joshuaslater

White Whale Miniature.

For a long time, I've been scouring ebay, looking in every old miniatures shop, going online, googling, searching, trying to find a discontinued model. It's Ral Partha 01-123 Drakken. It's become my proverbial white whale in the miniatures world.

What's yours?

It can be any genre of formerly produced minis, fantasy, sci-fi, etc.

For a long time, I've been scouring ebay, looking in every old miniatures shop, going online, googling, searching, trying to find a discontinued model. It's Ral Partha 01-123 Drakken. It's become my proverbial white whale in the miniatures world.

What's yours?

It can be any genre of formerly produced minis, fantasy, sci-fi, etc.

Can you get a link to a picture of that one? It sounds familiar, it might (heavy on the might there) be in one of my Ral Partha boxes.

http://dig.anthro.niu.edu/codex/ralparth/rp01123.jpg

Have to see if this takes. I've got one already but I'm looking for another one, possibly to have recast if I can get permission from Tom Meier or Iron Wind Metals. The model sold very poorly for RP back in the day, but nowadays, some more whimsical models sell a little better. If I can't do that, I'd love another one to paint, or just make resin copies for myself, not to sell, as I don't like thieves.

I've got three. I don't actively go searching for them, but when I see them, I usually pick them up. Unfortunatly, I don't know the names, or even who made a couple of them.

One is the Grav Chariot for the FASA game Circus Imperium - I beleive that was a Ral Partha mini

The second is a beast and rider from the Dark Sun setting. The beast looks like a lizard version of the star wars Taun Taun - again, I think that it was a Ral Partha figure.

The third is a group of beasts that I think were called Psion Hunters from the never released SJG's Space Knights game. I have no idea who produced those figures. I actually use them to make my own Grav Chariots for Circus Imperium.

Kristof, I have all three (if the Psion hunter looks like a spikey dog). My collection of Dark Sun miniatures is complete. (WooHoo!) The last two were made my Ral Partha. I think they did the chariot, too, but it might be RAFM.

I'm always looking for Grenadiers Shire Dragon, or any of the Dragon Lord II series. Someone posted that some Italian company is re-releasing those, if I recall.

Kristof, I have all three (if the Psion hunter looks like a spikey dog).

That could be one way to describe them. I found my one unopened pack over lunch - Space Knights 93-490 Psion Hunters, made by Ral Partha for SJG's never released Hot Lead minis game. There are three beasties per pack - two "prowling" and one leaping.

My personal piece is from Heritage Models and was released about the time that Quag Keep by Andre Norton was published. At the time this was probably on of the best fighters being made. Helm with a nose piece, longsword in the right hand and kite shield covering most of the front on the body in the left. He is leaning backwards a bit as his advesary in the pack is some flying beastie. I have one but have never seen that pack again, I don't even remember what the flying beastie was other than it had wings. There may have been a nearly naked maiden in the pack as well. That would have been late '70s early '80s and was prior to their Dungeon Dwellers line.

I wish it were just one, but unfortunately it's several. I'd really, really like to get my hands on the ElfQuest Miniatures that I believe either Heritage or Ral Partha put out many moons ago. I'd always been a big fan of the comics and while the sculpts aren't great, I'd still like to have the chance to paint my favorites comic book characters of all time.

I've been trying to snag them off eBay, but always seem to get sniped at the last minute :P

I saw those in the last day or two, but didn't bid on them. I agree with you about those. It would be nice to see those characters sculpted today!!

I've got three. I don't actively go searching for them, but when I see them, I usually pick them up. Unfortunatly, I don't know the names, or even who made a couple of them.

One is the Grav Chariot for the FASA game Circus Imperium - I beleive that was a Ral Partha mini

The second is a beast and rider from the Dark Sun setting. The beast looks like a lizard version of the star wars Taun Taun - again, I think that it was a Ral Partha figure.

The third is a group of beasts that I think were called Psion Hunters from the never released SJG's Space Knights game. I have no idea who produced those figures. I actually use them to make my own Grav Chariots for Circus Imperium.

The Circus Imperium Grav Chariot is still available through Iron Wind Metals. They're not in all the catalogs, but I asked a while back and they confirmed they'll still sell them. I've never gotten around to making the chariot track I planned to use them on, so I still use the large map and counters from the game. Their stock number was DS-154 for the whole chariot, DS-150 for a weapon spue, and DS-151-153 for gladiators. I was told they'd sell the chariot as bits, too.

The Psions had some cool looking figures, though we picked up more of the Space Knights and Centurions while they were available locally. We broke them all out of the blisters long ago, though, so I don't recall who made them, either.

I have all the Elfquest miniatures somewhere, buried in yet another box in the basement. There were done by Ral Partha.

I'm always looking for Grenadiers Shire Dragon, or any of the Dragon Lord II series. Someone posted that some Italian company is re-releasing those, if I recall.

Mirliton.ie

Most have them have come up on eBay at better rates, especially with shipping. I've sold several myself and still have the Iron Dragon around here somewhere.

I just completed my Grenadier Dragon Lords Series III dragon collection with Spectral II, the 5-headed one, so that's finally off the list. The one I would call my (main) white whale miniature right now is a Grenadier Bronze Dragon of Pern. I saw it on a store shelf once, but by the time I got the cash in hand, it was gone. Then years later one came up on eBay, without the box and the seller didn't know what he had, but still the bidding war got out of hand. I keep looking, though.

I have all the Elfquest miniatures somewhere, buried in yet another box in the basement. There were done by Ral Partha.

Anyone else getting the idea that maybe we should help Heisler clean his basement?

It's funny, but my post wasn't so much a cry for help, as commiserating!! It's always that elusive model, and when you find it, you don't always have the coin!!

I got lucky with the GW Talisman Pit Fighter model, and scored that for five bucks off a wall at Maplewood Hobby in New Jersey. I see it for twenty five bucks on ebay.

Whoa.