Steven Page

Tomb of the Iron God

"Swords and Wizardry" Core Rules, "Tomb of the Iron God" and "City Encounters" are all from Mythmere Games and trademarked by Matthew J. Finch, under the OGL and OGC. I am not affiliated with Mythmere Games or Matthew J. Finch.

Go to www.swordsandwizardry.com and follow the links to download or purchase hard copies of the rule, and "A quick Primer to Old School Gaming". AFTER we finish the "Tomb" module, purchase it and run it on your friends:-) Character sheets in several configurations are available at the site under "Free Stuff".

I will post about every other day. Often , if a group is in "Marching order", this will require actions only from the leaders. I will send a private message if I need to prod someone. I understand the pressures of today's world...

I am off work on Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays, and off every evening(life is good!). Anyone wanting to do some serious interaction with NPC's will find this a good time for it.

HOUSE RULES:

1. BANDAGING: Immediately after combat, characters can apply first aid, fixing 1d4 points of damage inflicted during that combat. Earlier damage is unaffected.

2. CRITICALS: Critical hits do an extra point of damage, per target level. Critical misses put one off balance, giving the attacker a -1 on his next attack.

3.In the Wilderness, I allow efforts at hunting and fishing. It stretches rations (and can lead to some good encounters).

4.HEALING POTIONS: I allow the sharing of potions. A "Healing" can cure 1d4 on two characters. 50% chance for the other point. An "Extra Healing" can cure 1d8+1 on three characters.

I'll add more as I think of them.

BACKGROUND

Espanola is a coastal land and a crossroads of the world. On the western end of the continent, it is a dividing point of northern and southern culture. In its port cities can be seen Northmen, painted Picts, the Yarabs from the south, Gallisans sailing their clumsy cogs. Every trade good imaginable can be found here: spices, precious metals, exotic beasts, rich fabrics and slaves. Fortunes are made, lost and made again in short order.

It is a land of war. Forces of the west and south have fortified enclaves and claim the land as their own. The lcal people carry on with their lives, knowing one master to be little different than another. Lawlessness prevails outside the cities.

It is a land of history, and pre-history, for stories are told of greatness before words were written, now lost.....

AUGUSTINA

Augustina is a small port on the northwest coast. Not far to the east is a ridge of mountains, said to be the home of bandits and worse. To the south are farmlands and olive groves. There are 2000 people living in the town, and trade is good.

THE BLADE AND TANKARD

The Blade and Tankard is an inn, right off the dockside, catering to mercenaries and adventurers. The proprietor, Pedro, spent his youth fighting in the south. He invested his earnings in the inn, and attracts those seeking to hire soldiers and explorers.

On this spring day, there is more commotion in the inn than usual. A large man. dressed in expensive, yet well-worn robes, is holding court at a corner table. He talks with tough-looking soldiers, some of very foreign origin. Most leave empty handed, but a few receive a hand clasp and a small purse. Two leave the room, talking openly.

"The payoff is good, and for only a few days work."

"Ya. I could make enough to book passage back to Hansaa. My love awaits me..and my wife." They laugh and turn down the street.

The large man turns his gaze around the room. His aide brings another huge flagon of wine. He still has men to hire.

The large man turns his gaze around the room. His aide brings another huge flagon of wine. He still has men to hire.

The slight, prematurely balding young man at the bar gulped down the swill that his few coppers and slight frame earned from the barkeep. He took a deep breath as if to build up his confidence. Here he was, willing and able to go adventuring and he couldn't even get up the nerve to approach someone looking for hires.

He stepped off his stool, corrected his fumbling feet midstep, ignored the snicker from the tough sitting next to him and approached the robed man. He carefully adjusted his own threadbare robes and removed his headscarf in respect, bowing his head.

"Excuse me, Sir, but I am to understand you are looking for adventurers and explorers? I would be honored to join your employ. I am Amarixes Rythykia, and I offer you my services."

The large man raised an eyebrow and suppressed a chuckle. Stroking his beard, he answered,

"I like respect in a young person. It shows a level of wisdom, or fear or something...Would that I had possessed the same..Well anyways, I am 'Orizon de Vallenz, depending upon one's viewpoint either a sage of note, or a complete charlatan. You may judge for yourself..as I judge your worth.

"I need something. A rare artifact that my studies lead me to believe is located in a cavern only a days walk from this town. I would retrieve it with my own hands, but alas, my girth and fondness for the varietal grape have limited my adventuring to the vicarious. What are your abilities, by the way? You don't have the cut of a warrior."

He picks up the flagon and drinks deeply.

The large man raised an eyebrow and suppressed a chuckle. Stroking his beard, he answered,

"I like respect in a young person. It shows a level of wisdom, or fear or something...Would that I had possessed the same..Well anyways, I am 'Orizon de Vallenz, depending upon one's viewpoint either a sage of note, or a complete charlatan. You may judge for yourself..as I judge your worth.

