Sign in to follow this  
rgrove0172

ECM Fire Magnets

I prefer to use recon models for calling strikes, them EST if they have it. Smoke Strikes can work as well or better than the ECM huddle.

For stopping direct fire, absolutely. Indirect fire, not as much.

However, Fun = a rifle section with orbital drop, FiST, and AT-23 upgrades for all and a good selection of strikes. The pucker factor really shoots up when you drop them behind your opponents line in turn two. Orbital Pinpoint Strike plus an AT-23 attack is pretty useful against Pumas or any other 3 DT recon model.

However, Fun = a rifle section with orbital drop, FiST, and AT-23 upgrades for all and a good selection of strikes. The pucker factor really shoots up when you drop them behind your opponents line in turn two. Orbital Pinpoint Strike plus an AT-23 attack is pretty useful against Pumas or any other 3 DT recon model.

Yea I like that one. But I prefer crui9se missles over orbital strikes.

That depends, cruise missiles are even more fragile now. Haven't played with the RC08 one's yet, but I doubt they'd survive much beyond their first turn. However, the nuclear cruise missile is very entertaining with the above tactic if your opponent likes soft models.

That depends, cruise missiles are even more fragile now. Haven't played with the RC08 one's yet, but I doubt they'd survive much beyond their first turn. However, the nuclear cruise missile is very entertaining with the above tactic if your opponent likes soft models.

The trick is to cruise missles so they hit their target that action. With their movement that is usually easy.

Which is dependent on the size of the table, or taking the chance that the fist team doesn't buy the proverbial rural real estate while the targets move with that first turn range of the cruise missile. On a 4x4 table, I'd almost take cruise missiles over anything else, but on a 4x6 or longer I'm thinking more along the lines of orbital pinpoint strikes. With the oribital I only have to get the fist model within 48" and LOS, which can be done with either fast vehicles or orbital insertion (recon gunship or infantry).

Which is dependent on the size of the table, or taking the chance that the fist team doesn't buy the proverbial rural real estate while the targets move with that first turn range of the cruise missile. On a 4x4 table, I'd almost take cruise missiles over anything else, but on a 4x6 or longer I'm thinking more along the lines of orbital pinpoint strikes. With the oribital I only have to get the fist model within 48" and LOS, which can be done with either fast vehicles or orbital insertion (recon gunship or infantry).

per the rules Cruise missles have no range requirement, and appears to have no los requirement as you don't have to declare a target, target point etc. . The simply move on the table at move into b2b with an enemy model and explode.

Any table 48" or less wide means a potential 1 turn strike on any target.

Are you deploying on the long or short edge? I usually play lengthwise down the table on at least a 4x6, so with a 6" deep deployment zone I'm looking at 54" between my table edge and his nearest model at a minimum.

per the rules Cruise missles have no range requirement, and appears to have no los requirement as you don't have to declare a target, target point etc. . The simply move on the table at move into b2b with an enemy model and explode.

Any table 48" or less wide means a potential 1 turn strike on any target.

And even if you play on a larger table, it gives your opponent something else to worry about. :devil:

Are you deploying on the long or short edge? I usually play lengthwise down the table on at least a 4x6, so with a 6" deep deployment zone I'm looking at 54" between my table edge and his nearest model at a minimum.

I have never played on anything except a 4x4 table. I don't know if anyplace here even has anything bigger.

If the table is deeper than that I would just wait until his units move to within 48" of my edge. Its not like he going to be able to kill all my FiST units if he stays hiding in his deployment zone. If using strike I usually have 6-10 FiST capable units.

FiST, Never leave home without it.

Now the cost changes to orbital strikes and cruise missiles bring them in par so it can be a toss up as to which to use. When orbital strikes were 100 and cruise missiles 50 it was a no brainer for me in favor of the missiles.

Not necessarily. A Terran force with no strikes and no air assets is still an extremely viable force. So is anyone's army for that matter. I never think in terms of how to include strikes in a force point total.

I look at strikes this way - They're a non-renewable resource. Once used, hit or miss, they're gone. You can't repair them, you can't use them again and you can't duck them behind cover. I realize I may be in the minority but I've never been able to get good results with strikes and I've grown to consider them a nice "spiff" to have when you are fielding some insanely large force but otherwise for the cost of a couple big strikes I can have something I can manuever, use as bait, use to sting or finish off a wounded unit, use to draw opposing forces off to deal with it and if necessary repair it. A renewable resource. ::):

I don't normally bring that many FiST elements and rarely use all the available points for the strike pool. I've only done that once and it was mostly because I took an Atomic WMD cruise missile in a 4k point game. I like to think of strikes as seasoning on a well prepared dish. The dish is perfectly fine on it's own, but the seasoning gives it that something extra.

Not necessarily. A Terran force with no strikes and no air assets is still an extremely viable force. So is anyone's army for that matter. I never think in terms of how to include strikes in a force point total.

true you don't need strikes, even as a terran to be viable. However I personally make a heavy use of them. I even build forces around the application of battlefield strikes. They are especially nice in infantry heavy terran lists. An alpha strike of 10 drop rifle teams with AT-23's and FiST followed by an immediate 10 strikes is a beautiful thing. The free terran strike pool makes these kind of tactics more viable without using all your points on strikes.