Bingas

Generic Data Cards

First off i apologise if this is an old topic.

Will the generic data cards be re-vamped? Back before RAGE chronicals i was using them to field an orenital army using my old Clanwar models.

With the advent of RAGE Chron there waas no update for these, and whilst nowhere does it say that these cards can't be used now but given the new stats they dont work (heavy cav with 1 track? and 1300 pts for a dragon?)

And in theory it could be used for all of the DHL minis that people would like to see in a game.

The flexability of these generic cards was great, it meant that i could use my entire mini collection in a game that i feel has the best rules system around.

I have and play with several other armies, but i'd love to be able to remake/revisit my asian army.

Any thoughts?

-----------------

Note on clan war models for people who dont know what they are: Clanwar was released by AEG who is now a subsidiary of Reaper, so my gaming group figured that it fit into the Proxy Rules.

No, Generic stats will not be re-vamped. They are a thing of the past.

The good news is that they are, however, unnecessary. ::):

Due to Reaper's extremely flexible Proxy rules (found here: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25000), you can field your Oriental Army by simply finding an existing stat block in the Rage Chronicles that approximates the stats you would have created using generic cards, and simply use the DHL model of your choice for that data card. Even better, this is completely official and tourney legal, so you can show up at ReaperCon/GenCon with your custom army!

I encourage anyone interested in the generic stats to instead search the Rage Chronicles and find the closest stat block to what you wanted to create, and use proxy models.

If you are not registered on Reapergames, I would also strongly encourage you to do so.

I'm surprised Gus missed the chance to show off his data base search engine :poke:

Log on to reapergames and goto Warlord HQ. Once there, on the banner on the left of your window, scroll down to the Help section. Click on Data Card Search.

This will allow you to search through all the most up-to-date Data Cards, based on RAGE Chronicles 2007 by Faction, Model Rank, Alignment, Troop allowances, Ability Scores (MAV/RAV/#MA/DV/etc) and Special Abilities which will allow you to tailor your army to your design.

Just remember if you are going to pick and choose from a multitude of faction's models to review the rules for building a Freelance Army, which is what you would be doing most likely. It's pretty simple. 1 Warlord Model allowed (unless you use Rauthuros or Argyrian as Outriders), and Good and Evil cannot be in the same Army. Using all the Models allowed is the Faction Special Ability for a Freelance force.

So are you saying that if I want to build a bathalian army (for instance) and I like the dwarven shield maidens card for one kind of troop and a darkspawn isiri for another kind of troop, I can combine these using bathalian figures and it's legal? Probably as a mercenary force, I'm guessing?

So are you saying that if I want to build a bathalian army (for instance) and I like the dwarven shield maidens card for one kind of troop and a darkspawn isiri for another kind of troop, I can combine these using bathalian figures and it's legal? Probably as a mercenary force, I'm guessing?

In principle, yes, that would be a Freelance force using proxies. But it's not quite legal.

Dwarven Shieldmaidens are Good.

Isiri are Evil.

Good and Evil cannot be fielded together in the same army.

If you swapped out the Isiri for say, Bull Orcs though, which are Neutral, that would work.

For all Freelance, but also any other Faction builds, these are your options based on alignment alone:

Good

Neutral + Good

Neutral

Neutral + Evil

Evil

Also remember that some factions have a mix of alignments in them already. For examples, both Nefsokar and Reven have some Neutral and Evil models in them. Dwarves have some Neutral and Good in them. Mercenaries have all three alignments. Etc, etc, etc. So make sure you check the Alignment of the Model instead of just relying on the Faction.

This is where the Data Card Search comes in handy.

Mercenaries are their own Faction, with their own Faction Special Abilities. One of which is Change of Heart, which allows you to take one DATA CARD and change its affiliation to Mercenary/Neutral. Just note that Mercs have models with all three alignments in it. Just because they are all Mercs, does not mean you can field say Bladesisters and Darkthrall cultists in the same Army (unless you happen to use CoH on one of them). Again, it's the no Good and Evil thing.

What you are building Anvil, would be a Freelance force.

Edited by Qwyksilver

Another problem with this is that you cannot use the same model for 2 different datacards (Rule #4). So you could not grab 20 of the same bathalian figures and use 10 of them as dwarven shield maidens and 10 as isiri.

What you can do is grab 10 of one bathalian model and 10 of another, and use the first group of 10 as dwarven shield maidens and the 2nd group as, say, bull orcs.

It was in the first printing rulebook, in the back. Can't remember if it was also in 2nd printing.

Those were for Generic models only, which were never legal for anything other than friendly play or as GM's designing scenarios.

The costs for those would also be grossly out of whack with the significant changes to models.

You will probably have to try pretty hard to not find a close approximation for a model you want within the 400+ Data Cards currently available in RC2007, especially once you take into account Equipment upgrades.

This is a real shame. The Generic cards were really useful to gamers. Since they were already written, it would have required such little effort to put an extra page in future publications or to simply change them to resemble the new data card style. The work has already been done, the cards were created, just publishing them is easy and would make alot of gamers happy. Not everyone likes to play codex armies, some people like myself like generic data cards because they allow us to play with all our miniatures or make completely custom armies. For example I have an Angelic warband. Im sure I COULD use crusaders data cards, but its so much easier to simply use the generics.

I could understand Reaper not wanting to make any new data cards or put significant time into them, but it would be so easy and so little effort to just keep the current ones already made in print. It would take probally an hour to make them appear like the new cards.

A real shame, since the generic cards were so unique to Warlord and allowed gamers unlimited options and diversity.

Christof.

Christopher, I am sorry you are disappointed in the loss of the 20 odd Data Cards. Please download RC2007 as was suggested in the other threads you have commented in regarding this. Instead of the 20 generic cards available over a year ago, there are now 387 legal Data Cards that you can choose from. So by losing 20 cards, you've probably gained at least 100 since RC2007 was released.

Christopher, I am sorry you are disappointed in the loss of the 20 odd Data Cards. Please download RC2007 as was suggested in the other threads you have commented in regarding this. Instead of the 20 generic cards available over a year ago, there are now 387 legal Data Cards that you can choose from. So by losing 20 cards, you've probably gained at least 100 since RC2007 was released.

I don't need that many cards. I have a huge collection of models and I like to mix and match. I want the freedom of say using a GW dwarf a a simple troop, or a blood dragon vampire as a warlord. The generic cards allow me to do that. Sometimes more is overwhelming. I like less, its simple and less stressful.

Christof

I don't need that many cards. I have a huge collection of models and I like to mix and match. I want the freedom of say using a GW dwarf a a simple troop, or a blood dragon vampire as a warlord. The generic cards allow me to do that. Sometimes more is overwhelming. I like less, its simple and less stressful.

Since they are not legal in a tournament anyway, why don't you just make up your own "generic" data cards based on all the options in R.A.G.E Chronicles? Make yourself a simple template in Excel or some other software and just populate a data card block from the Chronicle options. Then you could name and title your models and cards what ever you wanted and use the latest rule when you play.

Just a thought.

Christof

So, why not look at the new cards, find one that looks similar to what you want, and just erase name? Generic cards done easy. That's what I've been doing with some of my old Ral Partha pieces. Duke Gerrard was replaced by Drizzt Do'Urden. All I did was change the name, and modify a few SAs.

The nice thing about Warlord is, unless your playing tournament, you can pretty much run with what you please. If you want updated generic cards, make some up. If I have time, I may do so myself. Or, make up specific cards, using the RC2007 as a guide, for other minis like your GW or my RPs.

The point of the game is to have fun. Talk with other players in your area about how they feel about proxies, and have fun with it.