Vaitalla

Cersei Lannister

Well, every once in a while I do like to paint some stuff that's not Reaper (don't tell Ed!). :;): I thought I would put up a couple WiP pics of my Cersei Lannister since Gen Con's rules allow in-prog shots to be posted on the internet now prior to the contest. I'm trying a transparent gown effect for the first time on Cersei; on most models I find it gratuitous but considering the woman's character, eh, I can always pretend she's in her nighty! :;): I actually have not decided how transparent it will stay when I start adding colors; I may block out all but the barest hint of skin. I've already decided that the nipples aren't going to show through (too tacky) unless I can suggest it with a very subtle shadow.

So anyhoo, these are the skin tones, just about done. The hair is basecoated. The dress will be green, as Cersei is most often described wearing that color in the Song of Ice and Fire books.

Cersei, front shot

Cersei, back shot

I don't know how often I will post pics, but decided to put these up because I like the model so much. ::):

--Anne

Just got this one myself because I saw Matt Verzani's "naughty" version and want to try painting shear cloth. Please update this as you go along or at least post the finished one after the Con.

It seams to me that if it is shear enough to show throught the flesh you will have to at least suggest the nipples as you said.

I think the lower level folds should show something of the legs as well...you've shown her in such a sheer cloth that the bottom and the sleeves seem overly weighted as heavy. Otherwise...I just got "yellled" at for painting my Cersei with the green, so you'll never please all the fans. Do as you'd like and keep the pics coming!

George himself has written that Cersei most often wears green, so the fans can grouse all they like. :;): Author trumps readers in my book...where on earth are they complaining about yours?

The current state of the model is most likely not the way the transparency will stay--I haven't even started on the cloth yet, I just put the white in there to map out what I'm doing (and make sure it was looking somewhat "right" at this stage). I'll be gradually layering greens in to cover up the skin, but I wanted to start out painting the skin so that I had it there in its proper state of highlights and shadows. Since this is the first time I'll be doing this I am going very slow. :;):

I dunno, I think that with the thickness of the swirling cloth around her feet you wouldn't see much if any of the skin...I'll look at it again, though! Thanks Sue. ::):

--Anne

I'm a fan of the books, I like the models of the characters, and the paint job you are doing on this one is going strong. Keep up the good work.

Cheers.

I've seen the shear effect painted as you are doing it, flesh first, and I have seen it done cloth first. Both ways worked very well and made great figs when completed. For Cersei I'm leaning toward the flesh based approach. Thanks and have fun.

Jeremie did it flesh-first when he ran his seminar for us here in Texas, and I think that way feels more "natural" to me. I love glazing so I am going to be putting the cloth in with a succession of thin glazes and seeing how it works. ::D: Thanks for all the feedback, guys, I'll try and post more pics soon (and not ReaperSoon, either!). :lol:

--Anne ::):

The complainers are on CMON, and yep, I have it on good authority that the author likes my rendition just fine. :-)

And it's the inside of the folds that I thought might show a bit more...as the cloth is that much closer to the skin, and the further away, the more opaque. Anyway, I'm watching this and will try it with another mini I have in the offing for next year. I've only done the skin after the fabric, so it sounds like mcuh the same, but the colors you glaze with are different. Hope I can get some time with Jeremie some day!

Heh, yeah, I would count the author's approval higher than anyone else's in this kind of thing, I think. ::): I thought your Cersei was lovely and I am cursing you for using the white sleeves, which I might otherwise have done. :;):

Anyhoo...I think she's more family friendly now so I'll just put up the pics:

cerseiinprog5.jpg

cerseiinprog6.jpg

cerseiinprog7.jpg

This is after the first glaze, which was about five or six drops of Moth Green with one drop of Clear Green added. I did mix a little bit of the glaze with a tiny dab of Pure White and thinned it way down to glaze over certain areas to give them a little more opacity over the skin, perhaps suggesting a doubled layer of cloth (over the chest most notably, and I also used this color to even out the glazed effect on the folds of the dress lower down, and the sleeves). I did add two drops of Flow Improver (MSP) and two drops of Reaper Brush-On Sealer to the glaze to increase transparency and ensure an even flow of the color.

I went with a warmer green to start with, thinking that it would not overwhelm and cool down the skin tones as much. So far I am liking my results quite a bit! Though this first glaze was overall, I am thinking the next ones will be focused on the areas where I do not want the skin to show through as much. I may darken the next glaze a tad as well...we will see! And I am still considering freehand for the dress...muhahaha!

Very fun mini so far!

A small side note. This morning, I did a few experiments with translucent cloth at home because I have a few shirts and skirts of that variety. ::): For the record, it is not necessarily the parts of the cloth which are closest to the skin, but the parts which are closest to the skin AND have light hitting them which show the skin color through. So I will now be applying my next layers of glaze using that knowledge as a guideline!

Glad you're having fun. :-) Glazing looking good, though the bright green has me wincing a bit--I'll live as the sheer is looking good. hmmm, close and light....just how does the light have to hit it to have it show skin, and how close does it have to be...dang but I'll have to go searching for fabric now to experiment on my own.

So...when ya gonna get to the hair!? She's looking naked without good hair. ;-P

The green will deepen, never fear. :;):

I kinda wanted to map out the dress before the hair, as the dress is what I'm nervous about! Hehehe! But if you insist, Sue, I will try to get the hair done during this Saturday's Paint Club. ::):

--Anne ::D:

p.s. If the skin is relatively close to the cloth and light is hitting it it shows up just fine...I draped my hand in a section of cloth and looked at it in indoor and outdoor lighting, wherever the sun/light was hitting you would see a bit of skin color even if it wasn't right up against the cloth. I foresee a problem in applying some of this to an opaque miniature, but hey, life is full of challenges...

Wow, you're doing great with the transparency. It looks good now and you haven't done the dress even.

I just gotta say, that is one finely tuned sculpt. I might have to pick this one up.