Sign in to follow this  
trooper

Beginner's First Necro List

Folks,

I have my first game of Warlord coming up in a couple of weeks. I have 1501 points to work with. The game will be a four way fight against Dwarves, Crusaders, and Reven. With a friend's assistance I have the following list:

Troop A: 221 points

- Eikar

- Crypt Bats x 5

Troop B: 228 points

- Grave Horror

Troop C: 828 points

- Judas Bloodspire (Warlord)

- Malek (Summon Spectral Minions x 2, Rigor Mortis)

- Crimson Knights x 5

- Wraith Harvesters x 4

Trooper D: 218 points

- Railor (5 point, level 1 mage spell, yet to be determined)

- Skeletal Archers x 6

Total points: 1500

Troop C is the heavy hitter. Troops A and D are mainly for harassment purposes. Troop B is there to squash stuff.

Feedback would be most appreciated. Be gentle as this is my first effort.

Thanks!

well i have played against the necros many times with my friend. to start with judas is a force to be reckoned with, the grave horror is a good scare tactic with his burrowing ability. the knights are hard to go down, the wraiths are good to back up the knights with there reach ability. all and all it sounds like you have a good start to a kick butt army

Troop A: 221 points

- Eikar

- Crypt Bats x 5

The quality of Crypt Bats is somewhat suspect, given they only have 2 wounds and a low DV it is difficult for them to act as anything but a mop up unit. Their ability to use Vampiric feeding is a plus but they take damage very easily so you may never get the chance to employ the power.

Troop B: 228 points

- Grave Horror

This model is a quality investment, it is expensive but it is tough to go wrong with.

Troop C: 828 points

- Judas Bloodspire (Warlord)

- Malek (Summon Spectral Minions x 2, Rigor Mortis)

- Crimson Knights x 5

- Wraith Harvesters x 4

At 1501 you're forced to take a Warlord, and Judas is probably one of the most powerful melee warlords in the game. Nothing wrong with taking him, but using him eats up a lot of your points (albeit so does Moandain when you put spells on him). Between Judas and the Grave Horror you have 1/3rd of your points in 2 models.

I have no objection to Malek, but using summon spectral minions on him is wasteful, save that spell for a caster with higher CP, invest in three or four 5-10 point spells. He doesn't have a high enough CP to make more expensive models worthwhile.

Knights + Harvesters is a worthwhile combination, they are very expensive however, keeping your model count down. I would consider dropping the Harvesters in favor of skeleton warriors and forgoing the idea of gaining reach bonus' simply use the skeleton warriors to give you extra attacks and give your support bonus'.

Trooper D: 218 points

- Railor (5 point, level 1 mage spell, yet to be determined)

- Skeletal Archers x 6

Skeleton archers and Railor are excellent, however I would spread them out over several troops, you will find that a few archers in every troop will provide you with a greater effect.

Try something like this

Troop A (582)

Judas

Crimson Knightsx3

Skeleton Warriorsx5

Skeleton Archersx2

Troop B (361)

Elsabeth

Crimson Knightsx2

Skeleton Warriorsx4

Skeleton Archersx2

Troop C (255)

Eikar

Crypt Batsx3

Skeleton Warriorsx3

Skeleton Archersx2

Troop D (151)

Railor+2xIce shards

Skeleton Warriorsx3

Skeleton Archersx2

Troop E (151)

Railor+2xIce Shards

Skeleton Warriorsx3

Skeleton Archersx2

=1500/1501 points

=41 models

=6 initiative cards

or

Troop A (608)

Judas

Crimson Knightsx3

Skeleton Warriorsx4

Skeleton Archersx4

Troop B (203)

Railor+2xIce shards

Skeleton Warriorsx5

Skeleton Archersx3

Troop C (465)

Railor+2xIce shards

Sir Dauron

Crimson Knightsx3

Skeleton Warriorsx2

Skeleton Archersx2

Troop D (225)

Grave Horror

=1501/1501

=31 models

=5 initiative cards

I agree with everything that SE said above me, for the most part.

There is only one thing I would do differently and that's to keep the Crypt Bats in their own troop. That way they can remain together and the troop as a whole has flight. If you wanted this troops to remain expensive, I would include a Gargoyle.

I agree with everything that SE said above me, for the most part.

There is only one thing I would do differently and that's to keep the Crypt Bats in their own troop. That way they can remain together and the troop as a whole has flight. If you wanted this troops to remain expensive, I would include a Gargoyle.

Re: Crypt Bats

Undead models cannot become shaken, so truthfully cohesion matters very little, as such I would split the Crypt Bat unit into two parts and essentially use them as two separate troops, which just happen to activate at the same time. It saves having to purchase an extra leader model, if it was a real concern you could move the skeletons from that troop in with the Railors, but as I said before I like having archers spread into as many troops as I can.

If you wanted to carry another Mage or Two in the second build you could drop Dauron (I included him out of the blue because he is a heck of a Hero) and take a couple of Maleks or possibly a Malek and THarian or a Malek and Aysa (using champion) if you sacrifice a skeleton or two as well.

Folks,

Thanks for the hints and suggestions. I don't have some of the models that were suggested as replacements for mine, but fortunately, I live a five minute drive from the Reaper factory/store. I picked up four Death Riders and the Sergeant today. I can always go back from more tomorrow. Any excuse for more toys is a good one. My wife/CFO would disagree. ::P:

Truthfully I think the Deathriders would provide you with a better harassment unit that the Crypt Bats, even if they are more expensive they are far more durable and offer a lot more offensive punch.

I went by the Reaper Asylum store yesterday and picked up a large package of Skeleton Warriors and Dauron. Now I have more decisions to make about army composition.

I will be playing in a small tournament that will be a battle report in an upcoming edition of Fictional Reality. My opponents will be Reven, Crusaders, and Dwarves.

I wonder if the mob mentality might work. The 41-model list above might work.