Reptus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 15131 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

Welcome back for another year. The warmbloods and unblooded have once again sought to invade our swamps. For centuries the Mongkohn lived in peace, avoiding the endless conflicts and squabbling of the warmbloods and unblooded. No longer can we sit idle by as the invaders destroy our home. We shall take their war to them. The Clutchlings are hungry. Let us fill their bellies with the fresh meat our foes shall provide us.

For historical reference, feel free to view past Faction discussion threads:
Reptus 2007
Glory of Payanak 1.2
Reptus Discussion

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#2 Hellsgate

Hellsgate

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:44 AM

*dives* FIRST!!! *starts placing stakes to mark his area of the swamp*

"I don't suffer from insanity, I indulge in every single minute of it."

#3 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 15131 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:12 AM

I believe you mean second...

Just saying, you know?

:poke:

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#4 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:48 PM

Ok, so here is a quick interesting 1500 point list I was looking at:

Troop 1:
Uru (greater armor)
9x skullbreakers

Troop 2:
Ssathus
3x brood riders
5x couatl

Troop 3:
Chhaya
3x nagendra venomspitters

Troop 4:
Chhaya
3x raptors
4x nag rangers

LUCKSTONE
------------------------------------
4 troops, 4 cards, 1499 points exact, 31 models

Biggest glaring weakness, is no offensive magic or counterspell magic.

Biggest strengths: decent MAVs, decent amount of poison, decent amount of models for support and hopefully able to hide the low DV models amongst the higher DV troop mates.

Just something to get a few discussions going.

EDITTED 4-21-2008 due to the fact that I fogot that hover models went up a few points.

#5 spiritual_exorcist

spiritual_exorcist

Godlike

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:35 AM

Troop 1:
Uru (greater armor)
10x skullbreakers

I have to say the notion of ten Skullbreakers activating at once is fairly terrifying.
There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

#6 Warwick

Warwick

Master

• T-Town Crew
  • 871 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:06 AM

Anyone playing a Nagendra sublist? I'm keen on building a Reptus army next but don't want the typical lizards. The snake-men models are incredible. How do they play?

#7 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:36 AM

You have to play them similar to your merc ronin. Try to get them to hit hard before they die fast.

Their poison helps IF you are fighting eligible opponents.

The fact that they gain the SA which makes them immune to first strike is also really helpful.

But, the main draw back on them is that poison doesnt stack. Like with any combat i warlord, los of times you need to have models team up to give support bonuses to make sure someone hits. But, this contradicts the reason for bringing all the poison toters where you want to hit as many different targets as possible to make sure to get that extra point of damage on them.

I have played with them a few times with mixed results.

Basically in games where the opponent was susceptible to poison i did really well, and opponents that were not I got wiped out due to the fact that in general all of them do have lower DVs.

#8 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

Oh, and another negative on the nag list, there is no healing at all.

But, having said that, here is an interesting list I think for them:

Troop1:
Po-Wi-Set (greater familiar - 2x firestorm, stun, counterspell)
4x nag warriors
4x nag rangers

Troop2:
Ssathuss (lesser weapon)
Ssudai (greater familiar - 2x stun, counterspell) - or swap Ssathuss weapon and upgrade both stuns to firestorms
2x venomspitters
4x nag rangers

Troop3:
Ssathuss (lesser weapon)
Kulan
5x couatl

Troop 4:
Nakaraat
--------------------------------------------
4 troops, 5 cards, 1 spy, 25 models (18 with ranger), 1500 points exact.

#9 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:24 PM

How is this for kinda crazy but just might work type of build:

Troop 1:
Chai-Uut
skullbreaker
2x clutchlings
4x archers

Troop 2:
Chhaya
skullbreaker
2x clutchlings
4x venomspitters

Troop 3:
Chhaya
skullbreaker
2x clutchlings
4x archers

Troop 4:
Chhaya
skullbreaker
2x clutchlings
4x archers

Troop 5:
Chhaya
3x spikeshell warriors
4x archers
-------------------------------------------
5 troops, 5 cards, 40 models, 1498 points

#10 scotty kahn

scotty kahn

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:24 PM

So, I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction on how to deal with alot of Elven bowmen. I'm turned into swiss long before I hit the lines, and what does make it there usually cant stand up to all of the attacks coming back for very long.
I've thought about using a whole bunch of the cuoatl to hurry and just get the archers engaged but I think with there low DV they will be pummeled fairly quick and not serve too much of a purpose.

