Darkspawn

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14810 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:34 PM

Welcome back for another year of pain and torture. And that's just for your allies!

Just think of the wickedness you will plot to make your enemy's suffering legendary...such sweet, delicious pain!

For historical reference, feel free to visit past Faction discussion threads:
Darkspawn 2007
The Pain Cage 1.2
In the Depths of Arkturile

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#2 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:52 AM

Here is something that is just nasty in my mind...

Troop 1:
Witch Queen (greater familiar - 2x lightning blast, stun, firestorm, counterspell)
Nasithe
Paintender
5x broken fodder

Troop 2:
Javolith
Jhorxia
4x Arachnid Warriors

Troop 3:
Keradaan (lesser accuracy upgrade)
3x Arachnid archers

Troop 4:
Maladorn

Troop 5:
Rauthoros (outrider)
-------------------------------------------------------
5 troops, 6 cards, 1 spy, 20 models, 1500 points exact

#3 underling

underling

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:03 PM

Quick tip: Vysa has the same cost as a warrior but is better statwise. Instead of filling up Vysa's troop with whatever units you are going to use, make two smaller troops instead. You'll get two initiation (activation?) cards instead of one AND get a better value for your 30 pts. Just keep in mind that you'll need to follow the chain of command if you make too many small Vysa troops.
We might as well march to the beat of a different drum because it just sounds like noise anyway.

#4 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14810 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

:devil: [Devil's Advocate]

Initiative cards are great, but a bunch of small troops also limits your ability to effectively gang tackle bigger opponent's and tear them down with 6-8 models acting in concert with support.

And it allows your opponent to get more defensive strikes. More painful if they happen to have Warmaster.

[/Devil's Advocate] :devil:

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#5 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

Similar to what Qwyk said:

If you plan to build a few smaller units to grab initiative it is often wise to pair them with larger units. So sure, take a couple units of 4-5 models, but also take a couple 9-11 sized units as well. Truthfully my favorite way to get an initiative bonus is to snag models with Tactician, you're lucky enough to have D'Khul in your list, I would consider using him.
There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

#6 underling

underling

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:44 PM

:devil: [Devil's Advocate]

Initiative cards are great, but a bunch of small troops also limits your ability to effectively gang tackle bigger opponent's and tear them down with 6-8 models acting in concert with support.

And it allows your opponent to get more defensive strikes. More painful if they happen to have Warmaster.

[/Devil's Advocate] :devil:

I guess I do use a lot of archers... hah
We might as well march to the beat of a different drum because it just sounds like noise anyway.

#7 Macharius

Macharius

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:03 PM

I am new to Warlord and to the Darkspawn
So I have some questions about them ::P:
  • Will there ever some background for the Darkspawn (like the faction book for the Crusader?
  • why does they only posses 1 mage and no cleric? In the rulebook in the passage of gods and magic (RPG doubleside) there is is a god of the Darkspawn mention
  • Did they get sometime Darkspawn only things like the Revan Bonesplitter or the Overlord Spiked Armor?

Posted Image
It was nice from the Isiri to summon me!
Taltos is a fine feeding place!

#8 Brushmaster

Brushmaster

Deity of Brushlicking and Drybrushing

• Black Lightning
  • 3683 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:54 AM

I am new to Warlord and to the Darkspawn
So I have some questions about them ::P:

• Will there ever some background for the Darkspawn (like the faction book for the Crusader?
  • why does they only posses 1 mage and no cleric? In the rulebook in the passage of gods and magic (RPG doubleside) there is is a god of the Darkspawn mention
  • Did they get sometime Darkspawn only things like the Revan Bonesplitter or the Overlord Spiked Armor?

There will probably be no more faction books but never say never . As for mages , they actually have several , just that some are demons . Clerics are not part of the "Darkspawn" thing , they have their "Pain Tokens" for that . Who knows what the future holds for faction specific items ! :rolleyes:
Just remember - Your weapons are made by the lowest bidder!!

"The fortunes of war are always doubtful" - Seneca

Law of Tactical Unreliability
Tactical geniuses aren't....

Posted Image

#9 Macharius

Macharius

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:31 PM

Clerics are not part of the "Darkspawn" thing , they have their "Pain Tokens" for that

rulebook, p 31, Gods and Magic, 2nd paragraph:
The corrupted elves of the Darkspawn call upon the evil God Brandaraynn of the Murdering Shadows or their patron demon or devil.

IMO the "Pain Token" thing cames from "their patron demon or devil", but if they posses a main god there should be at least 1 cleric.

As for mages , they actually have several , just that some are demons.

