GreyHorde

2008 Wannabe at ReaperCon Painting Contest

Announcing The 2008 Wannabe at ReaperCon Painting Contest

This year it’s streamlined…and there will be prizes! Read on for the details…

Disclaimer

This is not an official Reaper event. No endorsement is implied or stated.

Deadline

12:00 Noon, Reaper Time, on Friday, May 16, 2008. At that time this thread will be locked except for voting.

Definition

WANNABE – part of Wikipedia’s definition is: Pronounced - "Won-ah-bee". Comes from the words "Want to Be" and "Wanna Be". The rest implies an imitator or ‘poser’, so let’s ignore that part, shall we? For our purposes, we define a Wannabe as “A person who wants to be a competitor in one or more ReaperCon Painting Contest events, but cannot or will not do so in 2008.” No insult is expressed or implied.

Purpose

This unofficial non-event :upside:::): is for Wannabes only. Think of it as a way to have a little fun, feel like a (distant) part of the convention action, challenge yourself, push your limits, learn new skills, gain new motivation and who knows? Maybe you'll be ready and able to compete in person next year.

Categories

Warlord - any WL piece whether large, small or unit

Dark Heaven - any DHL piece whether large, small or unit

CAV - any CAV piece whether large, small, infantry or unit

Open (formerly known as Diorama)

For simplicity, there are only four categories with no restrictions on size or number of figures. Generally, a piece will be considered a diorama if the base is significantly larger than commonly used as a standard for the miniature, e.g., a goblin on a 2” base. Also, multiple figures on the same base will be considered a diorama, with the exception of pieces cast to be together, e.g., the Ghoul Queen and her minions together on their normal base would not be considered a diorama, nor would a mounted figure. Multiple figures on their own bases in a display base or movement tray will not be considered a diorama, but will grouped by their type as one entry ('unit').

The Open Category is for any entry not fitting in other categories. Fight scenes, dioramas, big boxed dragons like T'Raukzul, dinosaurs, complete box sets of multiple figures, Holiday editions, 54 and 72mm models, etc., are all included in this category. Any type of basing is allowed. If you have any questions, PM me (GreyHorde) and we’ll work it out.

Enter one or more categories, as many times as you like. Each piece may only be entered in one category. Example: A diorama of Warlord minis is still a diorama, and will not be considered a Warlord entry. You will state at the time of entry which category your entry belongs to, or it will be placed for you based on the ID /stock number of the primary model by Figure Finder and/or Asylum Online Store.

All entries – ALL final entries -- must be posted in this thread for consideration and voting. WIP, Show Off and other areas will not qualify.

Rules

1. You paint it, you enter it.

2. New works only, please. If it has been completed and posted in Show Off or on other common hosting/voting sites, please do not submit it to this contest. We’d like to start with a level playing field, since prizes will be offered.

3. Reaper Miniatures only. Other scenery or basing pieces are okay, but the primary focus of the piece must be easily identifiable as Reaper.

4. Conversions are allowed, but all models must be easily identifiable as Reaper.

5. No vote padding, mod pestering, etc.

6. Standard forum rules apply to picture sizes and content; adult-themed miniatures photos must be linked with a warning, not posted directly in this thread; no ‘photoshopping’, etc.

7. This contest is for Wannabes only – sorry, RC attendees. You go to the con and have fun in 2008, then watch out for the rest of us next year!

Voting

Voting will be conducted by online/forum poll. Specifically, after the entry deadline has passed, this thread will be locked. Entries will be identified and the polls will open. There may be a delay before the actual start of the voting, depending on several factors, but the delay should be minor.

Any Reaper Forum member may vote. Each voter will pick one entry in each category, plus a single vote from all entries for Best of Show. The top vote getter for each category wins the category. Voting will remain open for one (1) week, until 12:00 Noon (Reaper Time) on Friday, May 24. This should give everyone time to get back from ReaperCon and cast their votes, while avoiding the holiday weekend.

Prizes

New for 2008! Thanks to a generous offer from Cutebutpsycho, the Best in Show winner will receive one Limited Edition 2008 ReaperCon Sophie! All other category winners will also receive prizes, but the details will remain a secret…for now. [/tease] Due to the limitations of an unsponsored, unofficial, non-event, no prizes will be given for 2rd or 3rd place. Only 1st place in each category will receive a prize, and the one Best in Show.

