Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joshuaslater

Rackham plastics

28 posts in this topic

Dig. I like Rackham for what I call the "Rackhamesque" look. They did take some heat over the paintjobs and the plastics, but overall they are good.

Reaper seems to be doing the right thing by being totally up front wth the customers. I completely take you for granted!

OK, this has been bugging me since this thread went up:

Why is the comparison odious?

Rackham will actually tell you which pictures are factory paints and which ones are studio paints in their newsletters.

You've undoubtedly heard the expression, so this is no different. Whenever you compare similar miniatures from different manufacturers, you usually get posts running the gamut from "I hate Rackham," to X company's are better than Y's, etc.

So far this thread has been pretty level headed.

The Rackham plastics you see on their site have been re-painted by their studio painters; I believe if you nose around you will find a statement to that effect. They actually took some flack over that when they first started releasing stuff, to the tune that their promotional models were painted way above and beyond the actual paint jobs on the plastics so people were not getting what they were expecting. That said, the first batch of Rackham pre-paints were cleanly done, quite nice. Just not quite up to a studio paint job from some of the best painters in the industry!! :lol:

--Anne ::):

I was wondering if that was the case as I surfed around to different sites. They do look way too good to be true. Kinda gave it a way when almost every site had the same exact photos with the blue/white gradient background. http://images.google.com can turn up some of the actual figures.

dont all the companies have the master paints for their promo photo shoots?

I own PPP from both company's and love both! In general the Rackham sculpts and paint jobs appeal to me more consistently but they are way more fragile than the Reaper stuff. I use the purple worm and the Minotaur in warlord, and can just throw them in my bag with out ever worrying if they will break.

My favorite thing about the Reaper stuff is that you pay for the mini, not the value of the mini in the game. For example Rackham prices their PPP based on the point value of the character in Confrontation, so I paid the same price for 2 minis that I paid for 5 minis.

Dig, BK. I've bought some of Rackham's and Reaper's, and I know how the pricing is set so I can't complain. I hadn't seen their knights before. They look good.

dont all the companies have the master paints for their promo photo shoots?

We do have our master paints in photo, but the pictures we show on the website are all production pictures, of production models.

just got some of these,very nice. great for WFRP! but i still love Reaper,for my AD&D!!

A lot of Rackham's stuff looks good, I was given a a rackham wolven by a friend trying the 'get 'em hooked' approach and while the mini is lovely the price could land me an new CAV..ordered from my FLGS no nifty online discounty goodness. And as I am a DM I love inexpensive mini that are NOT PACKAGED RANDOMLY... Sorry I could rant on the D&D minis for a long long time but reaper has always done right by me. SO I'll stay here...and because my guilty pleasure is here...