What I mean: there are only one Elite Mage: Thuusia, but IMO they should posses at least two different ones. The second should be an Elite Demon Mage.
Posted Image

#10 Brushmaster

Brushmaster

Deity of Brushlicking and Drybrushing

• Black Lightning
  • 3683 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

You are quite entitled to your opinions but some factions have strengths and weaknesses . Darkspawn's weakness is no clerics .
Just remember - Your weapons are made by the lowest bidder!!

"The fortunes of war are always doubtful" - Seneca

Law of Tactical Unreliability
Tactical geniuses aren't....

Posted Image

#11 Macharius

Macharius

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:42 AM

You are quite entitled to your opinions but some factions have strengths and weaknesses . Darkspawn's weakness is no clerics .

Ok, would you agree, that Darkspawn's strenghts are the many nasty demons?
But many of them are Beasts, so they can't get equipment in the moment. I hope there will be sometime official Beast upgrades.
I like the new Data cards very much, but that many of the demons couldn't modifiy is a little bit sad. This may the reason, why I go on your nerves ( ::P: ) with my wish for clerics and more mages.

EDIT:
Because I doesn't find any background for the Darkspawn, I will try to write my own fan fiction. But I would like to ask if some of the following points were allready discuss:
  • the ratio between Isiri <-> Corrupted elves <-> Demons: is the allready a "official" ratio between these, or could I use any ratio I want?
  • Are the Isiri the lowest tier of the Darkspawn, or would all three groups posses an equal chance for being in charge?
  • How does they build their buildings, "sacret" places aso, or I could use/write anything I would like?

Posted Image

#12 shakhak

shakhak

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3076 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:30 AM

All of the questions you asked have not been answered in any way.

Just guessing here, but after reading all the text these are the answers I have for you.

The darkspawn have forsaken all things even closely related to a deity. If anything they praise themselves. They don't even worship demons, more of a living among them since they have much in common. The Witch Queen actually commands the most powerful demon of all, Rauthuros, so it's unlikely they would praise any other one. So no clerics.

Their faction ability doesn't come from a specific demonic source. It comes from their deep magical culture and their intense love for pain. To them a wound from a sword or spear is pleasurable and not outside the realm of something they would do to themselves for fun. They magically feed off the causing of pain to others, and use it to prevent death when others harm them back. I love how utterly messed up it is.

There is no real way to determine who out numbers who, but I would venture to guess that Demons are the most prolific, with Isiri filling most of the common ranks, and then corrupted elves being fairly rare.

I wouldn't say the Isiri are the lowest teir, but since they are quick to sacrifice their bodies in demonic rituals their Isiri "form" might be considered lesser, but only in comparison to things they can upgrade like the Spawn and Soul Tender, and not nessarly demons.

I don't think anything has ever been said about their buildings. I would assume it's typical dark elf architecture with even more demonic flair. Fires, Ritual Circles, Regular sacrificing, open torture, indescrite brothels and all that stuff.

Also we used to have more mages. In the last revision several of our mages were stripped of their casting powers becausee it was deemed to powerful for flyers to also be mages. I hope we get it back one day, because the mages are why I play this faction.

A cool RTS from one of the designers of Warlord 2.0 Cairn

CustomKorborlas64.jpgReptus.gifDarkspawn.gif

#13 shakhak

shakhak

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3076 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:32 AM

This is why I love darkspawn:

14494: Jhorxia, Succubus
Posted Image
http://www.reapermin...atures/previews

Long live our sweet sculpted flyers.

#14 Macharius

Macharius

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:14 PM

Yes she is really pretty (but she lost (if I recall correctly) her ability to use Elite), and there is also a Sucubus Elite rogue (a 10"Flyer with Raider/2 and Backstab/2), so she is also lovely

So a full unit of flyer! plus a big demon hero flyer!
Posted Image

#15 shakhak

shakhak

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3076 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

Yes she is really pretty (but she lost (if I recall correctly) her ability to use Elite), and there is also a Sucubus Elite rogue (a 10"Flyer with Raider/2 and Backstab/2), so she is also lovely

So a full unit of flyer! plus a big demon hero flyer!

The model above, is the new Elite Rogue. She's not out yet, she just showed up in the previews.

Full troops of flying demons... MMMmmm You're speaking my language.

If you want to play a fun game, run with this Demonic Conclave Army:

Rauthorus - 316
Incubus/Succubus Warrior x10 - 620

Guros - 105
Imps x7 - 175

Vysa - 30
Imps x7 - 175

Devourer of Mashaf - 75

I know the Imps aren't flyers any more, but it's still a fun army. No promises on how effective it is, but let Vysa and the Devourer hang back just for initiative cards and summon all the Imps and Incubus Warriors into Guros' and Rauthorus' troops. Since you're summoning you're allowed to ignore troop capacity and adept restrictions (the army has to be a legal build though)
You could even put all 10 Inc. Warriors and all 14 Imps in Rauth's troop... it results in a fairly brutal activation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users