Other Notes: WIP photos are okay, in the WIP forum. Most contests do not allow WIP pics, and you wouldn’t want to tip your hand, anyway. This is not an official or endorsed contest, so feel free to get community involvement and feedback on your project. If you want help and advice, post away. If you want to make a tutorial on competitive painting, go for it. Help each other out, challenge each other to push their limits, keep it friendly and above all, have fun!

So, PM me or post here with questions. Ready? GO!

OOh! I am definitely in on this! Now, where are those paints and models....oh yeah..at home...where I am not...hmmmmm......will have to start tomorrow instead!

I will try and get into this one. I have to look at the calendar to see how much time I have.

I would suggest a clear "end" date and time should be defined. This sometimes can be overlooked until it's too late. This would also reduce the risk of hard feelings as well.

My 2 bits.

I will try and get into this one. I have to look at the calendar to see how much time I have.

I would suggest a clear "end" date and time should be defined. This sometimes can be overlooked until it's too late. This would also reduce the risk of hard feelings as well.

My 2 bits.

Agreed. I'm working on it and hope to address it later today.

I am so in for this. I was just sitting here being bummed out that there was no way i would be making it to reapercon this year or any year soon for that matter. 20+ hours away here. ::(: But hey at least i get to compete now! woo-hoo. ::D:

For ending I would say the around 4 or 5 central time on the 17th of May. About when the judging of the Reapercon contest will be done.

And unless the tax return is crazy big I won't be going to Reapercon this year so I will probably be participating here.

Edited by Humansquish

Good suggestion, humansquish. It worked out pretty close to that, as you'll see at the very top of the thread. I just edited the deadline and voting information. The rationale for noon Friday is that a mod can be available during 'business' hours rather than in the middle of one of the busiest convention days. I need a mod to lock the thread and create the voting poll.

GreyHorde - thanks for doing it again! I hope I can paint something before the deadline.

I quoted rules on another forum. Is that OK for you, GH? I can always delete that thread if you wish (it's HERE)

Master series miniatures would go into DHL category, right?

Sure, quoting on other forums is fine. Drawing attention on other forums (with respect to their own rules regarding such advertisement) is great. The more the merrier. Just remember the Wannabe definition -- it's about participation, practice and community. If we lose sight of that, it becomes just another online painting contest, and who wants that?

In the individual categories for DHL, CAV and WL, I’d have to say no, Master Series Miniatures would not be considered DHL. Master Series, limited edition, special edition, boxed sets like dragons, and out-of-production lines like Doom would not qualify. They are all distinct product lines with their own stock numbers. Category entries based on product line must be identifiable in Figure Finder and/or Asylum Online Store by stock number as DHL, CAV or WL.

On the other hand, there is no reason why one could not enter the Diorama category with other product lines… :poke:

And, speaking for a lot of people, “You are very welcome. And thank YOU.” I’m definitely not alone in this. A lot of good folks like Versutus Vulpes, Cutebutpsycho, Kit and others too numerous to name have been working behind the scenes to pull this together. It’s a community effort. Your participation, questions and suggestions all go toward making it a positive experience for everyone.

Sweet...I was hoping this would be done again. I thoroughly enjoyed the contest last year. Thanks to everyone involved both behind the scenes and out front spreadin' the word! Will there be "amateur" and "pro" divisions this year? I'll be looking forward to defending my title. *Throws the gauntlet*

For what it's worth, at Reapercon, there is an 'open' category for dioramas, etc. This is where the Master Series Miniatures have gone in the past.

Sweet...I was hoping this would be done again. I thoroughly enjoyed the contest last year. Thanks to everyone involved both behind the scenes and out front spreadin' the word! Will there be "amateur" and "pro" divisions this year? I'll be looking forward to defending my title. *Throws the gauntlet*

:lol: Hey, Jab -- haven't seen ya 'round here much, lately. Good to know you're still kickin' and ready to roll for this one.

Actually, the pro/am feature seemed to cause a little confusion and wasn't really all that well received last year, so it was scrapped in favor of opening up to four categories + Best of Show.

@cutebutpsycho: thank you, that seals it. The Diorama category will be renamed 'Open' and redefined to include Master Series, boxed sets, etc. *runs off to edit details*

Update

Rastl Deeperdown has generously offered to donate a finished Hirst Arts display base, 3 inches by 3 inches, as a prize. This will be awarded to the winner of the Open category. Thanks, Rastl!

Other new items in the prize pool include random assortments of Reaper minis, Asylum Online e-Gift Certificates and maybe a surprise or two. :poke:

So, the deadline is just 6 weeks away...are you done, yet?