Sign in to follow this  
joshuaslater

Show Off changes.

Fellow forumites, and the good folks at Reaper: is it time to expand the forum into separate show off sections for CAV, DHL, Warlord, RotD, and OPP? Other. People's. Pewter.

I'm asking because I think it would be cool. Over on the Forum of Doom, which for those who don't know, is the combined forums for Heresy, Hasslefree, Eaolith(Spyglass) and Black Scorpion miniatures, they've got separate areas to post painted pics for each company.

Even with four companies on one forum, they prolly don't have the sheer number of models from all of Reaper's years of growth, but I think they are on to something.

On my home forum for Chronopia and Warzone, we've set up threads for people to post pics of their armies from the extensive lists of both games.

The idea basically means you can peruse the painted goodness of any particular models you happen to dig.

I don't know if Reaper would want to break down everything to the minutiae, but I think having four threads would be tidier than having all Reaper stuff in the same section.

Thoughts?

P.S. In the painted gallery on reapermini, I'm not seeing the CAV tag, just the open market.

Cheers.

I don't think it's really necessary, to be honest.

If you did so, it would probably make more sense to have DHL/Warlord combined (so just plain fantasy).

If we had CAV, Fantasy, RotD, and OPP, you'd have 2 forums that would get the bulk of the posts. The other two would be completely dead. Where would chronoscope go?

I can already view models that I like just based on the names.

Completely dead? RoTD is coming. CAV is still going, as I struggle to paint mine. Sidebar: CAVs are not easy to paint!!!!!!!

I like your breakdown:

DHL/Warlord/Fantasy

Chronoscope/RotD

CAV.

Three could work. Wait, we'd still need a "Froggy Gallery"

There's a thread from months ago where Kit was talking about putting the cream of the forum crop in the painted gallery on the main site, so I don't think it'd be necessary at all to split the forum. Also, on the same note, with all of the other stuff going on, I don't think trying to invent even more things for Kit to do is productive at all, as he's already a busy code ninja as is ::D:.

Proochases have no effect on Kit. Sorry.

Personally I like the mixed Show Off forum. I look at models I probably would never see if they were in a separate section. The subject lines are clear enough - if you don't want to see CAV then don't look at the threads.

I really don't see what your suggestion would accomplish. I know I'd like it if people put the figure number in the subject line but I'm really guilty of not doing that too.

We're on the same page there Marie. I would love it if everyone posted the model number; then I can go buy it!!!

The idea is just conversation at this point. I feel that having galleries that are separate would encourage more people to post their painted figs, and more importantly help in deciding what to buy.

When I go to the Forum of Doom and check out their painting sections, it's usually to see what the unpainted pewter I may be mulling over buying looks like painted up. Not every model in a mini company's catalog is painted, or painted at release.

I've made many a buying decision from seeing painted models. Example: I bought one of Hasslefree's White Metal models. It's a Kiergi brute, an alien like model that would fit in the Chronoscope line perfectly. Having seen painted pics of the smaller Kiergi models, which I didn't think much of, I've decided to buy about eight of them. They were in the Hasslefree section.

I'm fairly certain that in the rough and tumble world of miniatures I'm not the only guy, or gal, to make a purchasing decision from seeing a painted pic of a model.

I'm fairly certain that in the rough and tumble world of miniatures I'm not the only guy, or gal, to make a purchasing decision from seeing a painted pic of a model.

I'm right with you there. It's one of the reasons I love Rackham metals. The paintjobs just look really cool on their site.

However, I'm of the opinion that the paintjobs in the GW big ol' catalog are a) too small and b) crappy. Therefore, I've never even been tempted to buy anything of theirs from looking at their catalog.

In summary -- well painted figures increase the chance of me buying said figure; poorly painted figures decrease the chance of me buying said figure.

The fact painted models help sell the unpainted is pretty well known (otherwise you wouldn't have staff painters like Anne running around), but I'm curious as to why people would be encouraged to post pictures more if the forums were seperated; that makes no sense to me. I don't think I've heard a single person say, "Well, I would post more pictures, but I don't want my DHL mini being next to a CAV one."

The quality of paint that forumite are slingin' around here is pretty high, in my opinion. I've seen some mind blowing stuff.

Edit: So far, it's about three "nays" and a pm asking me if I was serious. Is this idea completely barmy?

I haven't heard anyone say that they wouldn't post a CAV next to a DHL model, but it's just a gut instinct that people might like the groupings.

I've only been on the FoD briefly (and lurking for the most part), but I don't even look at the galleries because I don't want to have to go through a bunch of sub-forums to find stuff.

Accessibility is something to consider. I find it's not so bad scrolling down to the painting section. It's one click for me.

Another thing to consider: If someone stumbles on the Reaper forums, or is new to the hobby, I wonder if the sections would be more positive than negative.

I like the mixed Show Off. I don't really care about DHL vs. CAV vs RotD, or having non-Reaper models mixed in. All it would be for me is more inconvenient because I'd have to view multiple threads to see all the posts rather than get them all in one.

There's also already the Speed/Army/TableTop section, if people want to post complete armies a separate area.

And, if I want to see a painted version of a mini for the purpose of deciding if I want to buy it or not, I can search for painted pics of any particular mini in the miniature finder area on the main page.

I like the mixed show-off section too.

One improvement I might make would be to add a new forum exclusively for people to ask for critique. I belong to a photography forum that has done something like that, and it seems that everybody is happy. Those that want critique get to hear all the good and bad about their minis, and those who just want to show what they've painted can do so without fear somebody will nitpick everything about it apart.

I will say it's easy going to one place. The idea came about, not as a complaint, but as discussion. Now that Reaper is going with more lines than ever, especially in my time here, they've got as much going on as four smaller companies.

So far, the nays are overwhelming, I'm thinking everyone!

Nay. I prefer the mixed format. I have always thought of Show Off as an open display shelf where folks can post, get an attaboy or critique. One place to look to give attaboys and critiques, too. Keep it simple, no one has to go looking through multiple threads to find them. As for shopping options, there seem to be plenty. I can't say I have ever gone looking at Show Off to figure out my next purchase, and I think I would be put off by trying to categorize things. For a contest where someone mixes several lines in a diorama, then what? Chronoscope? I think Reaper has both enough to do and enough marketing channels.