13 replies to this topic

#1 TheDungeonDelver

TheDungeonDelver

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

Or (and I'm afraid to ask) are there any "future releases"? Any for 2009? 2010? 2011? I'm not asking because I don't like them - I'm asking because I do!
The Delver's Dungeon has a new home! www.thedelversdungeon.com

#2 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5826 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

So you are saying you don't like the preview section? previews
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#3 TheDungeonDelver

TheDungeonDelver

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

So you are saying you don't like the preview section? previews

I didn't see any Legendary Adventure minis therein...maybe I'm just missing something??

#4 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5826 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

Opps sorry, didn't see what section this was actually in.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#5 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 8642 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

We had some delays with "wave 3" and are working on something to resolve it. The pics are down because the exact selection of figures and paint schemes were part of the delay...

bryan@reapermini.com This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

#6 TheDungeonDelver

TheDungeonDelver

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:17 PM

We had some delays with "wave 3" and are working on something to resolve it. The pics are down because the exact selection of figures and paint schemes were part of the delay...

Ah so. Thanks for the heads-up.

#7 ReaperClark

ReaperClark

What Miniatures Should Look Like

• Bones Supporter
  • 542 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:36 AM

are there any "future releases"?

Ok, I wasn't abel to get this going as fast as I had hoped. There are a lot of logistics involved with this whole process. Since it isn't done in house, there is a lot of up front work that has to be done and not enough time to do it!

Anyhoo,

We have the next lot ready to go over for a quote, now we just have to snap the photos and write up the paperwork. Ed has been out of the office this week, so we hope to get r done next week.

I doubt if we will show previews of upcoming figs until we actually get a quote and place the order. Once this occurs, I will try to get previews up ASAP. We have discovered that what we send over is not always "doable" so there is no point in getting your hopes up for something until we know for sure we are going to order it.

I can tell you, part of getting ready was selecting the first 100 minis or so that we are thinking of doing in plastic. This will help us keep things moving forward at a steady pace (I hope!).

It is still my goal to offer 4-6 new pieces, every other month, from the next release forward. It's just getting the first one going! Eee-gads!

We are doing our best on this end!
Matt Clark Production Director Reaper Miniatures

#8 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

I love the sound of almost all of that and thank you for that. The one key thing that I see in there and want to ask about is where you said you already picked the first 100 models to go..

Does that mean that the first 100 plastics are all going to be already existing and in some cases older been around for a long time metal?

Are there not going to be plastics that will be done "at the same time" or maybe even before metal versions? That was one of the things that has held me back from being able to show Reaper that I support this whole project. I love the idea of the PPPs and want to buy some. But admittedly at this time I only have a couple of them. Most of the minis that are currently available, I dont need as I already have a bunch in metal (like crusader knights, goblins, etc...) and as much as I do like the idea of buying PPP soldiers so I dont have to spend the time painting them, if I already have a ton I dont care to buy a bunch more just to buy them.

If I find out that the "next" few batches of PPPs to be done are going to be more of the models that have been available for 2+ years and that I already have a ton of, then again I will be hard pressed to be able to show the fact that I really do like the idea of the PPPs. Whereas if I find out that something that you released in the last month or two (something like soldiers that I might have bought a couple of but not yet bought a bunch of), or better something that is scheduled to release in a month or two from now, is going to have a PPP available for purchase in the next 3-4 months, then I would be very excited to show Reaper my support for the project.

How about non painted plastics? Think there is a chance for some of those to get released for cheaper?

#9 ReaperClark

ReaperClark

What Miniatures Should Look Like

• Bones Supporter
  • 542 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

Does that mean that the first 100 plastics are all going to be already existing and in some cases older been around for a long time metal?

The 100 are just so we can stay on top of a list. They are not set in stone and we can adjust when we want or need to. It is just a starting point. I really can't say either way on this subject, other than to say we will remain as flexible as we can so that we can give what we feel are the best choices for us to offer. We have talked about Chronoscope pieces and pieces especially for plastic, so I am sure we will have a variety of stuff going on in Legendary Encounters.

As we move further into this thing, I hope we can do some models using clear and colored clear plastics. For instance, a batch might be all fire or water related minis so that we can have them made from clear red or blue. At some point larger pieces. The bigger the model the less that fits on a mold and therefore the more expensive the model becomes to make. A really big model might take more than one mold, which will then cause a lot of tooling costs to be deferred into that one model. Unless we know we are going to sell a jack ton of the model, a big model is cost prohibitive right now. It is mostly a matter of tooling costs verses return, and then the gut feeling of whether or not a model will sell at the price we have to sell it for. There are a lot of factors involved. I should think, as we establish the line and it grows, that we will be able to do more and more groovy stuff because they will be selling more and more.

How about non painted plastics? Think there is a chance for some of those to get released for cheaper?

The cost of getting them painted over not painted is so negligible, I don't know how much cheaper we could really offer unpainted plastics.
Matt Clark Production Director Reaper Miniatures

#10 Enpeze

Enpeze

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:06 AM

I would really like to have some more PPMs. I am an avid Savage Worlds/D&D player and I need for our games ALOT of minis. (I have over 1000 PPM mostly from DDM but also some from you and Rackham -maybe I should stop buying :))

BUT 2 things. For us roleplayers it would be better to have standard bases for the minis. (1" for medium minis, 2" for large etc.) This is necessary to fit on the standard square floorplans from WotC and other rpg systems. Your minis are painted mostly much better than those of WotC but the lack of proper bases limits the usability a little bit. I mean every mini has round bases, only the reaper ones not. This is disturbing for the eyes. Its not a big gripe, but having normal bases would make your minis perfekt.

