5 replies to this topic

#1 Wilwarin

Wilwarin

Godlike

• Members
  • 1503 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

Hey everyone!

I might have missed it already, but is there a tutorial on how to thin out metallic paint without getting it to separate? Can someone give me advice on this?

I'm currently painting Warlord Mini 14017 which is Naomi, Mistress of Wings. For her "bracers" and the top of her skirt I used Dwarf Bronze (Citadel paint) and when I first started I thinned it with just water. I looked for a retardant today at Michael's and they had none, so it was just water. Well, when I did it the paint separated. I didn't put too much water in either.

How can one paint with metallic paints when it comes to thinning? Any advice would be a big benefit! Thanks in advance!! :)

#2 Phasm

Phasm

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:51 PM

I haven't been able to figure this one out either, and one of my favorite metals (Vallejo Gunmetal) HAS to be thinned in order to be usable, so I hope one of the local paint gurus has some advice! Gunmetal's a good metallic for that dark steel look, but the stuff has the consistency of yellow mustard. Best I've been able to do so far is to just keep a toothpick in/near the puddle of thinned paint. Every time I dip my brush, I stir up the puddle with the toothpick first. It's kind of a pain though.

#3 Wilwarin

Wilwarin

Godlike

• Members
  • 1503 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:00 PM

Yeah! I did the same with mine. Sadly, with the Citadel paints I had the consistency of oil in water :(

#4 Serenity

Serenity

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 497 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:45 PM

There's some good advice from Joe Kutz in this post. I'm sure he'll come along to offer more advice before long, if you need it.

Thinning advice

Serenity
All I want is to have my peace of mind.(Boston)

Time and time again I've thanked them for a peace of mind.(The Outlaws, Green Grass and High Tides)

#5 All-Terrain Monkey

All-Terrain Monkey

Lord of the Ninja Monkeys

• Artists
  • 1528 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:40 AM

When it comes to a metallic paint, you can't thin too much or you lose a lot of the reflective flake that makes it metallic in the first place. I recommend thinning with water and a drop or two of a color closely matching the metallic color in order to "thin" it out yet still let it cover easily. For instance, GW Shining Gold + MSP Buckskin Pale, or Palomino Gold, for example.

John Bonnot, Grandmaster Punster, resident Monkeyboy, member of the Reaper Paint Crew, the Bufo Frog of Caffeine, and Suburb-Class Painter. "If you're not cheating, you're not painting." -- Me

MONKEY NINJA BACON :||:::

#6 morganm

morganm

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:11 AM

There's some good advice from Joe Kutz in this post. I'm sure he'll come along to offer more advice before long, if you need it.

Thinning advice

Toward the bottom of that thread is where Joe gets specific to metallics.

Hope it helps!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users