Qwyksilver

Reven

135 posts in this topic

Yea, but isn't he a unique? I was already thinking of using his stats for a character, but I'm looking for something that can be used as standard troops.

It's an Elite, but no, it's not unique. It isn't intended to be a soldier model, but then again, it isn't a member of the Orc faction either, so aren't we splitting hairs at that point? You are already "off the reservation" for a legal army.

If you want something with weaker stats at a lower cost, why not just use the Dire Boar card from Kragmarr?

~v

Edited by Shakandara

Very true.. I was moreso concerned if he had any special rules that make him broken if there are more than 1 of him on the table.

Eh, there is always the possibility of introducing some margin of error into the game when you start monkeying around with datacards that don't exist in a given faction, or by changing the nature of an existing datacard. It's hard to say whether or not turning Durthen into an orc cavalry soldier would be game breaking without play testing it.

~v

Yea.. once I get a better feel of the special rules, stats, and point cost for everything.. I'll work on knocking down his stats, making him cheaper and then making him a troop.

I know this might be a question that only the game designers might now... but do you think the points for Varaug would be if it only had 4 damage tracks instead of 5? Odd question I know, but I'm trying to get a general sense of how points are calculated in as much of a vacuum as possible (of course entire army list make-up affects the final cost).

First, Varaug is 6 DTs, not 5 (0 is the first DT, when you are unwounded). So you are actually asking about the difference between a 6 DT Varaug, and a 5 DT version.

I was on the design team. While I don't have access to the points calculator at this time, I can tell you the synergies and interactions are really just too complex to "guess" at. There are so many things that interact; for example, more DTs on a model with DR make it even more dangerous that normal, as it is unlikely that a single attacker, and maybe even multiple models, can take it out in a single action. This means that the DR resets, and the next set of attacks coming against it have to go through DR again. The more DTs it has, the more likely this is to repeat, and the more powerful DR becomes on that model. But give that model, say, Fearsome, and it becomes even more powerful (almost exponentially so), as models trying to engage it now must make Discipline checks. Those checks will result (on average) in less successful attempts at basing the Fearsome DR model, decreasing the change that attacks will get past its DR, and increasing the chance that not only will it survive longer, but do so at closer to peak (unwounded) performance.

I guess about the best advice I can offer, is look for another model out there with similar general stats, but one less DT. In this case, I think General Matisse from the O'lords would be pretty good. He has a lower move, but similar values in Dis, DV, MD, #MA, and most of the general abilities. He does have a slightly higher MAV, but has less melee SAs (although the ones he has are very good in combination with his stats). I think he's probably a shade higher in points cost than a downgraded Varaug would be, but that's just a guess.

~v

Edited by Shakandara

You're absolutely right, I forgot to count the 0 track.

Thanks for the advice once again (you're always of great help here).. so you think a 1 DT downgraded Varaug would be roughly 135 pts?

Edited by gorenut

Yeah, and I'd probably eliminate track 3 or so to get a good looking progression. That last track should look more like Matisse's last track than Varaug's 2nd last track. Does that make sense?

~v

absolutely.. didn't even think about it from the standpoint of which specific track to knock off but you're completely correct. Thanks again.

Okay team gemini! I am new to warlord... and I understand it is not as popular as I would like it to be... thats okay :unsure:

Either way, here is my planned list, if I could get feedback, I would appreciate it.

Reven - 999 points

Troop 1
Varaug the Great, Bull Orc
Ombur Skulltooth, Bull Orc
Gaaguk, Bull Orc Berserker
Bull Orc Berserker x 7
Armor of Courage
Bonesplitter

Troop 2
Urga, Beastman
Traeg, Beastman Hero
Beastman Woodcutter x 6
Armor of Courage

Troop 3
Harpy x 6

Troop 4
Nhoolyan, Hunting Beast

Troop 5
Luck Stone

Troop 1

is all crazy killfest style, get in close, and get angry Ombur is there to support  Varaug and Nhoolyan as they will rush togather (Beast being a meat shield/ one hitter quitter.

Troop 2

I really wanted to incorperate beastmen as they are well worth while, and Urga is basicaly designed for this exact settup

Troop 3

Shock troop.

Edited by Orange
1 person likes this

The Beastmen just have to last long enough to put some wounds on the enemy.  The Bloodlust on the Orcs will benefit.  The Harpies need to go out there and get the enemy spellcasters.  Looks like a good list to try.  You may end up mixing in different troops after you see the stacking of bonuses with some Bull Orc Spearmen.

Let us know how it plays.

Posted (edited)

Okay, this list is just a shameless exploit of the Reven noghra Doctrine, but do you think that the list is viable.

999pts

Squad 1 (102)
Dantral Half-orc
Goblin Warrior x6

Squad 2 (60)
Ogg Goblin Beastrider
Goblin Warrior x2

Squad 3 (60)
Ogg Goblin Beastrider
Goblin Warrior x2

Squad 4 (60)
Ogg Goblin Beastrider
Goblin Warrior x2

Squad 5 (60)
Ogg Goblin Beastrider
Goblin Warrior x2

Squad 6 (60)
Ogg Goblin Beastrider
Goblin Warrior x2

Squad 7
Hill Giant 198

Squad 8
Hill Giant 198

Squad 9
Hill Giant 198

Squad 10

Luck Stone 3

Edited by SirArthurIV
1 person likes this

Okay, this list is just a shameless exploit of the Reven noghra Doctrine, but do you think that the list is viable.

999pts

Squad 1 (102)

Dantral Half-orc

Goblin Warrior x6

Squad 2 (60)

Ogg Goblin Beastrider

Goblin Warrior x2

Squad 3 (60)

Ogg Goblin Beastrider

Goblin Warrior x2

Squad 4 (60)

Ogg Goblin Beastrider

Goblin Warrior x2

Squad 5 (60)

Ogg Goblin Beastrider

Goblin Warrior x2

Squad 6 (60)

Ogg Goblin Beastrider

Goblin Warrior x2

Squad 7

Hill Giant 198

Squad 8

Hill Giant 198

Squad 9

Hill Giant 198

Squad 10

Luck Stone 3

Lots of activations and models, so you potentially have good control of the battlefield and when and where the combat engagement takes place. Facing 3 hill giants in 1000pts is formidable and also helps control the field. I would only worry about archer swarms and some potent magic users, but even then, the hill giants have good MD. If you play it please post how it goes!

1 person likes this

On 1/3/2017 at 7:40 PM, Memphisto said:

Lots of activations and models, so you potentially have good control of the battlefield and when and where the combat engagement takes place. Facing 3 hill giants in 1000pts is formidable and also helps control the field. I would only worry about archer swarms and some potent magic users, but even then, the hill giants have good MD. If you play it please post how it goes!

I could see this functioning well in synergy with the Giant's reach! This would be an intimidating list to play against for sure!

If only we could have more giants...

17 hours ago, Orange said:

I could see this functioning well in synergy with the Giant's reach! This would be an intimidating list to play against for sure!

If only we could have more giants...

I have a similar list to try out soon and I am really itching to try it out mainly because of how mean the Giants are.