Second. I ask whats the necessity to release another bunch of orcs or skeletons? They are good minis, but I can buy 3 WotC orks for our play instead of 1 Reaper and pay the same. Not that your minis are too expensive. But I think you should concentrate on which WotC minis are missing/expensive in the DDM set and at the same time are very popular by the rpg fans. This would be much more attractive to buy. (BTW I just see that you did it with the Bathalian, Illithid - thats good) A small list of minis for which I think is a need out there because they are too expensive, sold out or simply not existent in the DDM line:

-Sahaguins
-Driders
-Stirges
-merfolk
-Scorpionmen
-Giant scorpions
-amberhulk
-gremlins (tiny bad minimonsters, either with tiny base like the pseudodragon of WotC or several on a single base)
-Pegasus (the one of WotC is rare and not very beautiful)
-different kinds of fantasy dinosaurus for lost world kind of adventures
-several types of devils and demons (some large demons/devils are not existent in the WotC line or have a only a bad, ridicolous model or are rare and really expensive, Baalor, Glabrezu, Succubus or Pitfiend for example)
-Genasi
-Aboleths!
-Dragonborn or a substitute race
-underwater creatures like sharks, octopi, kraken, dragonturtle etc.
-githianki, gitzerai (wotc have only a small selection)
-fey - what about a small cheap fey types? or a whole fey package with fey queen, fey knight, pucks etc.?
-duergar (WotC has only 2 different duergar and those are in older sets, so a collection of different duergar plus riding beasts would be fine)
-Giant Snakes (real big ones :))
-different kinds of dragons (especially large ones, the ones of WotC are quite expensive)
-Behir
-Rakshasas
-different riding beasts like horses, camel, mules, pack-lizards, griffons etc.

Additonally, did you ever think to make a PPMs for the roleplaying fans of the new pathfinder from paizo? Maybe this company is looking for professionals which are able to produce PPMs?

finally, thanks for your good work. I really enjoy it.

#11 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

God of Overly Complex Tactics and Tactical Errors

• Members
  • 8661 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

Remember, what is "perfect" for your system is "flat wrong" for others.

I'm not so sure I'd want to get hit by a missile with a "dog brain" AI.
My blog:  http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/

#12 Enpeze

Enpeze

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:06 PM

Remember, what is "perfect" for your system is "flat wrong" for others.

yes maybe. I am not saying that I am the last authority behind the matter. But I think that the main customers base of reapers plastic minis are roleplayers and the vast majority of these roleplayers are (pure statistic) dnd players of the systems 3.5 and 4. There could be other customers, maybe even reaper fans which buy everything but I think these are not many. The majority of customers of PPM are of course people (mostly roleplayers) which dont like to paint or model by themselves. These customers like just to play with their toy monsters, no tinkering around with bases, nothing of this. No assembling, no painting, just unpack the mini and begin to play their DnD on the battleboard. Its like a toy for us, to touch, squeeze and to push around, not a classical model.

And certainly those DnD players are used to round bases. I am not sure how successful reapers PPM line is, but I guess it could be better, if one consider the small amount of minis which have been released up to date. One of the reasons is IMO that reaper produces not fully according to the requirements of its potential customer base. (which is only partially overlapping the customer base of their lead products)

To say it short. IMO Reaper could sell alot more PPMs to those numerous crowd (according to WotC several millions but I dont believe this) of 4e players which are dependant on miniature play in the new edition. We know the reaper minis are better sculpted and painted. But why dont hundred of thousands DnD players buy those more beautiful reaper minis like mad? One of the reasons is the lack of compatible bases.

So the result is that most of DnD players I know dont buy reaper PPMs despite their greater beauty. Instead its not unusual that they spend 50$+ per month for WotC PPMs regularly. Even if I show them my small reaper collection, the first complaint is "come on - look at the bases".

But maybe I am wrong and Reaper is doing everything right and makes a small fortune with the PPMs. Who knows? :)

#13 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

God of Overly Complex Tactics and Tactical Errors

• Members
  • 8661 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that they've had a hard time keeping them in stock. IMNSHO, the base is a rather trivial thing to get hung up on because it's such an easy fix. I think their solution was to make the bases enough to keep the mini up (mostly) and equally distasteful to everyone. Don't know if that was the actual thought process or it was just a continuation of the bases typical to their DHL line (which is more likely the case, Ron, if you'd care to enlighten us that'd be great).

Honestly, I'd rather see them making a small fortune selling CAV minis, but that's a rant for another day.

I'm not so sure I'd want to get hit by a missile with a "dog brain" AI.
My blog:  http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/

#14 DARK ELF

DARK ELF

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

new bases would be nice,but its not goin'to stop me from buyin'! and i have them all!! ;)
"Hold fast to the truth, for the truth is a pillar. a steadfast pillar that all that all the world cannot shake"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users