Sign in to follow this  
joshuaslater

Ancient Settings.

Has anyone run a roleplaying game in a more ancient feel setting? By that I mean similar to Roman times. I've watched the HBO series, and it really gets the feel for times like this.

Without going into all the detail of the setting I'm after, I'm specifically asking about ancient traditions, in particular, slavery.

Slavery is anathema to modern people, at least the ones I game with, and getting the PC's to roleplay in a setting where slavery is the norm may be challenging, even though the group is intelligent, and all of them are more mature than me and my childish antics on the Reaper forums.

I'm using Reaper's Taltos setting as a middle ground, so to speak, in the Chronopia setting. It seems like a natural fit in between the Blackblood Empire of Ogres, Orcs, Goblins and Trolls, based loosely on the Persians, and the Firstborn kingdom, which approximates Rome.

Taltos will be set on a large island in between the two cultures, similar to Crete, and much like Constantinople with it's East/West vibe.

I've got a setting book on Ancient Rome from Mythic Vistas, which is helpful, but if anyone can point me in the direction of good source material or personal experience, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers.

Since you mention slavery specifically how much of a role do you see it being in the game play? If it just 'is' then you should be fine. If you're playing Roman-style times slaves may have been the norm but they were allowed to buy their freedom and had rights. So consider them servants you don't have to pay and you'll be fine.

Unless it's a major focus of your game I'd say it's almost a non-issue.

Those times are full of all kinds of other issues that will plague your players besides the slavery one.

Well, "personal experience": the last time Theodoric and I sacked Rome....wait that was in a game:-)

I am currently reading an excellent series of books I picked up on Amazon for next to nothing. Two that might help you are "Everyday Life in Roman and Anglo-Saxon Times", by Marjorie and C.H.B. Quennell and "Everyday Life of the Barbarians" by Malcolm Todd. The first book deals more with Roman Britain, but is still good.

For more fun, mix in some Roman client-patron customs, and you have some good motivators for adventures (i.e. all the PCs are the clients of a patrician).

Hmmm Orcs as persians? Of course they must be Sassanian Orcs. Hmmmm...orcish Clibanarii...

Damon.

Rastl, I see what you mean by the focus from a GM standpoint. For the players, I'll just have to hope they can break from the traditional good guys/bad guys mentality, and not turn into sociopath players. I think my group can handle it, but it's something I'd like to read up on before going full tilt.

Thanks for the suggestions on reading material, all.

I've read lots of Howard, but bikerdrew, you're right on the money with the setting I'm working towards. I'm going to outright steal from the Conan stories, and maybe buying the RPG book/s would be a good way to have that material put down for gaming, even if we're not throwing twenty siders.