"I need something. A rare artifact that my studies lead me to believe is located in a cavern only a days walk from this town. I would retrieve it with my own hands, but alas, my girth and fondness for the varietal grape have limited my adventuring to the vicarious. What are your abilities, by the way? You don't have the cut of a warrior."

He picks up the flagon and drinks deeply.

I bow again.

"Thank you kindly, Sir. It is not my place to judge you on sight unseen, but it would seem that many are interested in your employ, so obviously your reputation precedes you."

I idly withdraw a coin from my pocket and make it dance between my fingers as I speak.

"Yes, I am not a man at arms, but instead, I come with knowledge and a thirst for learning. I also... er... have a few extra abilities that I've devoted my studies to."

With that, I make the coin disappear between my fingers and point to the space that Orizon's flagon once held, the coin lying there.

"Perhaps I might be able to offer my skills as someone who enjoys the ... er... more vigorous approach to finding knowledge? And I have learned a bit with being able to protect myself and others." I nod to my thick walking stick held in my hand.

'Orizon hands the coin back to the young man, indicates a chair, and pours Amarixes a cup of wine. "Well, fighters are easy enough to find. Learned folk are rare. You will do. Here is a small retainer to get a few things you might need. The Yarab I was speaking with earlier knows the area and can lead the party to the caverns. What I am seeking is a large brass bowl, carved with twelve images of the older gods. Those who assist me in recovering this item will share 1000 gold pieces, plus any plunder they might acquire on their own. Are you in?

He hands a purse with 25 gold pieces to the magic user.

'Orizon hands the coin back to the young man, indicates a chair, and pours Amarixes a cup of wine. "Well, fighters are easy enough to find. Learned folk are rare. You will do. Here is a small retainer to get a few things you might need. The Yarab I was speaking with earlier knows the area and can lead the party to the caverns. What I am seeking is a large brass bowl, carved with twelve images of the older gods. Those who assist me in recovering this item will share 1000 gold pieces, plus any plunder they might acquire on their own. Are you in?

He hands a purse with 25 gold pieces to the magic user.

I look down at the bag of gold and hear my stomach growl in anticipation of actually eating something decent tonight. I bow in thanks to Orizon and sip the wine slowly.

"Thank you Sir! What is the Yarab's name and when does he plan on gathering the party to head out? Will he be telling us more of these caverns and what we might be facing in the way of opposition to our retrieving the bowl?"

I take the small purse without opening it and slide it into my robes.

"There are a few more lads to talk with. Ibhrm el Rakim is the Yarab scout. Get some rest and meet back here tomorrow afternoon. Ibhrm will be back and can give you more information. Hopefully, the entire team will be hired by then."

Always on the lookout to earn some coin, the tough looking but slightly unkempt man with raven black hair begins to saunter up to the table. Even though he is more skilled with his sword than his eloquence, his self-confidence could be easily perceived by those in the room. With one hand carrying his tankard of ale and the other resting out of habit on the pommel of his sword, he approaches the table.

"I hear ye be lookin' to hire some adventurers. I be called Dukkor. I'm not a man of many words, always lettin' me sword do the talkin', but I place me sword at yer service if you'll have it."

Not waiting for his servant, 'Orizon pours another cup and passes it to the warrior.

"How much did you hear of my conversation with the small man ? I'm told I get loud when I'm drinking. Are you from the north?...And how many battles have you fought, street brawls not counting?"

Placing his tankard on the table and picking up the cup of wine, Dukkor raises the cup to 'Orizon "To yer health." then takes a drink.

"I did hear ye talkin' to the small man who just left, so I know ye be lookin' for a brass bowl in some caverns."

Taking another drink of the wine Dukkor continues, "Yes, I do come from the North. As to the number of battles I've been in, well, I've been in my share of scraps and always come out on top. I'll stand toe to toe with whatever be blockin' the path to yer bowl."

"I like your style.. "my bowl" that sounds good. Here is a st... some money. get sober, if need be and be back here tomorrow, ready for anything. .. Gilbert , get me another flagon or cask or something."

"Orizon rises halfway and clasps the arm of Dukkor., then drops back into his chair.

Dukkor gladly pockets the money, places the cup of wine on the table and picks the tankard back up.

"Thank ye, I'll be here tomorrow ready fer anything."

Stepping away from the table he heads back to the bar for one final drink for the day.

The door of the tavern swings open. A tall wiry figure in dusty black desert garb strides over to the table. He props his longbow up, leans against it slightly, and peers at the large man at the table. After a moment, he says in a low voice "Turleus Ba'dor.You have some work?"

Before the door close, another figure come in, a tall elf - says, as tall as a little man - with brown long hair and dark blue eyes, with hairy side-whiskers, wearing dusty travel clothes. He looks first at maids and girls, with an incredibly smart smile, and pose his bag, bow and axe on a table. "Spirits told me to come there, so I did. Perhaps were they mischievous or mad spirits, but who knows? I'm Gwynned from the old valley, and I'm [roll dice] a magician. Happy to meet you!".