Accurate uniform colors using MSPs?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Froggy the Great

Froggy the Great

Apostrophe Ninja

• 17240 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

Ok, I'm not a Historicals player, but if I'm painting historical figures I want them to at least pass the "initial-plausibility" test.

What MSP colors would I use to fairly accurately represent the uniforms on GIs and the Nazi figures? I'm looking for a specific recipe rather than a reference photo (though those would help for insignia placement). This is because I am slightly colorblind and do fine with bolder colors, but the more subdued uniform colors of the period play havok with my color vision.

Thank you!

"You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up."

Spoiler

Gallery of Froggyness

irc.sorcery.net #reaper

Wonderland No More

#2 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6384 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

Someone managed to rescue Anne's work on MSP equivalents for WWII uniforms: WWII Uniform MSP Colors
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#3 Froggy the Great

Froggy the Great

Apostrophe Ninja

• 17240 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

While that site is tantalizing, all the useful uniform information links to thewolfhound.com, which does not exist.

"You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up."

Spoiler

Gallery of Froggyness

irc.sorcery.net #reaper

Wonderland No More

#4 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6384 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

Scroll down towards the bottom of the list and you will find the what Anne mixed to get the uniform colors. Yes Wolfhound went down in one of the Reaper server crashes and apparently had never been backed up. A lot of work done by a lot of people including Matt, Anne and myself was lost.

Edited by Heisler, 05 April 2009 - 11:29 AM.

* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V

#5 Froggy the Great

Froggy the Great

Apostrophe Ninja

• 17240 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:23 AM

I didn't see that part at first, thanks. That's still an awful lot of information to compile from disparate sources.

Spoiler

Gallery of Froggyness

irc.sorcery.net #reaper

Wonderland No More

#6 Don Rodolfo Graziani

Don Rodolfo Graziani

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

For myself, I'm using the following mix on Kroids:

Moldy Skin (highlighted up towards white)
Ghoul Skin (base color)
Olive Drab (main shadow)
Olive Shadow (for the deepest shadows and lining)

Of course, my own figures got washed out as I went since I was looking for that long dead look (and then promptly painted the skin as freshly dead instead of matching the uniform color :blush: ). My next group will be worked on with just this recipe (and a hideous rotting skin condition :lol: ). In forming this mix I was looking at color swatches I made of my Vallejo model color German Field Grey as well as a German trenchcoat I wear for IF it gets cold enough to warrant such extreme measures (a rare thing here).
Just my 2 cents.
I don't have any American forces to offer suggestions there yet. I've been thinking of just an Olive Drag triad scheme but would welcome other suggestions.
::):

DRG
There are things about me you wouldn't understand.....
things you....couldn't....understand......
things you....shouldn't......understand.....
I'm a loner, Dottie......a rebel!

Posted Image

#7 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6384 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

Those are good skin colors but he's looking for uniform colors. US uniforms were not actually Olive Drab, but the olive drab triad would be close enough for a later war uniform. The early uniforms from the landings in Tunisia up through D-Day are really brown pants and khaki shirts and jackets (despite what Hollywood would like to tell you). A good starting point on the web is US Uniforms. Again after a uniform has been worn in the field and gone through a battle or two if your colors are close that's good enough.

#8 Don Rodolfo Graziani

Don Rodolfo Graziani

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

Sorry, Heisler. I can see where you are seeing the mistake in my post (I wasn't terribly clear). The colors I listed are actually my choices for uniform color. Afraid my skin mix was the Rosy triad with a touch of carnage red for a fresh corpse look.
Ghoul Skin, IMO, really captures the look of German Field Grey. The other colors work to lighten and darken to a really nice degree (not that you can tell from my bad pic-fu and over highlighted figures ::): ).

DRG
There are things about me you wouldn't understand.....
things you....couldn't....understand......
things you....shouldn't......understand.....
I'm a loner, Dottie......a rebel!

Posted Image

#9 Lars Porsenna

Lars Porsenna

Godlike

• Members
  • 5537 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:55 AM

For US uniforms on historical figures, I use either Olive Drab for the HBT uniforms (jacket distinguishabe by baloon pockets and more length) or field drab for the trowsers (the wool versions...incidentially the uniform worn in Tunisia can still be seen in service on VE day...it wasn't thrown out or anything), and Iraqi sand for the combat jacket. Incidentially, the cut of the HBT trousers and the older wool trousers are indistingushable at the figure scale, so it is entirely possible to give the figures a mix of HBT trowsers or wool trowsers for variety (and if you're using the Reaper figures for US troops -- which I'm personally not happy about -- you'll need it). Web gear should be some sort of shade of khaki, either a washed out tan or a slight greenish tan. Boots during this era for US troops were a subdued brown leather (though some officers had their troops scrape the boots and polish them anyway!)

For Germans, it depends on the era. For early war, I use Vallejo Model Color Feldgrau, but for latewar, a lighter, greeish grey is more appropriate (the wool-rayon mix shifted from dominantly wool to dominantly rayon, shifting the color), and for that I like Polly Scale's Feldgrau. German uniforms could also be a brownish or olive color late war too. Black uniforms would only be used by either tank crews, or the Allegemeine SS (not combat troops). Boots, either jackboots or combat shoes were always black for either the Waffen SS or the Heer. Web gear was either black leather, or khaki canvas. AFAIK ammo pouches were always leather. MP pouches were a khaki or (in some cases) lbrown leather.The breadbag should be either a khaki color or dirty greyish linen color. Gas mask and helmet would be a very dark Feldgrau color, with the helmet approaching dark grey (I personally mix black into feldgrau for that stuff). Canteens would either be brown felt, or in some cases feldgrau felt, with feldgrau metal accessories (like the cup).

LMK if you need any more.

Damon.
-The Serial Crusher.
-Godlike since 9-09-04.
-My book blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
-My Minis blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
-My thoughts on D&D 4e: Link
-"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
-"Warhammer40000 is your Standard Sci Fi Setting injected with a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Starship Troopers and Star Wars, bathed in blood and turned up to eleventy billion (and then set on fire). Twice. With chainsaws." Quote

#10 SaintRigger

SaintRigger

Evil Mastermind

• Black Lightning
  • 4045 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

Lars -

I think he was looking for RMS formulas.
Posted Image

we want revolution, constant evolution
start your engines blow your fuses
burn the bridges for the future

#11 Lars Porsenna

Lars Porsenna

Godlike

• Members
  • 5537 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, but he can then use that page to cross reference colors.

I note there was no RMS mix for field drab though...

Damon.
-The Serial Crusher.
-Godlike since 9-09-04.
-My book blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
-My Minis blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
-My thoughts on D&D 4e: Link
-"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
-"Warhammer40000 is your Standard Sci Fi Setting injected with a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Starship Troopers and Star Wars, bathed in blood and turned up to eleventy billion (and then set on fire). Twice. With chainsaws." Quote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users