.

Happened to enter a hobby store about a year ago and became quite impressed with the reaper minis. †I got hooked and started buying and painting. †My total minis collection is not very big (under 100). †I am very selective in what I like and what I want. †That is why I like the reaper detail and quality. †That is also why I hope they do release scifi roleplaying minis.

When it comes to gaming my best friend (AT the time) Matt got me into gaming. It was him, me, Bobby and sometimes Darin. Because of our "small" numbers we played multiple characters, which I can still comforable do to this day. (In fact I prefer to play two cahracters if I can!) We had a good time.

My co-producers weren't too thrilled either, but really couldn't say much. Older brother was always in trouble, doing drugs and such, and I wasn't getting into trouble. My friends were nice and polite, if a "bit weird" for my mother. (except for Lenny, he was into the "punk" look for awhile and my Dad ran him off one night! Poor guy.) So they didn't have a "leg" to stand on, plus big brother kept thier attention on him. So I was left to my own devices many times. This made me very independent and less likely to ask for help when I need it as I "solve my own probelms" thank you very much! (so lstormhammer I to have a "disfunctional family :) )

Original group feel aprt when we grew up.

As for my mother 1.1, maybe that's why I have so many dogs. Got to take care of somebody! :p

Lady Tam

I was 15 and so depressed I couldn't deal with leaving the house much less school, etc.  I saw my brother and one of his friends painting some minis and thought that looked like fun.  I already had some paint and brushes of my own as I liked to paint white porcelain figurines.  I asked my mom if I could do what Eric (my brother) was doing.  She said sure (I think she was happy I showed an interest in something) and we went and bought an Elf Chariot mini.  I painted it and went to ask Eric what he thought of it.  He looked at it and said "I hate you."  The next day he brought his collection of unpainted minis to me and asked me to paint them for him.

I have been painting off and on ever since.

As for playing, (I mentioned this elsewhere) Eric and his friends wanted a girl to play the female chars in the Dragonlance RPG.  Didn't really play much until I made friends with my now husband.  We have a regular gaming group going.

Hmmmm, once again the heterosexual male mentality puzzles me. They would have no problem playing a non-human male character yet often balk at playing a human female.

Madonna is right in her song "What's It Feel Like For A Girl": It is okay for a girl to look like a boy but not the other way around because for a boy to look like a girl is degrading, because being a girl is degrading.

Oh well, then again, men are not exactly having it any easier than the ladies. They couldn't get on the lifeboats on the Titanic!

I began playing AD&D in '79, just before senior year in high school.  We had seen crude black-and-white photos of minis in Dragon magazine, but had no idea anyone could paint anything that small.

In college, I immediately joined a group that was playing an actual campaign, with interconnected adventures--sometimes outside of dungeons!--and actual character development.  We had a few crudely-painted Grenadier figures, and that was that.  Dice became monsters.

I did my best to paint a few Grenadiers myself, with awkward enamel paints/thinner and a single too-large brush.  It was a step up, and when I began running my own games (early eighties) I made sure to have a figure painted for every PC, and we deployed them mainly to illustrate marching order.  Dice and coins for monsters, sometimes.

After college, nearly no gaming for several years.  In the army, I met some fellow travelers of like mind.  We did some casual gaming with no minis.  In '92-'93 I GMed a regular Rolemaster campaign, and can't for the life of me remember using any minis.

In '95, my wife and I began playing AD&D in the greatest campaign I'd ever experienced, and I eventually painted my best (by far) figures for the pair of us.  We didn't actually use 'em much in the game, but kept them on the table for inspiration.  In later games with the same group, we began to rely on the minis more and more, and everyone had a good-looking one for his or her character.  A woman in the group is really, really good, and I've retained my jester for use in my current game.

We tried a brief stint in '98 in another AD&D game an hour away, but that lasted only a couple of months before we found the drive and late hours too taxing.  I do know that we showed up with the best-looking lead, and that the GM had an actual gaming room with a grid laid out on the tabletop.

Since then, my wife got into gaming online, and for four-and-a-half years has been in the AD&D game she now runs in IRC.  No use for minis, but this past summer I completed a set for the PCs anyway, thinking we might actually get together for a face-to-face session at a con.  No such luck, but I love them, anyway.

For two years I've been running a very mini-driven GURPS game, and have been cranking out the paint jobs regularly.  When I see a cool mini, I think about who it might become in my world, and by the time I paint it, I know who it is.  We just completed the first of the major quests on Saturday night, so I believe I'll post a big group shot of the cast.

Okay, to briefly OT, I am a hetero male and personally like playing female characters. Largely because I like women, yes that's right, I like them a lot, and get much more quickly attached to a character who is female. It raises some issues; I don't really know what it's like to be a woman, so my one hesitancy is that I might grossly mis-portray my character. I might add that I got accused of sexism for creating a character who preferred shopping to violence. ??? Little did they know it was all autobiographical; only the genders had been changed; let's gooooooo.... SHOPPING!

For miniatures.

Not shoes.

I draw a line.  :;):

For me painting minis was something I started when I met my current BF.  I had never seen minis before even though I had been gaming on and off, and he wanted some painted and bought some for me to paint so I would have something to do while he was at work whenever I came up for a visit.  (We live 2060 + miles from each other.)  What he did not plan on was that mini painting quickly became addicting for me and now I'm painting up a bunch for him for Christmas.

Well, at least you realize that there is nothing wrong with thinking about what it's like to be a woman. Those who protest too much often have something to hide. :)

Then again, everything has a price....being a man you have to put up with all sorts of backward attitudes and hangups,and being a woman you have to put up with periods and all sorts of weird things associated with the reproductive system. :(

It's great, in a fantasy game, you just ignore all that nasty reproductive stuff.

I have yet to see a RPG system that actually has rules for the menstrual cycle.

To wrench this back on topic, my second RPG experience, I played a female.  My character got mercilessly hit upon by the other party memebers.  I had no idea how to handle it.