morganm

Why do you choose Reaper?

I appreciate the sheer variety of sculpts. Well beyond basic guys in armor with swords, Reaper offers tons of different types of people-minis, and puts them in interesting poses. Then there's the critters available. Who else would make a stone golem that looks like a hippo?

It has to be the overall package that draws me in. They have some of the best sculpts in the buisness with the best known names in sculpting. Their customer service is second to none and they go out of their way to make sure things are right. They have fun games and they actually listen to your comments about the games and ways to make them better.

It takes a combination like this to really stand out on top like Reaper does.

Customer service- that's it. Thier pics are very good representation of what your getting, they ship fast, thier prices are affordable and I love the variety in thier line, which all boils down to great customer service. While I have tried a couple of Darksword mini's I keep going back to Reaper, wether it is on-line ordering-or driving 200 miles to my FNSLGS (Friendly Not-So-Local Gaming Store) to pick up mini's. Keep up the good work reaper, any you'll always have me as a customer and fan!

I buy Reaper minis because they make great miniatures. Same reason I buy minis from any company. If they started making crap miniatures I'd stop buying them. Nothing personal. They are a great company to deal with but it comes down to the minis.

I buy Reaper for lots of reasons. First and foremost is choice. The range is so extensive that I can always find something I want to paint. Second is quality. I have yet to buy a reaper mini with casting flaws which is more than be said for other manufacturers. Last (but by no means least) is design. Reaper minis are just so cool!

What Chastity said.

I'll add that I buy from just about any company if I like what they sell, but Reaper is always one of the companies I buy from. I like Heresy and Hasslefree, and lately have spent more on them, but there's always a Reaper mini floating through my transom at some point.

Edit: I'm'a add the idea that buying from another company is not the same a choosing them over Reaper in this hobby. I doubt there's anyone on this forum or in the world that only has models from one company.

I buy reaper minis because

1) the quality and detail in the sculpts.

2) they continue to produce subjects that are interesting to me

3) the price can't be beat!

4) the customer service is great

5) the people at Reaper are just awesome.

Good enough?

Not good enough. We really want to know if you're wearing your official Reaper robes, and that you're drinkin' the special Kool-Aid that Ed Pugh is stirrin' up.

That's the real reason I buy anything Reaper.

Minis: Good quality and low-ish cost (there are cheaper minis out there). Honestly, I expect good customer service and consider that part of the quality equation.

Paints: Great quality. I've tried Vallejo and GW, wasn't impressed. Craft paints are cheaper, but don't give me the results I get with Reaper.

Rulesets: I like Warlord and the fact that you can get into the game for a low price (of course, now I play the antithesis of a 'low price' army - a Goblin/Hill Giant horde).

While I appreciate the fact that ReaperPeeps are cool, that's just a bonus. There are plenty of companies I think are cool that don't earn my business (especially game companies) - much less get me to demo their product. And yes, there are also companies that I could care less about that do earn my business, but those are usually more mainstream companies.

I started buying Reaper figures because Spike needed a D&D character figure, and post-RP, Reaper was the only game in town for female figures. I started playing Mordheim, using the great variety of Reapers to augment/replace the GW sculpts. Then came Warlord.

Now I'm part of the "Traditional Role-playing Retro" movement, playing Swords and Wizardry, and Reaper is still the only viable choice for stocking a dungeon, choosing hero characters, and building that group of 30-300 brigands. The fact that the sculpts are great, the quality excellent,and the service always friendly doesn't hurt either.

Good miniatures, good paints, good prices, and good people.

That's a pretty good mix for earning my money.

Origins 1993, Ft. Worth, TX. There were some guys in the vendor hall with bins of $1 figures. I bought a bunch. And I continued buying them for the next few years because they were cheaper than anybody elses figures, and they had a good selection of female characters. Reaper was selling for $1 or $1.25 when other minis were $1.99 or $2.50! I swore I'd never pay $2.50 for a mini...

And then for a while there Reaper just didn't do it for me. All of the sculpts started looking the same to me. I already had boxes of female mages with staffs and males in plate.... so I stopped buying. I still have very few of the 2200, 2300, and 2400 series.

But all things cycle around and it was the 2500's that got me interested again, I started noticing Werner Klocke, and I think Julie Guthrie was doing a lot more around then, and the sculpts started getting interesting. I started seeing more than the same old stick figure poses.

So it was price at first, then eventually the quality and originality that kept me as a customer. I don't think Reaper has the best prices these days, but the quality is there and most of the figures are worth the price.

As for the paints, 3 years ago my craft paint started drying up and I looked around at other hobby brands. I found GW too gloppy, and Vallejo too shiny, and PP3 too muddy, and there was some other brand ..... that ... just... would... not.... dry.... But RMS was just right for the way I wanted to use it, so I stuck with it. I've had the good fortune to get a lot of it at either a clearance price or with a Reaper gift certificate, and that has made it easier to swallow the $3 a bottle price. I wouldn't have nearly so much of it if I'd had to buy it all at retail. Honestly, I love this hobby, but $150 for paints...