Any thoughts?

#11 rgtriplec

rgtriplec

Godlike

• Members
  • 1921 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:14 PM

So, I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction on how to deal with alot of Elven bowmen. I'm turned into swiss long before I hit the lines, and what does make it there usually cant stand up to all of the attacks coming back for very long.
I've thought about using a whole bunch of the cuoatl to hurry and just get the archers engaged but I think with there low DV they will be pummeled fairly quick and not serve too much of a purpose.

Any thoughts?

Not knowing your list makes it hard to suggest changes or tactics. Reptus have the best meat shield vs range in the game with the Spikeshells. They have the fastest soldiers with the cuoatl and have three ranged soldiers that all have defensive shot. So they probably have better tools against elves than a lot of other factions. Using a lot of terrain may help too.
It's Dwarfs not Dwarves. 1500+ Warlord Armies: Dwarfs, Elves, Mercs, Reven, Goblins, Lupines, Sisters, "To be is to do"-Socrates "To do is to be"-Sartre "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" - Sting "Scooby Dooby Do"-Scooby Do "Yaba Daba Doo"-Fred Flintstone

#12 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:20 PM

as with anything going against the shooty elves, it depends on a few things, the main one being the terrain.

With their ranger moves, and if you get the first card flip, potentially, the couatl would be perfect against the shooty elves. You don't necessarily need the couatl to outright kill the archers, but if you can get that charge on them in the first card flip (dont forget hover allows you to move past the speed bumps) then you have a MAV of 5 against their DV of 8 or 9. A single hit plus a poison roll puts 2 points of damage on them at the end of the turn. I think that is a pretty fair trade off if they hit your 27 point model in return.

The negative is if you do lose that first card flip, acuse the couatl do not fly and therefore do not have that half range penalty for shooting at flyers. And with their low DV they will definately die quick. But, thats the risk you take.

I also like raptors to go with them for their speed. Or go the opposite route and take a troop of spikeshell warriors and tromp them across the field.

Then again there are the gaan-hor flyers (where the flyers do have the half range benefit against the archers).

A combination of those above with just about any other fun should at least provide a good starting point for you.

What do your lists normally look like? And does terrain ever come into play?

#13 scotty kahn

scotty kahn

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:06 PM

My list today was
Troop-1
Khong-to (greater weapon and greater armour)
Nai khannon (greater weapon)
4x Warriors.

Troop-2
Chai-uut (greater armour and weapon)
Ssudai ( greater familiar, 2x chain lightning)
2x warriors
3x archers

We played a 2 on 2 game where I was allied with Nefsokar and the elf player was allied with dwarves. We didnt use much terrain because we always play at least a 3 person game and have found that it causes more headaches than its worth once the bloody hand to hand starts.

I know I positioned myself bad at the start of the game, but by the second turn of his firing I had lost Ssudai and all three of my archers.

#14 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:56 PM

Well, see you are looking at terrain all wrong then. Terrain is not something to be a pain in the side, but rather something to enhance the game experience, no matter what faction you are playing. It also serves to create tactical situations, whether it be from having target objectives, to ranged cover, to just some cool things to run around, thru, or over.

As for bad starting positions, well not much i can do there, except say, hopefully you learned from that set up and maybe how to better place them next time.

#15 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5996 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

Not to say that you can't play a compact army, but right now it is my opinion that your army is too top-heavy. It looks like you are playing about a 1000 point game based on the list; 13 models at 1000 points is going to hurt you, especially against a shooty-type army like evles. Even with the relatively high DVs of your two leaders and the Khanon, you have effectively limited the number of damage tracks your army has, making it easier for a ranged-heavy army to slaughter you before you can get anywhere near them. Ditch some of the equipment, ditch one of the elites, downgrade to less-power leaders, and bulk up your model and troop count. At 1000 points, I typically shoot for 3-5 Troops, depending on if I use solos. Speaking of which, find room to bring the dragon turtle in your list; it'll give the elves fits. A more diverse build with a greater number of models should help you be more competitive against the elves.

~v

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Look! Auctions!! Buy my stuff!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users