Simon Vaillancourt

Simon's Sculpting

Hey guys, I got a good news, my eyes are back to normal ! I'm giving mini sculpting a try again. I will use procreate because I still have a lot of it, but I will try to get back to GS when I have the chance !

I would like to make a dragonborn for my dnd 4e game but I don't know where to start. I would also like to try myself with some artwork that Reaper used to make previous miniatures. If that is possible.

I have a big need of encouragement from all of you. Especially from Sandy and Tre :)

I would like to have tips from all the pros. Hope that my 3D sculpting helped me to perform in ProCreate !

Thanks to all.

Oh, my baby girl is born on the 12th of August !

Congratulations ont he birth of your daughter! :)

Being a Daddy is the best thing that could ever happen to any man.

As for your sculpting. My first and foremost piece of advice. GOOD reference.

Second; STrong, complete, stable armature.

Third; GOOD REFERENCE!

Fourth; make a VERY skinny version of your figure as an underpinning of the overall figure.

Fifth; GOOD REFERENCE!!!

Good luck. :D

So Tre, are you saying that we should have a good reference?

He was a little vague on that, but I beleive that is what he meant. :devil:

Congratulations ont he birth of your daughter! :)

Being a Daddy is the best thing that could ever happen to any man.

As for your sculpting. My first and foremost piece of advice. GOOD reference.

Second; STrong, complete, stable armature.

Third; GOOD REFERENCE!

Fourth; make a VERY skinny version of your figure as an underpinning of the overall figure.

Fifth; GOOD REFERENCE!!!

Good luck. :D

Thanks , being a dad is the best thing ever !

Good reference ! Thanks So I need to get reference on komodo dragon skin, Fantasy Dragon skin, and humanoid like dragon pose.

Strong complete and stable armature ... Reaper pro dollies or steel wire ?

VERY skinny, how skinny can you show me an example ? (by email)

Oh and one last question, how is the reference again ?

Have a good look through kev White's Work bench shots over at hasslefree miniatures.

Reaper dollies are good to use, but then so is steel wire. Iy just depends how big of a figure you intend to make.

First try: I tried to make the dragonborn with a Bobby Jackson's Dolly. Work great but they got reptilian feet. The miniature will be scrapped.

2nd Try: I will restart the whole thing today. I'm a little bored of the non stickiness of the procreate, but I have so much stock in my freezer that it's not even funny.

I would trade all my procreate for GS. Sad to tell that tho, because procreate is a good product. It's just not sticky enough.

Statistic for the 2nd try:

Armature: Wire frame - 32 mm crown.

Head high : 6

Medium : Procreate

Subject : Dragonborn Paladin of Kelemvor.

---

Where I did wrong on 1st try : Rushed to sculpt. No good references for the pose. Made the under layer a little too thick.

I have made some basic mistake, it angers me.

My comments would depend on what you plan to do next! ::P: Is this an understructure, or is this the finished layer of skin/scales? The collarbones are clearly defined, but the legs don't have clear musculature. If this is an understructure and he is going to be covered with armor, then this is fine. If this is an understructure and you are going to leave some areas as bare skin/scales, then this might be too bulky already. If this is the finished skin, then the knees and leg muscles need to be more pronounced, etc.

In general, his legs look a little short for a human -- the femur should be about as long as the torso -- but maybe you just say that dragonborn proportions are different from human proportions. :;): (Lizards have long bodies and short legs.)

I keep my first application of putty very thin, so I don't accidentally create solid volumes where there should be voids in the finished sculpt. I tend to sculpt slender people, so there isn't much volume in the finished piece anyway. Tre' Manor makes much better muscular figures, but he also keeps his understructures very small, so he can create deeply cut muscles. In this WIP shot of my hellborn wizard, the boots and torso are done, the arms have one layer (just a thin skin of putty), and there are two layers on the legs, but they will later be covered by his trousers. You can see my post in the minotaur thread about keeping layers thin.

Keep it up,

Derek

post-2358-1219810446_thumb.jpg

Can't think of anything more to add to that Derek.

Derek you did a REALLY good job on that torso anatomy. Well all of that figure really. Very nice and subtle. It's funny, after getting my RBG figures cast up and primed, I have kind of come to the realization that I cut my musculature a little too deeply. I will have to watch that from now on.

DEREK THANKS !!!! That picture is great !

So thinning my arms, torso and leg would be a nice Idea ... I'll work on that (between 2 diapers) and will post new pictures.

Derek, Tre do you have other on going miniature that you can show some pictures of it ?

I'm also teaching someone how to sculpt miniatures. She's a good 120mm and bigger but I told her that the real challenge is the 30mm :)

I'll sand some layers I've put ... oh well I may redo the whole miniature ;)

Shaving done using a Dremel golf club cleaner !

IMG_6545.jpg

IMG_6546.jpg

IMG_6547.jpg

IMG_6548.jpg

Oh and Guys I missed you at gencon and I am really sad of it, but my baby girl appreciate it.

I would like to go at Reapercon but it's far and the money will not be there :(

Please comment !