Simon Vaillancourt

Simon's Sculpting

Thanks. Lost Caverns, indeed! Glad you remembered.

Heh, sorry it took so long to respond. Been kinda crazy for me. Not much sculpting going on - I developed an abscess and infection in my elbow, which has made it rather hard to sculpt (never realized how much I rely on being able to put weight on my elbows!)... and then, on top of that, I developed a reaction to one of the antibiotics and ended up with hives all over, and then got the lovely news that I need two root canals, after not having so much as a cavity in 25 years. Sheesh. What a coupla weeks I'm having.

Anyway, some things you never forget. I'd love to to somehow be able to re-live some of those early day D&D/AD&D adventures... the Slaver series, Lost Caverns, Barrier Peaks... some of the others... there's something about the low-budget early days that is really nostalgic for me.

I'm sure that my history of painting for Reaper influenced their decision to buy the figures. A company with whom I didn't have such a relationship might not have bought them. It's good to know people. :;):

Yeah, possibly, but as nice as the Reaper folks are (and don't get me wrong - I think they're a great bunch of people), they do not produce figures out of charity. They have high standards and would not have run them if they weren't up to those standards, no matter how long they had known you.

I've been splitting my attention so many ways (actual job, teaching, painting, gaming, playtesting the D&D 4e Core rules, etc.) that I've sculpted only about 8 figures per year.

So, you're partially to blame for 4ed? :devil: Just kidding but I'm honestly not a fan of what they've done with this release... I seem doomed to hate all even-numbered releases, it seems. I also hated 2ed with a passion. THAC0? Puh-lease... :)

It's honestly amazing that you're as good as you are with only sculpting that much. I'm a tad jealous :) Anyway, elbow's still tender, but it's healed enough that I can do some sculpting. I actually took a stab at sculpting head last night - and was quite impressed with myself - not pro quality by any stretch of the imagination, but pretty good for me... then I took a step back and realized it was WAY too big for the figure! So, I cut it off and will try again tonight... *sigh*

Hey guys do you know a good tutorial to do a nice scalemail ?

I thought I had seen one somewhere, but I've just looked around briefly and not found anything.

Do you want diamond(lozenge-)shaped scales, or square scales, or round-bottomed fishlike scales, or something else?

I've made scales only a few times, but basically this is the process: add a smooth layer of putty, lightly score in (with a knife) the borders of all the scales; and then, working each scale from the bottom row upward, push in at the top of the scale and pull the bottom of the scale out a bit over the one below it. Neaten the edges at the end. Add ribbing or texture (such as a central ridge) to the scales if you want.

This picture shows an early figure (my 4th, I think), but I had just gotten advice on sculpting scalemail from Bobby Jackson and Sandy Garrity. It's supposed to be the skin of a young dragon, so there's some texture to the scales and different types of scales on the front and back. At least it looks better when painted. :;):

Derek

post-2358-1221881588_thumb.jpg

Jeff --

The elbow and tooth problems sound terrible. I hope you recover quickly and fully.

Glad to hear, at least, that you were able to sculpt a bit, even if the results frustrated you. I constantly make too-big heads, too. My sculpting box includes a bag full of removed faces that would have been OK for a figure half-again as tall as the actual one. ::P:

So, you're partially to blame for 4ed? :devil:

Maybe. My friends and I made it better. :;):

I had a hard time warming up to it, myself -- still very attached to my 3rd-ed characters, storylines, etc. -- but I'm appreciating it now for what it is. I like the greater range of options for formerly simple classes (such as fighters) and especially the greater cooperation among characters, but I miss some of the former complexity of spellcasters. Ah well, my friends and I are having fun playing, whatever the edition.

Derek

Hey guys do you know a good tutorial to do a nice scalemail ?

I thought I had seen one somewhere, but I've just looked around briefly and not found anything.

Do you want diamond(lozenge-)shaped scales, or square scales, or round-bottomed fishlike scales, or something else?

I've made scales only a few times, but basically this is the process: add a smooth layer of putty, lightly score in (with a knife) the borders of all the scales; and then, working each scale from the bottom row upward, push in at the top of the scale and pull the bottom of the scale out a bit over the one below it. Neaten the edges at the end. Add ribbing or texture (such as a central ridge) to the scales if you want.

This picture shows an early figure (my 4th, I think), but I had just gotten advice on sculpting scalemail from Bobby Jackson and Sandy Garrity. It's supposed to be the skin of a young dragon, so there's some texture to the scales and different types of scales on the front and back. At least it looks better when painted. :;):

Derek

post-2358-1221881588_thumb.jpg

Thanks, mine is not that crisp. I think it will be better than nothing.

I wanted to do something like that ! post-4188-1221917300.jpg

Pictures !!!!!! Tell me what you think ! I have shaving to do on the head and I have to place a belt. The Cloth wings are coming (one of the last thing I'll add tho.) I have a mace to add and a sword. Oh you have to look at that begonia leaf, would it make a good shield ?

IMG_6639.jpg

So I am making the scalemail on the miniature by section, I know it's not the good way but I'm learning the technique.

IMG_6645.jpg

IMG_6646.jpg

IMG_6647.jpg

IMG_6648.jpg

IMG_6652.jpg

Please comment !

Thanks Pyreos, I am working my bottom out on that one. Learning by my mistake !

I hope to achieve a minimum of quality that will be my maximum for now. I hope to perform better at the next mini.

I'll make some cast of this one so that Meg paint one of them ;)

Pictures !!!!!! Tell me what you think ! I have shaving to do on the head and I have to place a belt.

Please comment !

Quite an improvement, keep going...

Thanks Tom ! I just redis the head for the 25th time !! I would like to see some lizard/dragon/humanoid head !

A quick question if I sell copies of the sculpt to finance my trip to reaper con would you be willing to buy one ? ;) ;) ;) LOL !

Thanks Tom ! I just redis the head for the 25th time !! I would like to see some lizard/dragon/humanoid head !

A quick question if I sell copies of the sculpt to finance my trip to reaper con would you be willing to buy one ? ;) ;) ;) LOL !

Send me a copy and I'll paint it up for you to showcase on your site and I can use it to showcase it on mine! LOL. We can sell each other!