6 replies to this topic

#1 morganm

morganm

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:20 PM

I just bought two of the Ogre Chieftans from the Legendary Encounters line. Very happy with them! Sat and compared them to some of my D&D Minis. LE's have much better detail in the sculpting and a better paint job to boot.

Can't wait to throw them on the battle grid next session!

Now if only they came in 3 packs at an ever so slightly lower price.... ;p
Posted Image

#2 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6429 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:40 AM

That's why I'm not sweatin' Reaper about the release dates on this new line. This is a new venture for them, and while they've got metal down, and I mean, down, prepainted plastics are new for them, and understandably, they want to keep the level of quality even across the board.

I've seen'em on the rack, but I have enough orcs, but when some of the others come out, I know I'll buy a bunch, precisely because of word of mouth reviews like yours. Kings to you.
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#3 Rhydur Meith

Rhydur Meith

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:25 PM

The one area DDM still has on Reaper is on size. Due to WotC strategy, they can make the large monsters really large (heck, size creep is taking over that whole line, actually, even standard minis are now 30mm+, rather than 28mm). While size isn't everything, it does add an impressive touch. The DDM ogres dwarf the Reaper ogre; I actually used my Reaper ogre as a leader for the DDM half-ogres, and it was still a bit smaller than those.

I don't think Reaper is going to be able to match the DDM size wise, but they can beat them in sculpt & paint. That will likely have to be their niche (as well as the non-random thing, which actually has pluses and minuses).
Dragons are long, but not tall.

#4 morganm

morganm

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:02 AM

I, too, noticed the scale differences between the large / giant DDMs and large / giant LEs. Comparing Ogres to Ogres (LOL! =) the DDM Ogre Skirmisher is significantly taller than the LE Ogre Chieftan. I think WotC takes the whole "Heroic Scale" a bit far. Personally I think Reaper LEs are better in this aspect; and almost every other aspect =D
Posted Image

#5 Dante

Dante

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:39 PM

I recently bought and Ogre Chieftain which really does look fantastic by the way, but he keeps wanting to fall forward crushing the characters lol :p I gotta find a way to correct this.

#6 Nial ap Morai

Nial ap Morai

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:40 PM

The ogre chieftain did the same thing for me, so I had to attach a new base.
'Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid.' --- David Hackworth

"A little I'm hurt, but yet not slayne. I'll but lye down and bleed awhile, and then I'll rise and fight again." --Sir Andrew Barton

"Life's hard... and it's even harder when you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Posted Image

#7 DARK ELF

DARK ELF

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

my ogre chief is a lil' smaller then the others. but the sculpt/paint straight smokes the others! and i play ddm,im even a Guild member. so i glue all my Reaper P.P.M's to G.W round bases,works like magic...POOF!!
"Hold fast to the truth, for the truth is a pillar. a steadfast pillar that all that all the world cannot shake"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users