Here is the first of Oddball's lists. Its a Stampede!

Troop 1

Oddball (Boris Mingla)

Theda, Priestess of Thezrael

Mercenary Spearman x 3

Luck Stone

Minotaur x 3

Street Thug x 6

Troop 2

Deckard Nightveil, Death Priest

Olivia, Priestess of Shadarzaddi

Darkthrall Cultist x 13

Troop 3

Reven hunting beast using Brass bull

Troop 4

Reven hunting beast Brass bull

So Mercs have 6 models with the Bludgeon SA. However 5 of those models are on standard bases. So who can they bludgeon?

I think you can do equal base size and they get a -1 instead of -2

Nice list! That list looks like it'll be a lot of fun to play. It's a creative use of their FA to use other factions soldiers for sure. ::D:

Standard sized bases can bludgeon other standard sized based to incur a -1 on defensive strikes. It's not as significant as the -2 a larger base incurs but sometimes it's enuogh to save your skin heheh.

Joshua

So Mercs have 6 models with the Bludgeon SA. However 5 of those models are on standard bases. So who can they bludgeon?

FWIW, I count 7 mercs that have it, and 6 of them are on Std bases (3 captains, 1 elite, 2 soldiers).

~v

Losing the Sisters and the Lupines really limits the Mercs. I've not played them since 2e came out but they are really thin on soldiers and monsters/solos.

Their magic looks pretty impressive and their faction abilities seem better. Does anyone play them? What doctrines do you take?

Losing the Sisters and the Lupines really limits the Mercs. I've not played them since 2e came out but they are really thin on soldiers and monsters/solos.

Their magic looks pretty impressive and their faction abilities seem better. Does anyone play them? What doctrines do you take?

The 2e Mercs are still very effective, check out the final standings of the ReaperCon tournament this year and you will find that the players who took second and third place both played Mercs. Their army lists are included to give you some ideas.

ReaperCon Tournament Results

The 2e Mercs are still very effective, check out the final standings of the ReaperCon tournament this year and you will find that the players who took second and third place both played Mercs. Their army lists are included to give you some ideas.

ReaperCon Tournament Results

I read about them after the tournament.

I think the Mercs are much better in a lot of ways, but they seem overloaded with leaders and elites (25 cards) and have few soldier choices (10), and only 3 solos. I guess the soldiers seem thin to me because the four Mercenary types are pretty much generic template cards. Granted cheap generic soldiers can be quite effective.

I may play a Merc army at GenCon. I really like both doctrines and both Warlord abilities, and the range and magic is top notch.

I have seen lots of local people complain about the mercs, saying very similar things to what you are saying. But, then I ask them to try them out a few times. And 8 out 10 come back very surprised and happy about how they really play.

Has their focus and approach to the game changed since the Rage Chronicle versions? Yes, indeed. With the loss of the sisters and koborlas they have definitely changed. And if people play them with the same personality then they might be a bit dissapointed, but if they take a little time to look at the current strengths of the faction, they are usually surprised at just how much more flexible they are and how much more depth they have compared to some other factions due to the range of magic they have access to, not to mention the faction ability to go and take models and equipment from other factions.

And one of my favorite spells in the entire game is the Merc Blade Barrier. Take a few casters, maybe a couple of familiars and run around casting that spell wreaks havoc all over the board. Well, at least it does the first game you use it. Your opponent will never forget that one and then it becomes a little harder to try that one again. But, it sure is fun.

Another fun list I took once, was actually bringing over 4 Nefsokar Sokar Prophets with 8 Minotaurs. Had me 8 DR2 minotaurs running around cleaving stuff. It was nasty.

Anyway.. end point is, look em over, see what's new and how you can maximize whatever cool thing you find. And then just have fun with it.

In a fit of anger (or pure accident), Wildbill broke off Orba's arm when fighting the Big Red Dragon. As I was putting him away (Orba, not Wildbill) I thought about finding a better Reaper proxy for him, a really cool barbarian Conan style. Then LO! What do I see? A model already in my Reaper drawers that is perfect! In fact, I recall buying this guy just for the purpose of replacing Orba. Armless, Orba can't fight back. So I snag this model. But wait! Look next to it! Another great Reaper barbarian! It's my proxy Boris (who just happens to be called Boris so it fits perfectly). And suddenly all kinds of merc plans I made last year washed over me again. SO without delay, here are my new Merc Warlords.

Orba is Goldar 3461.

Boris is Boris 2938.

What was the reasoning behind not letting Mercs Change of Heart work for Savage North, too? It's one data card. Please. Pretty please.

Great question.

What was the reasoning behind not letting Mercs Change of Heart work for Savage North, too? It's one data card. Please. Pretty please.

I may have missed something, but I would assume that it does work with Savage North

A Change of Heart You may choose a single Data Card from another faction and change its Affiliation to Mercenary/Neutral. You can change any Data Card. If you choose to change a Soldier Card or a non-unique Model, then the change applies to all of those Models. For example, if you're fielding an all Mercenary Army, and you want to bring a group of Crimson Knights, you may use A Change of Heart on the Crimson Knight Data Card. They will become Mercenary/Neutral in your Mercenary Army only.

I couldn't find anything in the FAQ on reapergames.com or the Forums that say otherwise. Could you link to where you heard this from?