HamishMcGreigh

Converted Reaper Jedi

For the basic model I used the Jade Tiger Mini

02847_G.jpg

Then I followed the basics from a how-to tutorial from WOTC I found here.

And I got this guy...

post-4506-1207602708_thumb.jpg

post-4506-1207602724_thumb.jpg

These are the materials I used to convert him.

post-4506-1207602868_thumb.jpg

The Light Saber hilts started life as GW Space Marine bolter scopes, and the blades are made from Lego transparent rods I had lying around.

post-4506-1207602915_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

That is totally snazz-tacular!

I might try to file down the top edge of the lightsabers, they look a bit jagged. But that's a perfect mini for this conversion, and those bolter-bits work like a charm! I'm gonna have to start doing that for some D&D elemental swords...could be a good time.

That looks great. Fantastic idea!

That is totally snazz-tacular!

I might try to file down the top edge of the lightsabers, they look a bit jagged. But that's a perfect mini for this conversion, and those bolter-bits work like a charm! I'm gonna have to start doing that for some D&D elemental swords...could be a good time.

I think filing the plastic would maybe be a bad idea. You'd be making lots of little scratches in the plastic ruining the transparent effect.

That's why I carry two light sabers, one for each of ya!! Thanks for posting this great work. I'm'a lookin' into some lego sets now.....

You can sand the edges of the Lego down using very fine sandpaper, and then polish it to a brilliant smoothness using Mother's Mag-Aluminum Polish, found at friendly biker stores, truck stops, and auto parts stores nationwide.

You can sand the edges of the Lego down using very fine sandpaper, and then polish it to a brilliant smoothness using Mother's Mag-Aluminum Polish, found at friendly biker stores, truck stops, and auto parts stores nationwide.

Yep, I wouldn't go lower than 400 grit though on the sand paper. That should have enough grit to take care of the rough cut without creating a lot of deep scratches to deal with. Once the end is smooth and polish like Mother's works quite well (as do the variety of polishes made for plastics and acrylics).

You can also clean up the end with a really sharp X-Acto and controlled cuts. Shave the rough bits off and it will look like glass - dull blades though are no good.

A final option which is exceptionally fast but takes a bit more practice to control is to flame polish the end. Using a torch and a pair of pliers - run the tip through the flame. It momentarily melts the plastic which then gets pulled tight via surface tension. The plastic cools within seconds and looks great.

Normally I flame polish the edges of the acrylic cases I build and it is a heck of a lot faster than polishing by hand.

Thanks for all the comments. I'm working on a dark jedi to match against him based on Theda, here...

14346_G.jpg

I'll post her when she's finished.

You can get transparent acrylic rods in just about any color at most hobby shops. 1/16 inches is just about perfect, though I don't know the exact dimensions of the Lego bits I used.

If you want to use legos, I recommend a website called Bricklink.com. Its a lego exchange that links you to seller websites and "Buy-it-now" Legos on E-Bay.

As far as filing the blades goes, I actually wanted the jagged look. If you look at the old production art for Star Wars, most of the lightsapers were done with a sharp point of scattered light, and I wanted to try to capture that. I probably will shave down and polish the red blade for Theda, though, just to see how it looks.

I've got a few jedi and sith Reaper based conversion projects sitting around and soon I'm going to have a need for them. I have this guy on my list of potential jedi as well. You did a really nice job on him.

I finished up another Jedi conversion last week between rounds of Iron Painter over at Wyrd minis.

Started with this guy...

14484_w_1.jpg

and using similar techniques and bits we wound up with...

post-4506-1210038226_thumb.jpg

post-4506-1210038241_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how he turned out. After testing with blu-tack, I decided to keep the Tonfa look, which in turn led me to come up with his custom weapons in my Star Wars Campaign. The lightsaber hilts are again space Marine bolter scopes, only this time I left them a great deal more intact.

• Like 2